SailGP Season 3 (2022/2023)

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
It’s really interesting to me how AUS is just consistently crushing what are supposed to be all the best sailors in the world from the AC. I’m going to be super interested to see how AM fares with Slingers. There is just no sailor that compares with him right now. He is embarrassing everyone - and showing that Australia is the best sailing nation on the planet. Period.

PIL66 - XL2

Super Anarchist
Stralya
It’s really interesting to me how AUS is just consistently crushing what are supposed to be all the best sailors in the world from the AC. I’m going to be super interested to see how AM fares with Slingers. There is just no sailor that compares with him right now. He is embarrassing everyone - and showing that Australia is the best sailing nation on the planet. Period.
Well it really was a great final.... TS didn't crush them at all.... his starts over the 7 races were simply awful except one... he made boundary errors where normally he wouldn't and was very lucky the results fell his way to actually make the final.
TS even fucked the start of the final but the penalty is not race ending when in a final with only 3 boats and then he chipped away at them ..... The other two make mistakes at the end which gifted the aussies the win....... but they were there to capitalize and they did.....
Yes it will read that the Aussies won but for me it was their worst regatta (both days)...

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Well it really was a great final.... TS didn't crush them at all.... his starts over the 7 races were simply awful except one... he made boundary errors where normally he wouldn't and was very lucky the results fell his way to actually make the final.
TS even fucked the start of the final but the penalty is not race ending when in a final with only 3 boats and then he chipped away at them ..... The other two make mistakes at the end which gifted the aussies the win....... but they were there to capitalize and they did.....
Yes it will read that the Aussies won but for me it was their worst regatta (both days)...

Actually, he did crush them - for one very simple reason...despite lots of mistakes, his overall consistency keeps getting AUS across the line first when it counts most. The others simply can’t match that. Sure the other teams have flashes of brilliance - but it’s just that, a flash. And AUS is most always right there to take advantage of their inevitable mistakes.

Winning in this format requires steady consistency. AUS is clearly the only team that can deliver that. Unless the leaderboard is lying.

Thats another reason FRA’s performance is so incredible. DLP has made a world of difference. I just pointed that out to Jimmy. We will see what he does. Because USA needs to make some major changes.

Last edited:

martin 'hoff

Super Anarchist
Miami
The final was fun. The other races, I didn't enjoy. I can't quite put my finger on it, but the format – which worked great one season back – is just not right imho. Some teams are clearly better, and yet, they absolutely randomly struggle.

I think that,
  • the fleet is too crowded and this shows up mainly in 3 facets
    • Starts are too crowded and risky – almost the only safe way to make a good start is to play a "Messi" game of sailing off on your own looking disorganized so nobody pays attention to you - NZ nailed this on the 4th of 5th race - then next start everyone followed them. Getting a good start "in the heat" could end up great or with boat contact, even breakage, like GBR last season. So some teams just "sit out" the starts.
    • The course is too crowded, massive wingsails create massive dirty air. If you snatch a leading position, you have a race. Everyone in the mid-pack is hoping that the "noisy" crowd gets distracted with something shiny and sails elsewhere. Trailing boats can get close to the mid-pack but can't catch it bc of the dirty air.
    • Most teams are very polished, so after the start it's largely "avoiding mistakes" – but it's entirely random w some mistakes you don't pay for at all, and others take you from first to last and that's it
  • The result here is that soon after the start the fleet spits you forward or aft. Any leading boats that make badly-timed mistakes fall into the mid-fleet, and are replaced by someone from mid-fleet. Who takes their place is kinda random - luck of the moment, who had somewhat clear air.
It's better when it's windy, it's worse when it's light air – either air flow supports more boats, or smaller wings have smaller footprints.

Another way of putting this is – the race course supports 2 or 3 boats sailing well ahead of the pack. Everyone else, regardless of skill, will be in a bundle of bad air and can't get ahead on skill alone. What they can do is work to stay towards the front of the mid-pack, and be positioned to catch a lucky break.

Here's a thought – the time windows between races right now could almost fit a race. Ok then - don't make ppl wait. Split the fleet:
  • Draw 2 pools randomly
  • Have them race in turns, back-to-back – one race ends the other one starts even with late boats still finishing
  • 2 finalists from each pool – make a final of 4
The random draw into pools will give commentators plenty to say, endless conjecture of "he's winning but this is the weaker pool" and assorted "let's see when these teams meet the winners of the other side" commentary. "It was windier/choppier/shiftier in the prior race".

Plus: Action all the time.

Plus: less crowded course means less chance of an actual incident where someone gets hurt.

No sail racing is going to suit everyone, the weather cant always be right on the day, I liked how positions changed during the race, I liked how the shoreline was packed. It’s interesting how different teams react under pressure, the rockstar skipper that came last in the final seems to regularly crack under pressure and do those race losing dumb things but that last error was unbelievable, close racing with many position changes certainly was hard to keep track of how boats were going at times. The Kayo commentary is fine, obviously have some new commentators that are learning the ropes. I cant work out why the Aussie boat nearly always starts off sailing so bad but then improves, in the first race prestart by sailing so far back from the start line that they get a boundary penalty but start so late behind the fleet it doesn’t matter is unbelievable, what’s the strategist doing

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Benny was whinging, but that penalty in R1 was a seriously righteous call…

66E8E60D-F499-4618-9A11-FD55988CCEE6.png

F42F3F6C-F7A8-4D71-A7A7-5E3CE407EEE9.png

B3C38B7D-ECC2-4DF4-B98E-F9724BB53D12.png

777D9371-CF24-4C3C-AD19-F226F6C30713.png

B5A8207A-1234-467B-A815-C3E47C4E29CD.png

D84AF1E1-90FC-475F-84A3-1BD80BA7F66E.png

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
Absolute custerfluck at the start of R3. CAN pulls the penalty by blocking GBR. Then forces one onto AUS right after. I’m surprised NZL didn’t cop one too. But they did get completely shut down. I can see why there might have been some salty language…

19156A47-017F-4180-B076-283395EB310B.png

8884C2C5-7D01-424B-BB06-5D59DD076E45.png

8F352D66-8700-40A1-92B0-88BA873C3622.png

3A8C6C98-76FB-46D3-8130-A0057DBA6AC3.png

C7F206CE-E7D7-4DC5-9A68-6DCE3B760316.png

B8339D90-4F41-4B55-823C-73EC5A3D1FCF.png

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
From Spithill…

…we were blown away when we heard the numbers for SailGP on our last two broadcasts in the US on CBS both drew in more than 1.6m viewers each!

That out-ranks F1 on ESPN, Premier League soccer and a host of other sports that are televised in the US. This really got the attention of key players in the sports and entertainment world, so it’s very exciting.

SailGP is growing just as I predicted. BUT…

I do still think Jimmy needs to give up the wheel. He talks about needing more time to build the team, but you only need look at the drastic improvements for both ESP and FRA after their shakeups to see that USA is going backwards.

The time has come Jimmy.

Last edited:

vokstar

Tasmania
Late to watching this round, how in the fuck! did Aussies win that?!?!? I thought they had boat problems but the last day just feckin amazing! There is no way they should've won that... sucked in to the poms though :D

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Ben Ainslie needs to give up the wheel to HATTIE ROGERS. GBR provided some Pics before the Event and Hattie drove the Boat like she stole it with Hannah Diamond on the Trim.
When is Russell Coutts finally allowing the Women to drive these Boats?

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Ben Ainslie needs to give up the wheel to HATTIE ROGERS. GBR provided some Pics before the Event and Hattie drove the Boat like she stole it with Hannah Diamond on the Trim.
When is Russell Coutts finally allowing the Women to drive these Boats?
Yes. This. Absolutely no excuse. It's not like helm requires great strength or a penis or something.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg

smackdaddy

Super Anarchist
SmackDab, Middle
It’s sad to see SailGP failing so miserably. Seems the KiWhingersTM and a couple of other SA douchescicles were right all along - and I was wrong. Heh.

Is my very prescient downtown billboard still up?

billboard.png

Last edited: