SailGP

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Surprised that little comment has been made about the "Canadian" crew with Chris Draper (GB) being on loan from NO / Team Japan and sailing as wing trimmer instead of Graeme Sutherland. I suspect Canada will notice it when he goes back to his "proper" team.
Well, sure Chris Draper is a big asset for the Team BUT I could argue that the real unsung HERO of this Canadian Team thus far is Flight Controller Billy Gooderham.

The Flight Controller has a big effect on the outcome of these Races.

Australia is continueing their winning streak because of Jason Waterhouse abilities.

shebeen

Super Anarchist
1655902564823.png

using my BONUS scoring system, here is the log standing after two races.
no rankings different to the official one (yet)

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
if SailGP is the metric straw that breaks the idiotic imperial camel's back, then I'm game for it.
Interesting drift. Call me old fashioned but, I still struggle with metric measurements at times. Mostly for boat length & beam and for a person's height, strangely enough. Even though here in NZL, we ditched imperial measurements for metrics back in 1976, I still feel compelled/the need to do those conversion in my head.

On the other hand, when building (say boats or house renovations) I'm very comfortable with millimetres, while feet and inches are quite foreign.

Odd?

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Interesting drift. Call me old fashioned but, I still struggle with metric measurements at times. Mostly for boat length & beam and for a person's height, strangely enough. Even though here in NZL, we ditched imperial measurements for metrics back in 1976, I still feel compelled/the need to do those conversion in my head.

On the other hand, when building (say boats or house renovations) I'm very comfortable with millimetres, while feet and inches are quite foreign.

Odd?
To be quite frank I don't get it with all the bitching and moaning about the Commentary & Graphics, etc.
We should all be thankful that we have a year to year circuit like SailGP who brings the best Sailors together.

Listen to Ben Ainslies Boat International Podcast Interview and he says if OTUSA had defended the AC 2017 in Bermuda there would not be SailGP.

Ben says SailGP & AC can co-exist and both Events should be supporting each other. He says there obviously needs to be some tweaking in the Schedules for 2024 but believes it can be done.

And to be perfectly honest with you Grant Dalton is just copying a lot of things.
Once he saw the Impact SailGP is making about reducing carbon emissions with their "Impact League" he all of the sudden decides to require all the Challengers to have a Hydrogen Chase Boat.
When he saw the Womens Pathway Program get up and running in SailGP he + Commodore Young suddenly decide lets have a Women's AC.

Russell is still the Man with Vision when it comes to Sailing and Dalts is just copying.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW

Odd?
Am good with both systems.

My house (American) is built in feet and inches, 4800 sq ft, etc, and so the materials needed are built using imperial measurements that way too for matching the existing wall joists, ceiling heights, windows, and other key items. And when I hear 6'2" and 187 lbs, or 30 miles, it all makes sense because of familiarity. Where metric makes the most sense to me is in other aspects, especially scientific ones. Both are good.

Am completely over the use of kph in SGP, most of their intended audience are far more familiar with kph than knots and it's a simple thing to divide by 2 (very close to, actually 1.8 or whatever) to rough-approximate the knots if you have some urge to do so. The wings are 18m, 24m and 29m, it's not hard to multiply by approximately 3 for feet (actually 3.3) too. No biggy! :) It's a boat race and the way to best enjoy it is to just have a boat or two to root for.

Have been laughing at how damn well CAN has been doing early this season but I'm sure others will be in the thick of it starting soon and my hat will be off to whoever they are too.

Last edited:

terrafirma

Super Anarchist
Melbourne
Grumpy Old man from the front page the ED is having a whinge about how boring SailGP is. Whilst I agree it can be boring sometimes there is still some action to behold at times too. Perhaps his reason for the whinge is that they didn't explain what was going on with the USA team? Fleet racing is usually better than 2 boat racing such as the AC which was really boring with the new foilers. A lot of talk about how silly it is the Team Canada were beating up on New Zealand but with Phil Robertson on board that is misleading to simply state Team Canada. Phil has most likely done more racing than anyone in foiling cats. I did pick up in the lighter conditions Slingsby was able to get his boat on foils when the others struggled and this doesn't help racing obviously. I think SailGP is good value we don't have many choices mind you.!

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I think my main problem is the final race. I like the action of fleet racing. I like the potential in a match race to engage pre-start etc. But a 3 boat race is neither fowl nor fish. If they want to cut to a podium race, then just let it be for 2, or 4 with match race semis.

That and the stupid course/start box layout they had for Chicago

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Grumpy Old man from the front page the ED is having a whinge about how boring SailGP is. Whilst I agree it can be boring sometimes there is still some action to behold at times too. Perhaps his reason for the whinge is that they didn't explain what was going on with the USA team? Fleet racing is usually better than 2 boat racing such as the AC which was really boring with the new foilers. A lot of talk about how silly it is the Team Canada were beating up on New Zealand but with Phil Robertson on board that is misleading to simply state Team Canada. Phil has most likely done more racing than anyone in foiling cats. I did pick up in the lighter conditions Slingsby was able to get his boat on foils when the others struggled and this doesn't help racing obviously. I think SailGP is good value we don't have many choices mind you.!
I agree with you! I also agree with @enigmatically2 that this 3-Boat Final is not good. My hope is that as the League continues to grow (they are aiming for 16 Teams some time in future Seasons) they will revert back to a Match Race.