S2 10.3- Any thoughts?

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
One of our gang is buying an S2 10.3 (Minstrel, Lake Champlain, VT.) We've had lots of experience on the 7.9. We'll be racing the 10.3 on the Long Island Sound. Any thoughts as to sailing to its rating, etc? I've tried searching with no luck- apologies if I've missed earlier posts.

Grizz

Beats the crap out of me
Northport, NY
Thanks, on your qtr- The base rating on LIS is 117. I was wondering whether it sails to its rating. How do the Lake Michigan boats do in PHRF?

They just do local club racing and I don't have access to thier results. The one race Wrangler was in (Tri-state / St. Joe.-Mich. City leg) it shows as DNF. Sorry I can't be of further help.

d'ranger

Super Anarchist
Sailing to it's rating is a broad brush. Who is the competition? The 10.3 has a great interior, if you are racing against boats much lighter it will have a hard time in light air - T10 and J29 for example. In breeze it will handle the chop better. If you are LIS hopefully you will be matched with similar boats and should do fine.

It's a great boat, well made and equipped, like most of it's age you will get your share of white knuckle moments in big air down wind.

Trendsetter

Super Anarchist
Cape Cod
this boat sails pretty damn good in light air, considering it is in the sam class as a catalina 380.. if your put in with the other cruisers.. you can walk most of them in light air.. in heavy air it also does pretty good and holds its own. a very nice and well built boat

jsharkey

Toronto
There was one out at BIRW in the late 1990's that dominated their class and won PHRF boat of the week sailing against T-10's, J/30, and J/29's. I think it was from RI.

seadog14

Mi
Several on Lk Michigan. Check CYC Mac race results.. or South Shore Yacht Club, Queens CUp race results, boat name: ENCORE

like everything else... it takes time to learn a new boat, but S2's are well built. It's a great racer cruiser.

Good Luck!

il1395

Great boats. I raced on one for several years on Lake Erie, and now race on one on the Potomac and Chesapeake. Awesome boats. Well built. Comfortable. Good all-around performers. Hard to find used ones for sale...and I wasn't aware of one in VT being available. Only one I know of currently for sale in in MA. If this deal on the boat in VT falls through, send me some contact info....I might be interested in it myself.

sloansailing

Anarchist
Anacortes
I raced against a well sailed 10.3 in Annapolis named Fetish. It was a good program and they always did well. The boat is competitive in light air.

big chicken

Super Anarchist
I'm on a boat
We got ours last year and it has been great fun. As mentioned, they are not the lightest boats out there racing and in our PHRF B fleet (we're at 120) we generally struggle against the 96 raters (Evelyn 32, J92, etc.), a well sailed Santana 35 at 126, and have our good and bad days against the J29s and others. It's a fun boat, can be a handful as noted off the wind when it's blowing (I did a lot of "dialing for dollars" on the Mills Race this year, going fast but working hard with the chute up in 20 or so with good waves off the quarter). The amenities are great (we make our own ice cubes, what's wrong with that picture?), cook in the oven, crap in a real head, do a lot of evening pleasure sailing, spent a week cruising this summer and generally enjoy life aboard a cruiseable boat after having raced a Soverel 33 previously.

If you are looking for the ultimate performance racing boat for PHRF, you may want to think about something else, but if you are looking for a good compromise boat, the 10.3 is worth considering.

MidPack

Super Anarchist
undecided
Several on Lk Michigan. Check CYC Mac race results.. or South Shore Yacht Club, Queens CUp race results, boat name: ENCORE
like everything else... it takes time to learn a new boat, but S2's are well built. It's a great racer cruiser.

Good Luck!
There are more results out there (Lake Mich) for Wrangler too. They are competitive among other displacement boats and the boat can stand up to heavy weather. But they are not competitive in light air against most any more modern, lighter design (and I don't mean all out sportboats, you'd have trouble against most of the J/Sprit boats for example and they don't do well in PHRF generally). Like another poster said, not an ideal PHRF choice in most conditions unless your strictly racing with other displacement boats.

Last edited by a moderator:

dyslexic dog

Super Anarchist
Michigan
There are more results out there (Lake Mich) for Wrangler too. They are competitive among other displacement boats and the boat can stand up to heavy weather. But they are not competitive in light air against most any more modern, lighter design (and I don't mean all out sportboats, you'd have trouble against most of the J/Sprit boats for example and they don't do well in PHRF generally). Like another poster said, not an ideal PHRF choice in most conditions unless your strictly racing with other displacement boats.
Yeah, but Encore is the only boat that has been owned by two people named "Corky"

and it has been racing in most of the distance races for a long time. Nice boat and good folks who sail it.

@last

Anarchist
I believe one called "Limerick" has also done very well in years past in the PH Mac race.......

Latest posts