Sad Man Sold His Olson 25 — Pls Help Me Find Another Sled

bb5

A little over a year ago, in a time of confusion and mindlessness I sold my nearly perfect Olson 25. I am certain her new owner loves and treats her well—it is the way of things

I’m in the midst of reworking a fast Cal20 and every time I look below deck I feel a deep pain in my chest—as much as I love this little Lapworth designed sloop and the Southern CA Cal20 scene, it is not the answer. I need more comfort.

I want my O25 back. I need one of her sisters or something similar, to tour the Channel Islands and do some Shorthanded PHRF with.

Help me find another boat!
- well under 5000lbs total, for my local hoist

- camper comfy like the O25 was

- fast and fun like the O25 was

- not hammered, I have the Cal20 to hone my epoxy skills on

Please send leads and ideas to a distraught man.

Last edited by a moderator:

Fakenews

Super Anarchist
Hard to find but I sailed on a SR 27.  It was a lot of fun and ticks all the boxes including weight.

Last edited by a moderator:

bb5

knowing why you sold the O25 might help others advise you better.
The sale had nothing to do with the boat, it was a gem.

E7D2B576-4686-46E4-91A0-26F28192E8D4_1_105_c.jpeg

bb5

Thanks for all of the great ideas. Some more thoughts:

- I have a dry/trailer spot at my club and 25 is the limit on length, for now. 

- Monohull

- I have a near new Tohatsu 6hp long shaft to put to use, so outboard makes the most sense. 

- Prefer to have a designed spot for a porta-potty. 

- I'd put a furling jib on the next boat, as it will be singlehanded regularly.

Again, I know the O25 checked all my boxes. I imagine a Merit 25 would work well. As would others. 

Thanks again for the brainstorm.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
We have a nice O25 up in Ventura. The old guy has a big power boat too. He just bought a new galvanized trailer for it. He may entertain offers.

Of course I always entertain offers on my 26.

Both boats are at VYC so it would be a fruitful visit.

dolphinmaster

Super Anarchist
Chapel Hill, NC
We have a nice O25 up in Ventura. The old guy has a big power boat too. He just bought a new galvanized trailer for it. He may entertain offers.

Of course I always entertain offers on my 26.

Both boats are at VYC so it would be a fruitful visit.
For MW's ride, you can tell your club it's a Zap 25, perfect fit :)

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
I came across an ad for an O25 in the Seattle area. I have no knowledge of the condition, etc. but PM if you are interested, and I can fw the ad to you. At least it is closer than VA...

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
There is a 2009  Martin 244 for sale at less than $13k in the Seattle area: https://seattle.craigslist.org/tac/boa/d/gig-harbor-2009-martin-244-sailboat/7446007557.html 

Has Porta Potti.  Designed with furling jib. Flat top main.  IIRC sold mainly, if not exclusively to various PNW sailing clubs and schools as trainers.  Will sail circles around all the previously mentioned boats including Express 27.  Unfortunately saddled with a PHRF of something like 114 or so making it hard to sail to the rating.  Mind you, I believe they were raced mainly by crews of novices - I don't recall any being seriously campaigned.

For fewer $ there are quite a few older Martin 242s in SoCal racing OD (they were built there or a while, mainly for the SoCal fleet I suspect) and a large OD fleet in PNW. https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/martin-242 Again, a light air flyer with porta potti and furling jib.  PHRF typically round 156 in PHRF configuration and 147 in SoCal

Probably cheaper to get a 242 in SoCal because they still command a premium price in places like Vancouver.