SailGP 2021

Sea Breeze 74

Anarchist
NZL
(L-R) Louis Sinclair, Blair Tuke, Andy Maloney, Erica Dawson, Josh Junior, Liv Mackay, Marcus Hansen, Peter Burling

Sail GP.jpg

dogwithabone

Looking forward to seeing them in my own backyard - hopefully council can work out how to organise a root in a brothel by then and make it happen.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
I was told last night that the new quarantine rules for many places in Europe / England are going to mess with the crews / staff.   When you look at the schedule and the 14 day quarantine, it may make it out of reach for Aussies and Kiwis especially.... 
I too am looking forward to it 

mad

Super Anarchist
I was told last night that the new quarantine rules for many places in Europe / England are going to mess with the crews / staff.   When you look at the schedule and the 14 day quarantine, it may make it out of reach for Aussies and Kiwis especially.... 
I too am looking forward to it 
I'd be thinking that basing the whole season down there would be smarter, i'd be happy with that if I was doing the event.

as a non sailor, i like to watch the americas cup.. ever since ages ago.

Keen to get in on the action of the sailGP - Is this event usually broadcast live in NZ? - or maybe live on youtube?

loved watching the AC45's in bermuda. I assume the sailGP will be similar to that?

This is great for the sport. Really good to see...

"10,000 young people to be inspired by 2025 through SailGP’s youth and community program

Starting with the season opener in Bermuda in two months’ time, every SailGP event in Season 2 will include a program in partnership with World Sailing, National Sailing Federations, and local community clubs and programs."

https://sailgp.com/news/inspire-relaunches-with-greater-focus-on-inclusivity/

Last edited by a moderator:
Not sure, but it's great to see the ladies coming up strong...

https://7news.com.au/sport/sailing/aussie-sailor-chasing-cousins-job-on-boat-c-2154582

I think they owe a huge debt to Marie Riou. Sure, SailGP and Team France both deserve huge credit for opening the door - but she's the one that burst through it.

I'm very interested to see the performance level of the teams as the women come in. Where do they excel? Where do they struggle?

Great story to follow.

Last edited by a moderator:

crashtack

not sure why they're posting this a year late, but what a mess. Do these boats not have readouts for the skippers to inform them of boundaries like in the AC? How is it possible that the entire spec fleet was inside the course?

Somewhat funny to see Billy clearly still upset about it, 13 months later.

NZK

Anarchist
Roaming
Any ideas when the pre-season training camp is taking place in Bermuda? 

Gets a mention here

https://sailgp.com/races/bermuda-grand-prix-event-page/
I know some team members are starting the journey out there - sounds like there have been some pretty hefty logistical efforts to get everyone sorted out with quarantine periods etc...

If this season goes ahead then it should be pretty awesome - getting Slingsby and Outeridge back on the water plus NZ, UK and Jimmy on the USA wheel should be some good racing.