If I could make the Schedule for SailGP Season 4 it would look like this:
# 1 Chicago
# 2 Plymouth
# 3 Kiel
# 4 Marseille
# 5 Taranto
# 6 Cadiz
# 7 Dubai, UAE
# 8 Muscat, Oman (They had an ACWS back there in 2016)
# 9 Singapore
# 10 Sydney
# 11 Auckland
# 12 Bermuda
# 13 Montreal
# 14 Grand Final in either New York City or even better Newport, Rhode Island

yoyo

Anarchist
San Francisco, probably one of the best venues around is not on the list...surprising that it's not already locked down.
Maybe there is enough excitement for the tour now that a few US cities are bidding.

1663518419813.png

nroose

Super Anarchist
Berkeley
The fastest sailboat we know of. Bearing in mind we only saw data from the AC75 during a handfull of races and arguably the slowest boat set the top speed in only windy day, I have no doubt there would have been faster speeds, they just weren’t broadcast.

Remember, the AC is about winning the cup. Sail GP is about fast drama with an emphasis on the desire for drama. Speed = drama.

line a few 75’s up on a racetrack in 20 knots of wind and there will be incredible speeds
We did get a few reports on speeds during practice. But yeah, precious little time in those boats all together, and much less with live broadcast and telemetry. But also, perhaps saying "arguably the slowest boat" about a boat that set the record while winning a race is maybe pretty silly.
The ocean going tri l`Hydroptere, with soft sails, achieved 52.8 knts, then averaged > 50 knots over a nautical mile in 2009.
Now that`s a fast sailboat.
You couldn`t sail a GP50 on the open sea
And I guess also very little chance of any of the AC or SailGP boats trying to do a nautical mile speed record, and even if they did, very little chance that they could do better than l'Hydroptère.

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
In AC34 ACWS there was, briefly, a straight line speed event. It was, to me anyway, dull stuff. It went when the duration of ACWS was curtailed to match the span of attention of the TV god.

EYESAILOR

Super Anarchist
@EYESAILOR
If I could make the Schedule for SailGP Season 4 it would look like this:
# 1 Chicago
# 2 Plymouth
# 3 Kiel
# 4 Marseille
# 5 Taranto
# 6 Cadiz
# 7 Dubai, UAE
# 8 Muscat, Oman (They had an ACWS back there in 2016)
# 9 Singapore
# 10 Sydney
# 11 Auckland
# 12 Bermuda
# 13 Montreal
# 14 Grand Final in either New York City or even better Newport, Rhode Island
There are some pretty shitty places to sail and visit in that list.

Seriously, New York City and Chicago are not even close to the best that the USA could come up with
Biscayne Bay, Miami
Long Beach, Los Angeles
San Francisco
Cascade Locks, nr Portland Oregon
Outside Boston Harbor

Kiel? Really? Kiel's claim to fame is that it is one of the better places to sail on the ocean (one of the only places) in Germany.....it wouldnt rank if it was in France or Portugal or the UK

Kingston offers serious sailing. Montreal offers croissant and the best hot chocolat for breakfast.

Swanno

Super Anarchist
We did get a few reports on speeds during practice. But yeah, precious little time in those boats all together, and much less with live broadcast and telemetry. But also, perhaps saying "arguably the slowest boat" about a boat that set the record while winning a race is maybe pretty silly.
comment based on the fact that the poms and the wogs made the final of the challenger series.

Wasnt the race where they set top speed after they had the crash?

shebeen

Super Anarchist
San Francisco, probably one of the best venues around is not on the list...surprising that it's not already locked down.
Maybe there is enough excitement for the tour now that a few US cities are bidding.

View attachment 541687
i find it weird that they are not getting this season into a rolling 12month year.

season 2 - end at SF march 2022
season 3 - starts bermuda may 22, ends SFmay 23
season4 - chicago june 23, ends july SF (?) july24.

because maybe it's not really the issue now, but the gap between season 4 and 5 is then going to sit in their current Europe primetime (which is olympics) .

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
To be born British is to come first in the lottery of life, so it's easy to accept pom or limey or ros boeuf. But I agree, wog is unacceptable
Completely agree, same as the "n" word in the USA. Comes from the black doll, the 'Gollywog' and I don't know where that comes from. Strange how language morphs. The full name for the doll was never considered offensive as I remember, even Claire Frances' single handed transat boat "Robertson's Golly" raised no eyebrows back in the day but the shortened form is most definitely a racist slur.

Last edited:

Forourselves

Super Anarchist
New Zealand
So with the Cadiz event happening shortly, and the AC40 being launched and tested today, and the INEOS AC40 launch imminent, wonder how long before the NZ and British SailGP teams are cannibalized?