rs aero

jfunk

Super Anarchist
I was coaching the other day and at the end of the day watching everyone pull their boats out, I noted there was one boat built after the 70's. The rest were before. Lasers Finns, Etchells... There are vast improvements that can be made to each of these, so maybe its time.
Looking at it from another angle - if almost everyone you saw was sailing designs made in the '70s, maybe it indicates that those boats still work very, very well?

The Aero does look very nice, though.
Not really mate, its more about what everyone else is sailing I think and YA's focus on Olympic classes.

Where I think this could be successful is older people who don't want to go to the Olympics in the laser and don't want to pull a finn up the beach at the end of the day. I don't know if it will take off, but I like it so far and I have always preferred Luca's stuff to RS's.

Also I am not anti old boats. My favourite design still, is over 50 years old.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
I like the Aero, but I like me Kite dinghy more, wood spars and all...but it is only a 73.

CatPause1.jpg

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
ok, launch pricing has been finalized and (in North America at least), you should see pre-order and deposit information next week.

It might be 9-10 months away, but I've already got customers who want to put down deposits, so I think this is the real deal.

Dex Sawash

Demi Anarchrist
NC USA
atefooterz said:
Is this like a windup thread one reads on an auto forum about a new celica & folks note that a datto180B actually has similar functionality?
No, more like "that RS is nice but I like sandwiches, and kittens"

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
Why bother with transom flaps when the floor is 4" above the keel?

Who cares if water gets in when you're faffing around the stern getting off the shore?
Assuming the false floor is as low as possible for ergonomic reasons then water coming in the back whilst roll tacking in light airs can be an issue. Last year I was sailing an antique Moth that I'm really about thirty pounds too heavy for, (old enough to have cockpit, but young enough to be open stern/self draining) and it could be a real struggle to keep the boat dry.

Last edited by a moderator:

ortegakid

Super Anarchist
Whitesboro,TEXAS
Dinghy transoms are there to keep the beer (cans) in...duh! No wonder you dodgers don't have as much fun on the water, as some of us do.
Know dat's right, used to have that problem on my J18,and Mx, now on the AC, have to wear them on a bandolier or in small flat cooler to fit under seat, and lash to main cleat so they don't leave me when I capsize!

duncan (the other one)

Super Anarchist
Siderney
Why bother with transom flaps when the floor is 4" above the keel?

Who cares if water gets in when you're faffing around the stern getting off the shore?
Assuming the false floor is as low as possible for ergonomic reasons then water coming in the back whilst roll tacking in light airs can be an issue. Last year I was sailing an antique Moth that I'm really about thirty pounds too heavy for, (old enough to have cockpit, but young enough to be open stern/self draining) and it could be a real struggle to keep the boat dry.
Jim.. and Chris.. I understand now.

I'm afraid I'm spolit by 15+C winter water temperatures.. didn't consider the frozen-toe aspects.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Dinghy transoms are there to keep the beer (cans) in...duh! No wonder you dodgers don't have as much fun on the water, as some of us do.
Know dat's right, used to have that problem on my J18,and Mx, now on the AC, have to wear them on a bandolier or in small flat cooler to fit under seat, and lash to main cleat so they don't leave me when I capsize!

....yeh,,gone are th'days of bottle-weight-jackets

...I miss those daze :mellow:

sgoodall

Speaking as an old Laser sailor, l like it! But to me, the leech of the sail looks a bit shorter than it needs to be......and I've yet to see even a still shot (let alone video) of it sheeted all the way in, going upwind. Why is that, I wonder??

sgoodall

Also, the RS blurb says something about it not being possible to use modern laminates for the sail, due to the bendy rig (!). What about modern Finn sails etc.? I don't buy it, and I think the boat deserves a modern, laminate sail. Just my 2 cents.

BobBill

Super Anarchist
SE Minnesota.
Am curious...how can one tell leech (roach) from pic and how can that be matched to hull as it goes?

I had a Laser too (once) now a-lolligagging in ancient Kite dinghy, cause I am fat, older and lazy-except when the Kite flops and I have to climb back board...old.

WestCoast

Super Anarchist
Also, the RS blurb says something about it not being possible to use modern laminates for the sail, due to the bendy rig (!). What about modern Finn sails etc.? I don't buy it, and I think the boat deserves a modern, laminate sail. Just my 2 cents.
I'm not a sailmaker, but I've been told, the carbon spars are not coming from the usual manufacturers.

It's conceivable to me that the spars are bendy/whippy enough where a high quality dacron sail will fit the bend better than mylar/laminate.

Also, dacron sails *typically* are less expensive.

--

For a boat designed for a lot of people to enjoy, keeping the price down would be a reasonable goal. You could get the RS100 if you want the full tech program.

I don't know if sail design is finalized yet or if material choice is confirmed... but, they've been testing it on the water for a few years now, so I assume they have done the analysis on what material works best.

Again, just what I've been told. Martin, Alex or Riki know the reasons why.

Presuming Ed

Super Anarchist
London, UK
How much are Finn sails (and masts) tuned to each individual sailor's weight?