SailGP

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Looking at the GBR vs AUS Incident maybe Ainslie should have just dipped behind him. He was laying the Finish Line while Slingsby still had a gybe to go.

yoyo

Anarchist
Every other team would have done the same as AUS and hunted GBR. GBR and their fans may be upset about the call but GBR would have done the same to AUS if the roles were reversed.

GBR saw it coming and knew it was close. GBR made their choice to cross and lost the call. It's more likely that the high accuracy electronic judging systems and pro judges are more capable to make the call than any armchair hacks watching camera feed on youtube.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Every other team would have done the same as AUS and hunted GBR. GBR and their fans may be upset about the call but GBR would have done the same to AUS if the roles were reversed.

GBR saw it coming and knew it was close. GBR made their choice to cross and lost the call. It's more likely that the high accuracy electronic judging systems and pro judges are more capable to make the call than any armchair hacks watching camera feed on youtube.
Big Difference though! Slingsby & the Aussie Team were already in the Final no matter if they finish 3rd or 4th so the Question becomes: Was that really neccessary by Slingsby to hunt down GBR knowing he was already in the Final?

I'd say this was massivly unreasonable for him to do it - Period!

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
Although I think the course alteration was unnecessary (a Hollywood) I would not blame the umpires who have to make a split second decision with boats approaching at around 28kts and it was close (sorry I will not use land speed measurements in a sailing event)

yoyo

Anarchist
Nothing unreasonable about AUS decision. Every team plays hard for every point. Highly doubtful AUS wanted GBR in the final.

Doubtful if the roles were reversed that GBR would have just let AUS cross freely ahead. Also doubtful GBR would want AUS in the final if the roles were reversed.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
It was either BA or TS who remarked after the incident that the umps have a 'ghost boat' they use to help make those judgments; presumably it follows the path (in this case of AUS) that would have been taken absent the GBR path.

Agree with a post above suggesting that GBR splitting proved to be their undoing, they had done a very good job up until that point of keeping a tight cover on AUS.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
This a long podcast but a fun listen for as long as I listened. Scroll to around 6:00 for the start of Rome Kirby, he talks SailGP soon into it and says he expects to be back with JS & Co later this season. His description of how he injured his shoulder during the SF event is pretty wild but he has fun telling the story.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
This a long podcast but a fun listen for as long as I listened. Scroll to around 6:00 for the start of Rome Kirby, he talks SailGP soon into it and says he expects to be back with JS & Co later this season. His description of how he injured his shoulder during the SF event is pretty wild but he has fun telling the story.

Listened to the whole thing after all. The only event he specifically ruled out is Denmark SailGP but don't think we will see Rome back as JS's flight controller any time soon if ever, the guy has a lot on in sailing (MC32 circuit and big-boat events) and in his new Apparent Air business, plus his wife is expecting in October.

Last edited:
Although I think the course alteration was unnecessary (a Hollywood) I would not blame the umpires who have to make a split second decision with boats approaching at around 28kts and it was close (sorry I will not use land speed measurements in a sailing event)
There is no split-second decision-making, the umpire software is amazing and very accurate and has predicted paths as well as actual paths. The umpires also know the rules better than the rest of us. If they say AUS wasn't hunting and that it was a penalty for GBR, then the case is closed. Ainslie should realise in today's world of mm perfect umpiring systems, he can't risk marginal calls like that.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
There is no split-second decision-making, the umpire software is amazing and very accurate and has predicted paths as well as actual paths. The umpires also know the rules better than the rest of us. If they say AUS wasn't hunting and that it was a penalty for GBR, then the case is closed. Ainslie should realise in today's world of mm perfect umpiring systems, he can't risk marginal calls like that.
Why do you blame Ainslie as sorely responsible? Every Team now has a 6th Crew Member, a Strategist sitting behind the Helmsman who practically should help the Helmsman making those marginally calls. Hannah Diamond didn't do her job. She could have said "Too close, dip behind" but she didn't say anything.
I think the British Boat has a Communication Problem. They are just not using their 6th Crew Member, two additional eyes, effectivly enough compared to some other Teams.
Diamond also comes more from an Offshore Background and isn't used to have hand-to-hand combat close quarter racing like for example Hannah Mills or Georgia Lewin-LaFrance (Canada) or Jo Aleh (with the NZL Team).

Many in the Sailing World attributing Canadas fast start to SailGP to "Speedy G" (Georgia Lewin-LaFrance).

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
From https://www.telegraph.co.uk/sailing...-seeking-royal-inspiration-race-reach-sailgp/

1659308277273.jpeg

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Hannah Diamond didn't do her job. She could have said "Too close, dip behind" but she didn't say anything.
Easier said than done, considering that you're dealing with an over sized ego in BA. You saw in the last AC as well, with the way Giles would "suggest" things to Ben. That's the price you pay when you've got such a dominant personality, and "living legend."

Latest posts