SailGP

Priscilla

Super Anarchist
NZ SailGP off to Christchurch.

https://www.stuff.co.nz/sport/boating/124004616/christchurch-to-host-multimilliondollar-global-sailing-event

267A18C1-089B-49A8-834E-3D5E0BF53B53.jpeg

Last edited by a moderator:

LCS Carbon

Flags
Home
No, they are still in it. On the SailGP website:

" SailGP racing is being planned for the Australia/New Zealand region in the early part of 2022. "
Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor. At the beginning of 2020 I was told that Russel would be OK swapping out the AUS team for an NZ team if the Aussies couldn't pay their way. But I haven't heard since if they have survived the Covid break?

Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor. At the beginning of 2020 I was told that Russel would be OK swapping out the AUS team for an NZ team if the Aussies couldn't pay their way. But I haven't heard since if they have survived the Covid break?
Both Aussie & kiwi teams for SailGP 2021/22 Lyttelton was likened to San Fransisco by Sir Russell in his press statement

RobG

Super Anarchist
Australia are one of the few teams to not have a sponsor.
Maybe Clive is a prospect? Well cashed up, likes (stink) boats, happy to waste tens of millions on hopeless cases, in need of a PR coup. Might need to change the livery to overall canary yellow with a feint green pinstripe.

No event in Aus might be an issue though…

Maybe Clive is a prospect? Well cashed up, likes (stink) boats, happy to waste tens of millions on hopeless cases, in need of a PR coup. Might need to change the livery to overall canary yellow with a feint green pinstripe.

No event in Aus might be an issue though…
I understand the no event in Aus is only this season as there was an event at the beginning of the aborted Season 2 in Sydney and as this season is also being truncated by COVID one less event is planned than usual.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Looks from the schedule like AUS somewhere is still a possibility following the Christchurch event. 

KiwiJoker

Super Anarchist
Auckland, NZ
Sorry mate. You are sadly mistook.  This a heavily-distorted wide angle view of the innermost end of Lyttelton Harbour. Not 100 percent certain of my bearings but the bottom left end of the pix appears to show Governor's Bay which is widely recognized as the head of the harbour.  The longer inlet to the right is called Head of the Bay. The headlands of the harbour mouth are dimly visible in the morning mist at the top left of the pix. It has been a while but as I recall the water in the lower part of the photo is pretty thin, especially at low tide.

The port, which is the largest in the South Island, is located about half way down the harbour on its northern flank.. The harbour is a drowned volcano with precious little flat land on its rim. Likely best place for Rusty's shore side activities are the adjacent park areas at Corsair Bay and Cass Bay. Both are close to the commercial port and to the road and rail tunnels that provide quick access to the City of Christchurch. 

It is hard to sufficiently emphasise the minuscule size and quaint nature of Lyttleton Township, nestled into the hillside behind the commercial port.  Permanent residents, approx 3,000.  A couple of small hotels, a scattering of guest houses, restaurants and cafes. International visitors will stay in Christchurch and surrounds.  St Tropez it aint!  But a great locale for a TV-focused event.

Lyttelton Port.jpg

Last edited by a moderator: