SailGP

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
Easier said than done, considering that you're dealing with an over sized ego in BA. You saw in the last AC as well, with the way Giles would "suggest" things to Ben. That's the price you pay when you've got such a dominant personality, and "living legend."
Top sportsman is confident and has dominant personality? That's a shocker.

JALhazmat

Super Anarchist
Southampton
time zones dick head.

what do you want? Congratulate them for an event win in a series you don’t give a shit about? Congratulate them for taking two years to do what other “inferior“ teams did at their first attempt? Or for finally getting Jo on board and having a mixed team With someone that point smiler around a course because doing two things at once is a bit of a stretch, as evidenced with Glen telling him what to do during the AC.

every dog has its day, at least russel won’t need to fire him now.

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
time zones dick head.

what do you want? Congratulate them for an event win in a series you don’t give a shit about? Congratulate them for taking two years to do what other “inferior“ teams did at their first attempt? Or for finally getting Jo on board and having a mixed team With someone that point smiler around a course because doing two things at once is a bit of a stretch, as evidenced with Glen telling him what to do during the AC.

every dog has its day, at least russel won’t need to fire him now.
Hahahaha Olympic Gold medal, win and defend the Americas Cup and a SailGP regatta.
Say what you want, but most skippers have been told what to do by someone else, that person is called a tactician, Giles Scott, Glenn Ashby, Brad Butterworth, hell, Tom widden.
Every dog has its day, but some dogs have more days than others lol
The word dominant seems to have been thrown around a bit too, by the commentators, and even the teams themselves.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
You think Ben won all those gold medals, AC etc without listening to coaches, meteorologists etc?

Such a view would only be tenable if you put prejudice ahead of evidence or rationale

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
You think Ben won all those gold medals, AC etc without listening to coaches, meteorologists etc?

Such a view would only be tenable if you put prejudice ahead of evidence or rationale
You think Dalton won 2 Americas Cups and put on a successful event without knowing what he's doing?

Such a view would only be tenable if you put prejudice ahead of evidence or rationale.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
You think Dalton won 2 Americas Cups and put on a successful event without knowing what he's doing?

Such a view would only be tenable if you put prejudice ahead of evidence or rationale.
If you remember I said I respected him.

But even the most successful people make mistakes - GD or Ben

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
If you remember I said I respected him.

But even the most successful people make mistakes - GD or Ben
There is NO evidence to even suggest anything Dalton is currently doing, or even did last time was a "mistake"

So like I said, such a view would only be tenable if you put prejudice ahead of evidence or rationale.

Clearly you harbor prejudice toward either Dalton and/ or Team NZ because you can not produce any evidence to prove Dalton is making a mistake.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I think SailGP should learn from rugby, cricket and tennis where the video evidence, with ball tracking in cricket especially is shared. So everyone can see.

It doesn't stop every controversy, but helps a lot

Horn Rock

Super Anarchist
Byron Bay
Guess what: It worked!
I guess the change at the back has made an improvement - it was very tactical this weekend, but I think the main change that has led to their success, has been the way they setup the boat. They're now setting it up like the other teams, not being an outlier....which could've been a hang over from their AC35 campaign. They matched the other boats in speeds.

Potter

Super Anarchist
I think SailGP should learn from rugby, cricket and tennis where the video evidence, with ball tracking in cricket especially is shared. So everyone can see.

It doesn't stop every controversy, but helps a lot
They are able to stop those sports for the review to be seen, but I get what you mean. They have done some reviews from previous events.
I know that between races the umpires review their decision making, and always have a dialogue. Maybe they could have a separate audio stream. I would prefer to listen to the boats and umpires than the commentary.
A bit like ref link in Rugby.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
I guess the change at the back has made an improvement - it was very tactical this weekend, but I think the main change that has led to their success, has been the way they setup the boat. They're now setting it up like the other teams, not being an outlier....which could've been a hang over from their AC35 campaign. They matched the other boats in speeds.
The Canadians I think have the best Boat Setup. They are using each of their 6 Crew Members equally. Yes, they did not make the Final in Plymouth but that's more about Isabella Berthold hasn't spent as much time as Georgia Lewin-LaFrance on the Boat. Berthold will get better too.
I view the Canadians a very real threat to NZL & GBR of making the Grand Final next year.

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
If it prevents or deters others from tactical input, then it could be deemed a downside.
Of course it could, but so it could with all the others.
Lets be fair some people (mostly kiwis it seems - perhaps because of his part in the SF comeback?) like to criticise him, and indeed lots doing so for his mistake(?) in the most recent SailGP, but he is still lying second. So not too shoddy. In fact one could make an argument that 3 of the most dominant personalities in SailGp currently are lying 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Most of the truly top sportspeople in any sport have very strong personalities and a lot of confidence. That doesn't mean they don't listen. Indeed that confidence means they aren't threatened by advice from people who aren't as good as them, so they often listen more. WIthout that they don't get to the top.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Of course it could, but so it could with all the others.
Lets be fair some people (mostly kiwis it seems - perhaps because of his part in the SF comeback?) like to criticise him, and indeed lots doing so for his mistake(?) in the most recent SailGP, but he is still lying second. So not too shoddy. In fact one could make an argument that 3 of the most dominant personalities in SailGp currently are lying 1st, 2nd and 4th.

Most of the truly top sportspeople in any sport have very strong personalities and a lot of confidence. That doesn't mean they don't listen. Indeed that confidence means they aren't threatened by advice from people who aren't as good as them, so they often listen more. WIthout that they don't get to the top.
Let's be totally honest here: The Trajectory of the GBR Team is going down:
2nd in Bermuda, 3rd in Chicago and now 4th in Plymouth.

BA will never personally admit it BUT questionable calls like the one in Denmark last year and now yesterday are affecting him.

After that call in Denmark last year the wheels came off for the GBR Team (Crashed into the Spanish in France, capsized in Spain + crashed into Japan in Australia) and there is a good chance this happening again.

BA does not have a level headed leadership like the other Teams have. That's also why the INEOS AC Campaign will go down the dumpster.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
BA has hit back again at SailGP's Head Umpire Craig Mitchell calling it a "Ghost-Boat Predict Software"

The umpires use a simulator tool to predict a (ghost) boats position in three boat-lengths time.

Ainsle claims that the ghost-boat predictive software did not take any acceleration or deceleration into account and that they had been accelerating from a gybe, and that this not allowed for on the software.

I've to admit that I am going to be inclined to go with Ben on this one. This Software Mitchell is using is crap.

yoyo

Anarchist
Sounds like Ben is working on improving his relationship with the judges.

I guess a judging system that predicts boat positions three boat lengths into the future when boats are travelling at over 50km/hr (45 feet / sec) isn't accurate enough to predict a collision.

Latest posts