SailGP

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Seriously?

Which team is 100% self funded and who is paying the bills in the meantime?

Want to make it an interesting regatta: Have the helms and flight controllers throw their names into a bowl and be picked at random at each event.
DENMARK, GREAT BRITAIN, CANADA & SWITZERLAND are 100 % self-funded.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Is the US Team considered self-funded or is Larry looking for someone to handle/fund that team?

Second, does anyone know if the cities pay a hosting fee and/or what the cost is to hold the event in each location?
Of Course the Cities pay a Hosting Fee. I think it's up to 150-120K$. It varies depending on the Location. Copenhagen for example is 100 % paid by the ROCKWOOL GROUP.

Partners of the US Team incl West Marine, T-Mobile for Business and Mustang Survival.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
There is an add-on segment at the end where BA says he thinks the starboard daggerboard case is so badly broken they will not be able to race this weekend.

Tax Man

Super Anarchist
Toronto
Of Course the Cities pay a Hosting Fee. I think it's up to 150-120K$. It varies depending on the Location. Copenhagen for example is 100 % paid by the ROCKWOOL GROUP.

Partners of the US Team incl West Marine, T-Mobile for Business and Mustang Survival.
But Mustang is Canadian?

I heard the city fees are in the range of 1 to 2 mil?

Potter

Super Anarchist
City fees are whatever they can get. SF, NY have certainly not paid anything. I think Plymouth managed about £900K including in kind payments. I would guess that the Middle/Far East might actually pay a fee but I can't believe any of the venues to date have done so.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
On venue fees, RC answered Qs about that recently, said they were averaging around $500k per venue but said venues is a small part of the larger projected revenue-stream picture.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
Keep in mind
Singapore (3-Year Deal)
Sydney (3-Year Deal; KPMG announced as Official Sponsor yesterday)
New Zealand (4-Year Deal alternating between Christchurch & Auckland)

And I am hearing that the Canadian City (either Halifax, Montreal, Kingston or Victoria) to be announced in October will also have a Multi-Year Deal.

Meat Wad

Super Anarchist
Keep in mind
Singapore (3-Year Deal)
Sydney (3-Year Deal; KPMG announced as Official Sponsor yesterday)
New Zealand (4-Year Deal alternating between Christchurch & Auckland)

And I am hearing that the Canadian City (either Halifax, Montreal, Kingston or Victoria) to be announced in October will also have a Multi-Year Deal.
Some people have nothing better to do than watch rich people throw money into the wind.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK

Last year I went through the spreadsheets of outgoings of Plymouth City Council, which above a certain threshold are in the public domain. There were a number of payments to SailGP and while I can no longer remember the exact total, it was slightly north of GB£100K. Nowhere near $500K and certainly not $1-2M. Some here suggested that the City also provided services in kind, like availability of the sailing compound.

Plymouth has a population of 260K. Anyone familiar with local authority finances in the UK knows that a city of that size does not have wads of spare cash to wave around to support a single weekend promotional event for a fringe sport. A figure like $500K per event is not plausible for Plymouth. Possibly there is a multi-event deal but I have not seen any announcement to that effect.

For those who insist on confusing Plymouth with Portsmouth, the former base of Team INEOS, the latter is slightly smaller in population with, I imagine, a budget to match. It appears from press coverage at the time that the hosting fees of the two ACWS events in Portsmouth were of similar order to that paid by Plymouth to SailGP.

What sums RC may be extracting from cities elsewhere, I could not say. We can be confident it is not F1 money.

Last edited: