SailGP

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
image.png

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
And your point is? And are you ok, Gerray?

My point is that you should call this nr. (206)-587-2838

Call now!
It was a dig at whatever 4 had going on. This thread has more Replies and Views than any I could see at a brief lookback and iirc 4 hates SGP :)

That number? wth?? edit: oh, it's for an Alcoholics Helpline. Very funny..

Heard this week that a Kiwi I have known for some years and saw most recently 6 months ago, he was a fervid AB and ETNZ fan, died the past weekend of a heroine OD.  I wish reachout and reachin programs were stronger. 

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
It was a dig at whatever 4 had going on. This thread has more Replies and Views than any I could see at a brief lookback and iirc 4 hates SGP :)

That number? wth?? edit: oh, it's for an Alcoholics Helpline. Very funny..

Heard this week that a Kiwi I have known for some years and saw most recently 6 months ago, he was a fervid AB and ETNZ fan, died the past weekend of a heroine OD.  I wish reachout and reachin programs were stronger. 
That's pretty sad, Stinger. 

crashtack

Can we start a fundraiser for Larry to get another camera helicopter? Only having one perpetually pointing at the first one or two boats in the fleet is so frustrating... at least give the tv director some drones or something man

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Sorry to hear that Stingray, that's very different from a bit too much alcohol or addiction to SA. Bloody hard to treat by even the best specialized clinics. Also, we may joke about alcoholism, and it may be less obvious, but it can be devastating nevertheless.

kunos

The weakness of the Format aren't the Boats, it's the Format itself. I have been advocating having a Friday through Sunday Event and dividing the 10 Teams in two Groups.
I think they are limited by the space TV broadcasters are willing to give them.. which seems to be no more than 1h-something x 2 days.

Which also seem to be the reason for the super short races <15m long.

Hopefully this can change in the future when/if the serie gets more popular.

EDIT:

One possible alternative could be to turn the practice races into something that assigns actual points and broadcast those on youtube only.. with a short recap of the outcome at the beginning of the saturday TV broadcast.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
A couple of considerations after this race:

- JPN won 3 fleet races out of 5 and were not in the final. SailGP needs to seriously reconsider how points are distributed... it's absurd.

- NO jumps on that GBR boat, in theory unknown to him and his crew and gets 2 wins in a row.. the first thing he says after crossing the line in Race 5 is "damn this boat is fast".. conspiracy much? :p

- Somebody kept suggesting NO was only good in light winds.. some was even debating if it was a good idea for him to race today because there was too much wind.. I mean, seriously ppl.. are you really falling for the soap opera "Drive To Survive" inspired stuff on youtube?
Spot on. Any redress for race 3 and Japan would have been in the final, and looked unbeatable with good starts in both races earlier.

NO is probably the most experienced F50 driver, with one more regatta starter a big layoff must still be confident of taking it.

The final shootout is basically whittled down to aus/us/jpn now, wonder what spin they can put on the fleet races to make it fun

accnick

Super Anarchist
Haha.....

To say 10 boats is too many seems bizarre to me. They start hundreds of boats in the Fastnet, and the Hobart has quite a few.
But they do not start them at the same time on the same line. Big difference. As a competitor, you also have a very different attitude on the start line of a 600-mile ocean race than a 20-minute round-the-cans roller derby.

Chalk and cheese.

accnick

Super Anarchist
I think they are limited by the space TV broadcasters are willing to give them.. which seems to be no more than 1h-something x 2 days.

Which also seem to be the reason for the super short races <15m long.

Hopefully this can change in the future when/if the serie gets more popular.

EDIT:

One possible alternative could be to turn the practice races into something that assigns actual points and broadcast those on youtube only.. with a short recap of the outcome at the beginning of the saturday TV broadcast.
From what we've seen, they really need those practice days, as they get very little time with the boats otherwise.

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
But they do not start them at the same time on the same line. Big difference. As a competitor, you also have a very different attitude on the start line of a 600-mile ocean race than a 20-minute round-the-cans roller derby.

Chalk and cheese.
Fair enough, but I still think 10 AC40s in the right hands would be fine, as long as the line was big enough.

accnick

Super Anarchist
Fair enough, but I still think 10 AC40s in the right hands would be fine, as long as the line was big enough.
It's not the length of the line so much as where you want to be on that line that counts. Especially with evenly-matched boats, you don't want to be pinned to where you have to take everyone's stern when you come back across, assuming a windward start.

Reaching starts are another animal entirely, but position is at least as critical.

I don't know what the solution is here.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Spot on. Any redress for race 3 and Japan would have been in the final, and looked unbeatable with good starts in both races earlier.
Agree, some redress should have been there. I imagine the reason they are trying it ths way is to encourage right-of-way boats to do everything they can to also avoid the collision. NO did try to at the last second but the way BGR skidded it was too late. One account suggested the flight controller on GBR at the last second did adjust the trim, causing the lee bow to lift the way it did, in hopes of easing the crash; hard to say if it resulted in a 'better' impact or not.

Latest posts