SailGP

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
The FRANCE SAIL GP TEAM yesterday eclipsed the Speed Record of the AC75 from American Magic during the Semifinals Day 1 of the Prada Cup in 2021

FcTNEM9agAACj11.jpg

99.94 km/h is 53.963 knots

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
Seemed like the digital lines on the course indicated that USA went around the wrong last mark that last race. They started almost talking about it on the commentary. I wonder if they just decided to let it go? Should not have been an extra mark between the 2 actual marks anyway? Or was the digital display wrong?

P Flados

Anarchist
North Carolina
With all of the course shortening for the day, how are the competitors supposed to know the "correct" marks if there are three of them. Selecting the mark you are going to round normally happens well before you get to it. They do not get to see the extra info we see superimposed in the videos. Having three marks was a screw up by the event staff. Letting Jimmy go between two marks and round the one of his choice was probably the right thing to do.

Last edited:

enigmatically2

Super Anarchist
Earth
I thought the competitors had a display that comes from the umpires as opposed to what we see on TV?
They get some sort of display telling them where the marks are.

I wish the TV coverage could give the race committee announcements when they are made. Clearly they weren't shortening the last leg AFTER the lead boat had rounded the last mark as the coverage implied (at least I bloody hope not). But thats what seemed to be the case a couple of times.

With all the electronics they have it doesn't seem like it would be too difficult to predict earlier how many legs they can get in so we don't have the situation of only one or fewer boats finishing

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Seemed like the digital lines on the course indicated that USA went around the wrong last mark that last race. They started almost talking about it on the commentary. I wonder if they just decided to let it go? Should not have been an extra mark between the 2 actual marks anyway? Or was the digital display wrong?
My recollection is that USA had a choice at that top gate, they chose the mark that led them away from the shore where the commentators thought they should instead head to inshore and so one of them labelled it the 'wrong' mark.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Nice to see USA finally win a event!
I was also tremendously impressed by the downwind speeds on day 1, most of the boats were doing a steady 90kmh in the gusts.
USA has had flight control problems ever since they switched to the new guy Hans Henken (?) but they finally put some really-great maneuvers together this weekend - even in the heavy air day 1.

Yes, was happy to see USA finally have a good event, have been following them with interest. Day 2 was a bit of a crapshoot but they deserve the win even if based only on their 3-2-3 on epic-sailing day 1.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
There was now yellow circle around the mark that USA rounded. View attachment 540730
Oh wow, missed that.

One of the fun parts of that race is when the TV guys tried to get a comment from the Frech lady Olympic medalist lent to JS after their lady had sprained an ankle in the practice races, from onboard. She (and maybe she chose that marK? but anyway..) she did not have her helmet comms figured out. They asked a bunch of questions to her and JS's response was something like:

'She can't hear you but says she is thrilled to be sailing with such a great-looking bunch of guys.' :D

Last edited: