Russia learns a lesson from Hitler

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
Since the actual establishment of this country, we have never had a foreign conflict take place on our own land. I think that this has influenced how American's see conflict and war in other countries. Since they have never witnessed the destruction and the long time evidence of war, they don't think it's a big thing. There is a detachment to seeing bodies of civilians in pictures and that is how a lot of people like it.
Christ, some of you are pathetic. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/War_of_1812
I think you both forgot about a slightly bigger & more recent one, that little Unpleasantness Between The States.

However, I agree with the idea that it's been a long time and most USAnians are not particularly sympathetic to having a war in your country.

- DSK

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
The Aroostook War, 1838-1839: Our enemies to the North tried to claim that much of Maine was theirs, prompting U.S. patriots to have to fight for our land!

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
I think you both forgot about a slightly bigger & more recent one, that little Unpleasantness Between The States.

However, I agree with the idea that it's been a long time and most USAnians are not particularly sympathetic to having a war in your country.

- DSK
I spent an entire day at Gettysburg, and could not absorb the reality of 50,000 dead in just three days. 

Steam Flyer

Sophisticated Yet Humble
Eastern NC
I spent an entire day at Gettysburg, and could not absorb the reality of 50,000 dead in just three days. 
Gettysburg is intense. It's notable there, that the battle took place outside of town and there wasn't much damage. Compare that to Petersburg and Richmond.

Also, walk around the Shiloh battlefield. Bring a lunch, it's a long walk!

- DSK

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
I walk through Oakland Cemetery where there are rows of confederate dead and the Lion of Atlanta overlooked their final resting place.  

I'd like the statutes of the racists on the front lawn of the capital removed to the cemetery where they belong.

Last edited by a moderator:

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
Gettysburg is intense. It's notable there, that the battle took place outside of town and there wasn't much damage. Compare that to Petersburg and Richmond.

Also, walk around the Shiloh battlefield. Bring a lunch, it's a long walk!

- DSK
I was in Vietnam for two years, saw death daily, but could not wrap my head around 3.5 million dead Vietnamese civilians and soldiers.

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
I was in Vietnam for two years, saw death daily, but could not wrap my head around 3.5 million dead Vietnamese civilians and soldiers.
I lived with a Vietnamese student my first year out of high school.  It was interesting for me to talk with him.  Reading is nice, I'm glad I didn't experience it first hand.  I'm glad you made it back.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Since the actual establishment of this country, In the last 200 years we have never had a foreign conflict take place on our own land. I think that this has influenced how American's see conflict and war in other countries. Since they have never witnessed the destruction and the long time evidence of war, they don't think it's a big thing. There is a detachment to seeing bodies of civilians in pictures and that is how a lot of people like it.

Edit. Sorry, I forgot about the war of 1812.
I am going to disagree. When we (collectively) see some genocidal war in Africa or the latest Mideast atrocity, it is very hard not to think "Well there they go again" :rolleyes: These are people not like us in a place not like here that seem to kill each other whenever the mood strikes. Yes this is a racist/classist/1st worldist and generally deplorable way to think, but it is also human nature.

When we see Ukrainians on TV, they look like us, they dress like us, they could BE us. My general impression is that any Americans I know are vastly more upset about this than the usual wars in the usual places.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Agree there is some "a pretty blond blue eyed girl is missing" going on but the big difference is this isn't a civil war in Africa or some ME country (Syria) where they have been fighting forever - it's a former part of the USSR that has managed to become a democracy invaded by the bully bear.  Much easier to understand than even the conflicts in former Yugoslavia.  Russia hasn't learned anything yet - the population only gets it's info from state propaganda. 

What I find interesting is so many Republicans who have been the party of no now want us to send everything we have.  It's an all or nothing mentality and diplomacy is beyond their grasp - this has to be a united response and support for Ukraine is growing world wide daily.

phillysailor

Super Anarchist
I’m not convinced the crematoriums are for Ukrainians. Putin doesn’t need or want to cover up their deaths.

I think he doesn’t want Russians learning how many of their boys died, and in what manner.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
History repeats,  like that meme that was floating about here, can we skip to the bit where the asshole is holed up in a bunker with no options and a mistress that is already dead.....Pootie must know its over, he underestimated the pushback, his poor military capabilities and the sanctions are going to turn a lot of his friends into enemies, can an Et tu be far-away?

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
3 hours ago, badlatitude said:

Murderers covering their tracks: Russian mobile crematoriums start working in Mariupol

That is another one that brings these old images to mind. As well as the Kuwaiti baby incubators.

image.jpeg
images

hasher

Super Anarchist
Insanity
History repeats,  like that meme that was floating about here, can we skip to the bit where the asshole is holed up in a bunker with no options and a mistress that is already dead.....Pootie must know its over, he underestimated the pushback, his poor military capabilities and the sanctions are going to turn a lot of his friends into enemies, can an Et tu be far-away?
I always thought the Romans never did appreciate Julius.  Damn Senate.

Navig8tor

Super Anarchist
I always thought the Romans never did appreciate Julius.  Damn Senate.
I have a feeling Pooties gonna have to watch out for the elites in the Duma, the ones that can no longer jetset and enrol their children in US ivy leagues.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
9 minutes ago, Ed Lada said:

Note the date on the video. (2013)  Advertised to incinerate medical waste.

The video was just to show the way it works. The media would give anything for a live example.

Latest posts