Rudder Repair

Bull City

A fine fellow
North Carolina
I was concerned about a soggy rudder (that's rutter on Mocking CraigsList thread), and asked the yard to do the hole test. They said nothing dripped. 40-year-old boat. Is that possible?

DDW

Super Anarchist
Possible but improbable. More possible if you haul after a short season. A well wielded moisture meter would tell the story....

allweather

baltic
Hey Bull, just chatted with the association's technical representative on my own repair work and he wouldn't expect them to be dry, but said it can be possible.
One option he recommended to me is to drill a small hole(2mm) in the top and apply some air pressure to check if there is water inside. But if its dry, why worry and drill holes?

Well, I look to open up mine tomorrow one way or the other. If its dry too, that points towards being lucky.

allweather

baltic
Very dry as far as I can see, also cut off a piece since I needed access and the foam is bone dry as well.
Will see if a local yard can measure (a piece of) the laminate and see what those readings say before I start faring and painting in a month.

Forty year old and still looks nice...