Russia warns it may cut bilateral ties with United States

Mid

Blues Rule
23 minutes ago
(08:41 GMT)

Russia warns it may cut bilateral ties with United States​

A senior Russian official said Moscow had told Washington that if the US Senate passed a law singling out Russia as a “state sponsor of terrorism”, diplomatic ties would be badly damaged and could even be broken off.

Alexander Darchiev, head of the ministry’s North American Department, was quoted as saying US influence on Ukraine had increased to the degree that “Americans are increasingly becoming more and more a direct party in the conflict”.

The United States and Europe, wary of being dragged directly into the war, have refused Ukraine’s request to establish a no-fly zone to help it protect its skies from Russian missiles and warplanes.

Lark

Supper Anarchist
Ohio
As long as they retain direct ties to Ron Paul and Trump, they don’t really need to waste time talking to the state department.

mikewof

mikewof
Don't let the door hit you in the ass on the way out.
(like they want all their KGB agents over here to lose their diplomatic cover anyway)
It's a really, really bad idea to brush this off.

Diplomatic ties with Russia is probably THE cornerstone of the success of the Nonprolieration Treaty and for the continuing peace between the USA and Russia.

Russia and Ukraine need to find peace, and the world should help stimulate and incentivize that. But we do not need to lose our open ties with Russia.

BeSafe

Super Anarchist
The Germans should have three 'quickie' style LNG terminals up by winter - they're basically converting tankers, anchoring them, and connecting pipes so they act as floating intermediaries. Two more are in the works but won't be online until mid 2023 at the earliest. In Ukraine, the Russians have begun their encirclement of Kharkiv but that's also not expected to be completed before winter. Its going to be a rough Christmas.

badlatitude

Super Anarchist
It's a really, really bad idea to brush this off.

Diplomatic ties with Russia is probably THE cornerstone of the success of the Nonprolieration Treaty and for the continuing peace between the USA and Russia.

Russia and Ukraine need to find peace, and the world should help stimulate and incentivize that. But we do not need to lose our open ties with Russia.
You make sense as usual Mike, but this time, Putin must go and he needs to be turned over to the Hague. I can't see a future for any partnership with Putin involved.

Grog

Anarchist's Anarchist
Germany
Agreed; but the Germans still get a third of their gas from Putin, so that's a small problem, no?

No, not really.

Northstream 2 never went live and Northstream 1 has been throttled down to 20% capacity in June/July and has been reduced since then.

I do agree that my Government should have slammed the door into Putin's face a while back and should be more decisive and quicker to support the Ukraine with the best we can afford to ship to them.

On topic: I hope the remaining diplomatic channels are used to condemn the russians and their mercenaries to take a (any) nuclear power plant hostage. I hope the US and NATO have made it unmistakeably clear that any radiation leak caused by shelling a power plant will be answered. The answer may be establishing and enforcing a no-fly zone over Ukraine and a 30 mile+ demilitarised zone in Russia on every border to NATO members, NATO prospects and Ukraine.

Sol Rosenberg

Girthy Member
Earth

Guess who's visiting Canada next week?
Perfect. More business between free countries is always good. Let’s promote everyone but autocrats, especially those who invade free countries.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
No, not really.

Northstream 2 never went live and Northstream 1 has been throttled down to 20% capacity in June/July and has been reduced since then.

NBC National News reported recently that Germany still got a third of its gas from Russia, so I'm not making it up. Perhaps their info was out of date?

As to what we or NATO should do about the Russian invasion, I think it is deplorable, but we have to rely on the experts who will hopefully do the right thing.

jhc

Super Anarchist
You make sense as usual Mike, but this time, Putin must go and he needs to be turned over to the Hague. I can't see a future for any partnership with Putin involved.
Good idea. As a good will gesture we could offer up "w" and cheney

mikewof

mikewof

If Russia/USSR could tolerate Ronald Reagan and the Dulles Brothers before him, we can tolerate Putin for as much longer as he lasts, which seems like a year or three.

As bad as the invasion has been for the Ukranian people, breaking ties with Russia will not help bring peace. Economic isolation is one thing, but diplomatic isolation can't help bring peace. There are about 10,000 reasons (the number of nukes between USA and Russia) that we need to preserve seventy-five years of delicate and difficult peacemaking with the Russian people.

As for the dock at the Hague, the highest profile leader ever to end up there has been Slobodan Milosevic, and that was due to a bilateral effort from Russia and the USA. There is no conceivable way that Putin ends up there, short of invading and conquering Russia, which is not possible without a global thermonuclear war.

Last edited:

mikewof

mikewof
The Germans should have three 'quickie' style LNG terminals up by winter - they're basically converting tankers, anchoring them, and connecting pipes so they act as floating intermediaries. Two more are in the works but won't be online until mid 2023 at the earliest. In Ukraine, the Russians have begun their encirclement of Kharkiv but that's also not expected to be completed before winter. Its going to be a rough Christmas.

The words "quickie" and "LNG", when used together, make me wince.