rs aero

Gouvernail

Lottsa people don’t know I’m famous
Austin Texas
Dead thread but Spring is just around the corner.  Anyone know of any used Aero 9s in Texas?  One also with a 7 rig would be even better.  Chartered one at Wurstfest '16 and regret not buying one of the boats immediately afterward.
I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan. 
Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
I could sell mine and get another. That has always been my fleet building plan. 
Send me a text or email and we can discuss condition, associated goodies, and price. 
Thanks, Fred.  Tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive messages.  Don't have your phone or email and I forget your business' name.

Looking for a fairly stock boat that hasn't been abused and not much rubbing-is-racing damage.  Sail(s) suitable for club racing.  Haven't kept up with the available updates but I see there are a few from watching Peter Barton's videos. 

If you're wanting to build a circuit fleet, I'm not a good candidate.  I intend to sail only at LCYC.  I detest highway travel, especially I-35. Damages my calm and harshes my mellow after racing.  Took me almost four hours to get back to San Antonio last time I raced at AYC, two of which just to get back to 35. 

Larry

RSsailingNA

Boston, MA
Aero Sailing Week happening now in Jensen Beach, FL.

28 Aeros were registered but some have dropped out due to COVID concerns.

This pas weekend was Aero Florida State Champs and this upcoming is Aero Midwinters.

Here's an awesome video from reigning Aero World Champion Marc Jacobi and his training Partner Madhavan Thirumalai.

tillerman

Super Anarchist
Rhode Island
Close racing, a super friendly class, a truly modern sailboat, and great support from enthusiastic dealers - it's not hard to work out why the RS Aero Fleet is growing so rapidly in North America. 

Video from RS Aero Midwinters last weekend in Jensen Beach, Florida.

Last edited by a moderator:

Board skiff

Super Anarchist
Sure doesn’t look like the type of winter sailing I’m used to!  But it’s lovely to see boats racing, we’ve been banned since Christmas :(

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
Thanks, Fred.  Tried to PM you but it said you cannot receive messages.  Don't have your phone or email and I forget your business' name.

Looking for a fairly stock boat that hasn't been abused and not much rubbing-is-racing damage.  Sail(s) suitable for club racing.  Haven't kept up with the available updates but I see there are a few from watching Peter Barton's videos. 

If you're wanting to build a circuit fleet, I'm not a good candidate.  I intend to sail only at LCYC.  I detest highway travel, especially I-35. Damages my calm and harshes my mellow after racing.  Took me almost four hours to get back to San Antonio last time I raced at AYC, two of which just to get back to 35. 

Larry
AYC to LCYC ...

leave AYC..turn left on Hudson bend road. T

one mile turn right on RR620

about seven miles turn right on Bee Caves Parkway...Next light after Home depot road

Bee caves parkway becomes Hamilton pool road about a mile from 620...go seven more miles and turn left on Highway 12.

Drive a while on 12.AFTER WIMBERLY  you go a ways and meet highway 32 which is a big no stop inersection 

go right foa few miles and look for 2334 or something like that..It is the only four digit highway and only goes left.

in about a mile turn left on 306

It should look familiar by now...turn left uo the huill onto North Oark road.

it is about 55 miles total.ad the drive across Devils Backbone is gorgeous

The I-35 trip is more like 85 miles. 

If you miss Bee caves Parkway...turn right on 71 and left on Hamilton pool road at the first light

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
I juzst fixed up an AERO from Canyon lake.  My plan is to visit your winter series if there is a race that does not conflict with our J-80 racing here.

Bruce Hudson

Super Anarchist
New Zealand

Yes, everything does seem to be going carbon, Tillerman.

By the way, it is brilliant how you have consistently poked fun at Lasers / ILCA / me etc, and 'quietly' promoted the RS Aero in Laser forums.

Its been a few years. And being such a great idea, perhaps its time for Laser sailors to start posting and promoting ILCA in the RS Aero forums?

For everyone else, here's what Tillerman was reacting to - some excellent marketing in Italy which no doubt will have many composite bottom sections sold:
image.png

Tillerman's post is so brilliant that in my view it needs sharing here - in the RS Aero thread!

Last edited by a moderator:

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
I juzst fixed up an AERO from Canyon lake.  My plan is to visit your winter series if there is a race that does not conflict with our J-80 racing here.
I hope it was a second Aero from LCYC and not Chuck's.  Thought I might just head to Kolius in Houston and buy a new one.  Special order, apparently.  8-10 weeks after order, but with the plague, who really knows how long.  Guess I'll just take a wait and see for now.

And thanks for the back road directions to LCYC.  I used to play on those roads 35-50 years ago when there wasn't much of anything other than the Salt Lick and Camp Ben's swimming hole in that area.  Devil's Backbone was a great place to ride a motorcycle or look at the night skies before all the light pollution.  Brings back some other great memories, too, however foggy or...  But I live in San Antonio, not near LCYC.  If I'd known what a nightmare RR 620, Hwy 71 and I35 were going to be I'd have gone to Dripping Springs and taken 281. 

Last several days have been a real ride.  Electricity is back but now that it's defrosting, no water.  Freeze killed the pumps' juice and drained the water tower a few blocks away.  Hope you've managed to stay safe and warm.

RSsailingNA

Boston, MA
There are Aeros in stock in the US and we can get you one much faster than that if you'd like one.

That being said, all of Texas is in our thoughts right now and understand if you're not quite ready to buy.

If you are, please send me an email, [email protected] 

RedTuna

Super Anarchist
Texas
Bought a new boat; picking it up next week.  That will make three Aeros at LCYC.  Thank you, Todd at RSSailingNA and especially Marc at KO Sailing, for your time and effort.

Could someone please provide a copy of the North American class rules or a link that doesn't involve Facebook?  Assuming any differences from the Oct19 International Class rules, of course.

Anyone using a conventional compass?  How did you mount it to keep it clear of the vang line?  I have a Ritchie XP98 Tactician from my Weta that I like and hope to reuse.  I can't tell if the RSM-HF-903  triangular plate mount is suitable or even available here in the US.

RSsailingNA

Boston, MA
Bought a new boat; picking it up next week.  That will make three Aeros at LCYC.  Thank you, Todd at RSSailingNA and especially Marc at KO Sailing, for your time and effort.

Could someone please provide a copy of the North American class rules or a link that doesn't involve Facebook?  Assuming any differences from the Oct19 International Class rules, of course.

Anyone using a conventional compass?  How did you mount it to keep it clear of the vang line?  I have a Ritchie XP98 Tactician from my Weta that I like and hope to reuse.  I can't tell if the RSM-HF-903  triangular plate mount is suitable or even available here in the US.
So glad that worked out!

Class rules haven't been updated since October 2019 and can be found here https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=documents

There is a great Aero forum here: https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum and you can always email class manager in the UK Peter Barton [email protected] 

Code:
From this thread: [URL="https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=12&tid=9034"]https://www.rsaerosailing.org/index.asp?p=forum&fid=12&tid=9034[/URL]
The philosophy of the class is that it is a test of sailer ability and not technology; for example we want people to judge the start line distance and speed, not have it shown on a device.

The answers are found in Class Rules C.5.1 (a) (f) & (g).  In summary you are only allowed: (i) one compass and timing device provided it CAN ONLY provide information relating to boat heading and time, (ii) GPS BUT the data can only be displayed onshore after racing has finished, (iii) camera. 

The carbon compass mount is available in the US and Intensity Sails offer this https://www.intensitysails.com/natatidemofo.html

Gouvernail

Austin Texas
The RS AERO North America Facebook group has posts describing heart surgeries on Marc Jacobi. He is expected to recover but will be in intensive care for “at least a couple weeks.”

few people are in better shape or treat their own bodies better than Marc cares for himself. 

I figured this thread is a place to post this info 

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
The RS AERO North America Facebook group has posts describing heart surgeries on Marc Jacobi. He is expected to recover but will be in intensive care for “at least a couple weeks.”

few people are in better shape or treat their own bodies better than Marc cares for himself. 

I figured this thread is a place to post this info 
That's scary stuff...I hope that he recovers well.