Sad Sack 12?

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
I'd bet there's a scrap of the "main beam" with the reg. numbers and maybe the ballast keel.

No more than that.

But it's a "restoration", not a new boat. :rolleyes:

That paint job is pretty weird but I kinda like it. They must have spent more on masking tape than I have in my whole boat.
Hehehe, you’re right about the keel. Ollie Berking was pretty open in his little speech at the splash when he joked she‘s „about 70 percent original, because, well, you all know the ballast ratio of these boats.” 

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Ancient film racing at Torbay.
J -class yachts against trawlers.
According to the reporter, Astra, The J, came in third.
Torbay won, Belerian was second, both trawlers.
Perhaps the trawlers were better organised.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
This is another 12 metre going under.
View attachment 340381
12 metre Tycoon US-3 in hurricane Carol 1954.
Appropriate name isn't it?
Carol was second only to the Hurricane of '38 around here. One of the great tragedies of Carol was on Conanicut Island in RI. The school bus was crossing the narrow isthmus to the beavertail and got swept away. The children died. It was a horrible senseless tragedy in a small remote community. People still remember it.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
Carol was second only to the Hurricane of '38 around here. One of the great tragedies of Carol was on Conanicut Island in RI. The school bus was crossing the narrow isthmus to the beavertail and got swept away. The children died. It was a horrible senseless tragedy in a small remote community. People still remember it.
That is sad, real sad.

20 hours ago, Schakel said:

Ancient film racing at Torbay.
J -class yachts against trawlers.
According to the reporter, Astra, The J, came in third.
Torbay won, Belerian was second, both trawlers.
Perhaps the trawlers were better organised.

The guys who raced n the Js were usually professional Trawlermen, racing the J Boats out of fishing season and returning once the Sailing season shut down/FIshing Season began over the winter.

Schakel

Dayboat sailor
The guys who raced n the Js were usually professional Trawlermen, racing the J Boats out of fishing season and returning once the Sailing season shut down/FIshing Season began over the winter.
When I have lived in those years I would choose to be a trawlerman.
Fishing and sailing are both my hobbies.

Not everyone is a Lipton. Lipton made money with sailing as well.
The tea clippers are still famous for their speed and style.
great-tea-race-of-1866-ariel-and-taeping-montague-dawson.jpg
Above is the painting of the tea race in 1866 between Ariel and Taeping by Montague Dawson

SteveJH

So the J class were so hobbled by the universal rules that sailing trawlers were quicker?

And I saw from the RWYC images posted on the Fastnet thread that the first Fastnet was won be an ex-Pilot Cutter.

gt-MTb

This boat (Sad Sack 12) on the Clinton River is at Sarns Marine. It's been there since I've been going up there. She spent a little time on the bottom IIRC, rough looking boat.
Sad Sack was moved from Sarn's place to the east (down river). A life jacket was hung from the back stay as a navigation warning... then today, when we went past it... looks like it's getting some more time resting under the water...

1902AC5C-78F6-4979-B59C-B11EA0707FA3.jpeg
0F451025-4596-401F-98DC-66FBACA504F3.jpeg
949946B7-469C-420D-84A8-1EC72334BE6B.jpeg

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
I would be pretty hard pressed to keep a wooden 12 Meter in good shape if the boat was brand new and free. This is a big project that never ends.

OTOH if you can move the boat someplace that still has an active 12 Meter class going, you might get plenty of people wanting to join in your nutty idea. Far away from class racing, maybe not so much.......

( I was actually surprised to find the 12 Meter class chugging along probably about as well as it ever has)
BITD a 12 took a syndicate of really rich guys, usually 1/2 dozen or so, to build & run - they were too much for even a rich individual.

They are not for mere mortals.

gt-MTb

Looks like it was re-floated in the last day or two... don't know the story, but a couple guys seemed to be checking on it today...

40776897-9F2D-408B-A42B-B3667CCA481D.jpeg

Latest posts