Rudder lay-up/Vacuum bagging

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
/monthly_08_2010/post-1821-016831800%201282673212_thumb.jpgIn the near future I'll be laying up a rudder and centerboard which have milled cores. The lay-up schedule calls for wrapping the uni up over the top of the tiller tube and down the other side of the head for strength. Clearly I have to lay-up one side at a time but the question is, how would you set up the rudder core for effective vacuum bagging, is just laying it on the table good enough? The lay-up schedule doesn't call for draping the cloth over the leading edge so standing the blade upright won't work.

Attachments

• Blades.jpg
    Blades.jpg
    983 KB · Views: 2
Last edited by a moderator:
Lay your laminate schedule out on the bench with the inside laminates on top, place core on top with tip lined up to one end. Fold over and wet out the laminates to the other end and then flip the core about the rudder head, Fold over and wet out remaining laminates. Vacuum and bobs your uncle.

Be sure to properly prepare your workspace. I always do a dry run to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (peel ply or whatever...) Those 7P's get you pretty far

WCB

Super Anarchist
Park City, UT
Lay your laminate schedule out on the bench with the inside laminates on top, place core on top with tip lined up to one end. Fold over and wet out the laminates to the other end and then flip the core about the rudder head, Fold over and wet out remaining laminates. Vacuum and bobs your uncle.

Be sure to properly prepare your workspace. I always do a dry run to make sure I'm not forgetting anything (peel ply or whatever...) Those 7P's get you pretty far
Thanks for the help, Russell. Good tip on laying up the laminate dry.