Sailboat collided with Aircraft Carrier

Foolish

Super Anarchist
Victoria, BC
One thing I am sure of, no one is in any danger of being hit by a Canadian aircraft carrier.
You got me there.  My father served on the last Canadian aircraft carrier, 60 years ago.  He often told the story of the time it ran aground on a sand bank, and their weekend leave was cancelled.

Last edited by a moderator:
You got me there.  My father served on the last Canadian aircraft carrier, 60 years ago.  He often told the story of the time it ran aground on a sand bank, and their weekend leave was cancelled.
Close, the Canadian carrier was built in the UK, commissioned in Belfast and utilized American aircraft. Canada neither has the ship building capabilities, the aviation manufacturing capabilities, the expertise, nor the funds to maintain a carrier taskforce. 

Canada wrote the cheque, it is a Canadian carrier in the sense that Brazil's current carrier is Brazilian despite the boat being sold to them by the French government with French aircraft as excess to our needs.

OH CANADA indeed!

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue-water_navy

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Back when the French navy flew F8 Crusaders off of whichever carrier they had back in the late sixties, several US F8 pilots whom I knew spent some time interacting with them and spoke very highly of their skill and professionalism. For the record, flying Crusaders off of small carrier decks was not for the faint of heart either for US or French navy pilots. 

kinardly

Super Anarchist
I’m not sure where the continued slights against the French military come from. The fiascos of 1939 were a long time ago. I wonder if making these jokes doesn’t stem from a need to feel superior without actually having to demonstrate it. 

Monkey

Super Anarchist
I guess you're either French, incredibly thin skinned or, more likely, both.
You’re giving that troll way too much credit. We can rule out French, they’re actually good at sailing. Fiji Bitch has never proven any actual offshore credentials. He’s just a whiny asshole. 

I’m not sure where the continued slights against the French military come from. The fiascos of 1939 were a long time ago. I wonder if making these jokes doesn’t stem from a need to feel superior without actually having to demonstrate it. 
I'm wondering if anyone making such insults has ever served in the military, it seems to me doubtful. I spend a year as a liaison/exchange pilot with VMFA-314 in California, USA, nicest, most talented, dedicated men and women imaginable.

When tour completed and  back for France the commanding officer presented me with my Naval Aviator badge and reminded me I am to be considered a Marine. When I remarked to him I considered my affiliation with French naval aviation superseded this his reply was "Captaine, don't be a pussy."

Quality people, USA lucky to have them.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
My father in law was a career Marine. My dad was a career USAF pilot. I was in the Navy. When we got together we joked that we were a blended family. Every time we met, my FIL would ask “How’s the squid?”. Out of respect I refrained from answering “Fine, Dad, hows the jarhead?”. 

Both gone now but sorely missed. 

JohnMB

Super Anarchist
Evanston
I'm wondering if anyone making such insults has ever served in the military, it seems to me doubtful.
My personal experience is that people who have served in the military tend to be pretty rude about other military organizations and personnel, and generally the closer the connection the more they feel free to make rude comments (Though generally not in an official capacity :) ). Though they also tend to be fairly protective when 'outsiders' (define as required) pile in on the 'joke'.

A British army officer who will happily make derogatory comments about a Royal Navy officer in the mess (or even in a wardroom), might get very offended if a US civilian did the same.

My personal experience is that people who have served in the military tend to be pretty rude about other military organizations and personnel, and generally the closer the connection the more they feel free to make rude comments (Though generally not in an official capacity :) ). Though they also tend to be fairly protective when 'outsiders' (define as required) pile in on the 'joke'.

A British army officer who will happily make derogatory comments about a Royal Navy officer in the mess (or even in a wardroom), might get very offended if a US civilian did the same.
No,  I never knowingly disparaged the various primates, whether enlisted or officers,  in the French army.

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
It long ago became just a "thing". Sort of like English cooking and other national stereotypes.

One of my favourites of the genre was about a person who was asked to describe the Russian national character;

"They're like Germans - but without the sense of humour".

The Q

Super Anarchist
If it had been an American carrier. The yacht would have been blown away with friendly fire, while the yacht was sailing away from the area... The rand corporation would report a magnificent victory against heavily armed multiple assault craft..