SailGP

dogwatch

Super Anarchist
South Coast, UK
Comes from the black doll, the 'Gollywog'

Maybe, maybe not, nobody seems certain. The facial features of the Gollywog were those common in Africans from, say, Congo or Nigeria, whereas it seems "wogs" was originally applied to Indians. The semi-fossilised Major expounded to Basil Fawlty the difference between the N-word and "wogs". https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...n/23/fawlty-towers-isnt-racist-major-gowen-is

Oddly, it seems the AUS "wogs" corresponds to the USA "wops". I'm not sure that is very much better.

shanghaisailor

Super Anarchist
Shanghai, China
If you are saying the AUS "Pom" refers to the English in particular rather than the UK nations in general, afaik that is incorrect.

If you are asserting I am specifically English, that is true.
Yes, I am saying that. :cool: My Aussie friends and clients (I have been dealing with expats here in China for 20 years) usually called me a 'Jock'. In fact when any of them called me a 'Pom' and I stated I was a Scot they corrected themselves. In reality though both sides of the discussion probably have an element of correctness.;)

shebeen

Super Anarchist
comment based on the fact that the poms and the wogs made the final of the challenger series.

Wasnt the race where they set top speed after they had the crash?
Wait, are we talking AC36 here. so w**s = italians?

So you found a way to insult the wrong people?!
Surely you could find an easier way to offend them, there' the War, their football team (ask them how they did at the last world cup), pasta coming from marco polo, that Fabio male model. but don't forget to mention the War

Swanno

Super Anarchist

Surely you could find an easier way to offend them, there' the War, their football team (ask them how they did at the last world cup), pasta coming from marco polo, that Fabio male model. but don't forget to mention the War
Certainly no intention of offending anyone, Wogs, as far as I was aware, are Italians, such as Poms are English, Seppo’s are American, South Africans are Saffas and Skips are Aussies. I am not aware of any racial undertone to the phrase that has been used for as long as I have been aware though I am not easily offended and don’t take offence on behalf of others. At the same time, I don’t intend ever to be racist.

Since googling the term, I see there is a derogatory element to the phrase in some parts of the world Though, wikipedia tells it has largely been inoffensive for the last 80 years in our part of the marble. I guess I forgot that this is a global forum and not everyone is in 2022 where bigger problems exist.

from Wikipedia
”The slur became widely diffused in Australia with an increase in immigration from Southern Europe and the Levant after the Second World War, and the term expanded to include all immigrants from the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. These new arrivals were perceived by the majority population as contrasting with the larger predominant Anglo-Celtic Australian people. In contemporary times, the word has lost some of its negative connotations in Australia in certain contexts due to reappropriation by the intended targets of the slur, though this is still considered a point of controversy.[3]

This is an education piece I guess.

Last edited:

I think Swanno meant to say wops, slang (american) for Italians. Immigrants would arrive in America from southern Italy in the late 19th early 20th centuries without passports, thus the acronym. The Italian government of the day had such slight regard for the denizens of Sicily and the lower half of the Italian mainland that it refused to issue them citizenship papers in the belief that they were not Italian citizens so much, but rather immigrants from Tunisia and the like that had moved in outside of the proper channels.

Last edited:

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
I think Swanno meant to say wops, slang (american) for Italians. Immigrants would arrive in America from southern Italy in the late 19th early 20th centuries without passports
Wop is short for 'without passport'? Had no idea but makes sense, amazing the things one learns here on rare occasions :) Had actually never heard the term 'wog.'

shebeen

Super Anarchist
Certainly no intention of offending anyone, Wogs, as far as I was aware, are Italians, such as Poms are English, Seppo’s are American, South Africans are Saffas and Skips are Aussies. I am not aware of any racial undertone to the phrase that has been used for as long as I have been aware though I am not easily offended and don’t take offence on behalf of others. At the same time, I don’t intend ever to be racist.

Since googling the term, I see there is a derogatory element to the phrase in some parts of the world Though, wikipedia tells it has largely been inoffensive for the last 80 years in our part of the marble. I guess I forgot that this is a global forum and not everyone is in 2022 where bigger problems exist.

from Wikipedia
”The slur became widely diffused in Australia with an increase in immigration from Southern Europe and the Levant after the Second World War, and the term expanded to include all immigrants from the Mediterranean region and the Middle East. These new arrivals were perceived by the majority population as contrasting with the larger predominant Anglo-Celtic Australian people. In contemporary times, the word has lost some of its negative connotations in Australia in certain contexts due to reappropriation by the intended targets of the slur, though this is still considered a point of controversy.[3]

This is an education piece I guess.
well there you go, all learnt something today

Maybe, maybe not, nobody seems certain. The facial features of the Gollywog were those common in Africans from, say, Congo or Nigeria, whereas it seems "wogs" was originally applied to Indians. The semi-fossilised Major expounded to Basil Fawlty the difference between the N-word and "wogs". https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-...n/23/fawlty-towers-isnt-racist-major-gowen-is

Oddly, it seems the AUS "wogs" corresponds to the USA "wops". I'm not sure that is very much better.
On the topic of the Major and the Indian cricket team, did anyone watch the T20 match today of India vs the shackle draggers? It was bloody marvelous. The Ockers came back in the last 3 overs to win with 4 balls left to play. Phew! That was exciting cricket.

You can watch it with Pom commentators, but If you want to get the full sense of excitement, I recommend the Hindi channel.

It was fortunate that Creedence Clearwater Revival changed their name before their UK tour.

dg_sailingfan

Super Anarchist
Augsburg
There are only 4 Teams who are credible Contenders to reach and compete in the Season 3 Grand Final (San Francisco) next year.

AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
GREAT BRITAIN
UNITED STATES

The other 5 Teams do not have the consistency yet I think.

Admiral Hornblower

Super Anarchist
NE Ohio
There are only 4 Teams who are credible Contenders to reach and compete in the Season 3 Grand Final (San Francisco) next year.

AUSTRALIA
NEW ZEALAND
GREAT BRITAIN
UNITED STATES

The other 5 Teams do not have the consistency yet I think.
USA hasn't been showing much consistency lately, unless you count consistent back of the fleet finishes.

Latest posts