RS Toura?

Roller Skates

Super Anarchist
North
My understanding was that it was a longer, more adult Quest. There was some equivalent LP boat that isn’t being produced anymore (can’t remember which) and they’re trying to nab the market.

0F73E774-BEA4-4784-9241-CFA1B8D5AF9A.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
@Roller Skates is very warm here.

The LP boat was the 'Bahia' - which was popular with clubs/learn to sail programs.

Believe the first Toura will arrive in North America this spring.
Expect it to do well.
It'll be great to see a boat in the Bahia segment. Lighter would be lovely but I'm not sure if that's doable with rotomolding.

Dave Clark

Anarchist
Rhode Island
Just like the Opti, C420/I420 will be damn hard to displace. Network effects, etc.
Somewhat more possible if you control the import of Chinese C420s, AKA all C420s (Zim) and the have the only CFJ building setup left (Zim). George Yioulos' Starting Line Sailing holding company now owns both West Coast and Zim. So he's got the majority of the levers to give it a whirl. Go get 'em George!

DRC

keving

Fingers crossed. Still have yet to see a truly effective rotomoulded alternative to 420/FJ in scholastic sailing. Here's hoping. 
This is what I have wanted for years! We will still keep a couple fiberglass 420s for the few regattas a year we have to travel to with our own boats, but the vast majority of our high school regattas are in supplied boats. I would much rather maintain a fleet of plastic boats than a fleet of fiberglass boats that are sailed by beginning high school sailors.

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
Fingers crossed. Still have yet to see a truly effective rotomoulded alternative to 420/FJ in scholastic sailing. Here's hoping. 
Roto builds beach boats and learner boats. Too heavy for race boats. So go ahead and quote the Feva in response. That's not a race boat.

Xeon

Anarchist
England
Roto builds beach boats and learner boats. Too heavy for race boats. So go ahead and quote the Feva in response. That's not a race boat.
Just because the Feva is relatively slow and sailed by kids doesn’t mean it’s not a race boat, it is. Works because it’s small.

But in general I do agree with you about roto boats . The main problem is that it just doesn’t scale up well . By the time you get over 12 foot long they are just too heavy and floppy to provide a good sailing experience. Certainly all roto boats I’ve sailed from laser/topper and RS have been very poor and if they had been my first experience of sailing , it would have been my last .

I have heard good things about some of the roto boats from Hartleys but I haven’t sailed any of them . I do have some hope they might be a little better than the offering from the other manufacturers as some of them were designed by Dan  Holman who cut his teeth designing the D-zero , which is a terrific boat .  :D

European Bloke

Super Anarchist
I do have some hope they might be a little better than the offering from the other manufacturers as some of them were designed by Dan  Holman who cut his teeth designing the D-zero , which is a terrific boat .  :D
Jo Richards, Phil Morrison et al are fantastic designers. They have all designed shitters for Topper/Laser/RS. They do so because the brief was for a shitter so a shitter is what they be paid for.

keving

That may be true, I have no experience as a boat builder. Some of the early fiberglass boats were really heavy and perform just fine though. The lido 14 is 310lbs. and performs about the same as a 420 with a 230lbs hull weight. (performance is at least in the same ball park) The Lido does not roll tack as easily, but it is also 6' wide. 

Steam Flyer

Super Anarchist
Eastern NC
The 420 is a 60's 50's design and weighs like one. It's a fat fuck, no one would design a boat like that now.
Oh, the hull is not completely terrible. The humps and hollows add rigidity to plain-vanilla fiberglass. And it sails sorta OK under a wide range of conditions.

The main design "feature" I find annoying is the way they scoop water in at the transom corner. I'd like a boat without that, please.

- DSK