sailboat hit by Roque wave

Matagi

Ambassador of the Republic of R'lyeh
LightFineDove-max-1mb.gif

billsreef

Anarchist
Miami
Fox News apparently needs to learn something about geography as well. South of Montauk is the Atlantic Ocean, not Long Island Sound. Not to mention that while there is a Gabreski Airport in Westhampton, there is no Gabreski, NY. Got to love reporters!

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Fox News apparently needs to learn something about geography as well. South of Montauk is the Atlantic Ocean, not Long Island Sound. Not to mention that while there is a Gabreski Airport in Westhampton, there is no Gabreski, NY. Got to love reporters!
A large proportion of TV reporters have always been dumb as rocks. Some things never change.

Not for nothing

Super Anarchist
jupiter
I guess I should have used purple ink, and double/triple checked my source, after all it was Faux News, but it seems some found it interesting and laughable 

AnotherSailor

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Roque or rogue... I am always wondering about these so-called rogue waves: isn't it sort of expected that in some conditions and the merging of wind, and currents, different seas, etc. that some waves will be big. I would not call the rogue necessarily. 

SloopJonB

Super Anarchist
Great Wet North
Roque or rogue... I am always wondering about these so-called rogue waves: isn't it sort of expected that in some conditions and the merging of wind, and currents, different seas, etc. that some waves will be big. I would not call the rogue necessarily. 
When you suddenly come across a wave that is twice the size of the sea state it deserves the name.

Completely unpredictable in both size and direction - and sudden.

They don't just loom over you, I've seen accounts of freighters in the Agulhas current suddenly having an enormous hole appear in the ocean with their bow sticking out into space and falling off (no joke).

Last edited by a moderator: