SailGP

jaysper

Super Anarchist
Wellington
They buy posts on FB, YT, IG and pay to put them in front of people... it doesn't take that much money to generate massive 'vanity' metrics... marketing depts all over do it...
The only way 1 Billion people will ever watch a yacht is if they manage to put one on Mars.

XPRO

On The Water
Total bunk - Sail GP would be lucky at best to have 1 Billion impressions even if they counted it the bogus Facebook way of 3 seconds as an impression.  With just 6 boats and 4 days of sailing at 6 venues good luck. Sure a video had 1 million global views, one video, a view can be 3 seconds if scrolled over on Facebook. Facebook got reamed by advertisers when it was found that as low as 1.5 seconds was seen as an impression. 

Americas Cup 36 video live viewing was as low as 29,000 live daily.

Tour de France is 21 days of racing plus 2 days days lead up, two day lay day with coverage, 17 nations represented. I did a swag for this this for 2020 Tour last year numbers (up 21% from 2019) and  looked at 17 countries and extrapolated from there. This is one of the key data points I found (not mine) -  2.2 billion people had watched at least 20 consecutive minutes of coverage while 3.2 billion had watched at least one minute. These are the key baseline numbers to understand this - 20 and 1 minute. This is just for media on TV, does not include pirated online, or in person viewing. 

Here are the newest numbers for the world Cup:

https://www.statista.com/chart/16875/super-bowl-viewership-vs-world-cup-final/#:~:text=According to FIFA%2C the 2018,in over its 90 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sailbydate

Super Anarchist
Kohimarama
The only way 1 Billion people will ever watch a yacht is if they manage to put one on Mars.
Agreed. 35% of the world's population has never even seen an ocean, apparently. 

Far fewer of those who have dipped their toes into seawater, have any knowledge whatsoever, of a yacht.

SailGP might as well be held on Mars. No wait... water?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
To SailGP’s credit, in the USA they are on TV channels that are  popular in bars, like what the AC Bermuda and SF broadcasts were. Even a lot of non-sailors got hooked. 

XPRO

On The Water
To SailGP’s credit, in the USA they are on TV channels that are  popular in bars, like what the AC Bermuda and SF broadcasts were. Even a lot of non-sailors got hooked. 
Let’s be honest , what does “got hooked” mean? In business we focus on the next sale, they investigated further, sought out the next race to watch, bought gear, learned how to sail... what you described was captive audience . 

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Let’s be honest , what does “got hooked” mean? In business we focus on the next sale, they investigated further, sought out the next race to watch, bought gear, learned how to sail... what you described was captive audience . 
No big deal but pubs in my area tend to have lots of TV’s and channels running. If you want an event turned up a touch for a table nearby that TV they will do that for you and after my expressions of interest with a few friends who joined in, it was typical for others to do the same for on other TV’s. In case it amuses anyone? At least half of the (yes, mostly sailing-and AC ignorant) watchers would root for NZ! 

Varan

Super Anarchist
What are these bars you speak of?

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Except when people were irate their usual Rodeo or Monster Truck sporting events had been preempted., lol.

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Yep! Have not been into my favorite pub, or any of them, since March. Am so looking forward to jabs! 
Mr Clew stopped drinking during the pandemic. Now I am going to be stuck buying wine by the glass unless it's a place with half bottles. Gawd what if I stop too?

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Mr Clew stopped drinking during the pandemic. Now I am going to be stuck buying wine by the glass unless it's a place with half bottles. Gawd what if I stop too?
Since starting to order everything delivered, it’s a close call about if I will frequent my pub ever again. But I will give it a try, it’s been almost like a ‘church’ community for many-many years, there are good people, good memories, and good laughs. 

accnick

Super Anarchist
Since starting to order everything delivered, it’s a close call about if I will frequent my pub ever again. But I will give it a try, it’s been almost like a ‘church’ community for many-many years, there are good people, good memories, and good laughs. 
Unfortunately, bars are probably the last place I will go in the near future.

Getting vaccinated is not an excuse for rash behavior.

Stingray~

Super Anarchist
PNW
Yes, NBCSN is one of the channels that play on bar screens, alongside whoever is broadcasting sporting events. NBCSN was broadcasting the AC in SF and in Bermuda and yes it was cool. 

That channel appears headed towards broadcasting AC36 too but I won’t be in any pubs to gauge interest or drive friends into engagement, this time. They are currently open for 25% capacity but I don’t trust the ventilation, especially in the restrooms! :)  Most of us will get our jabs soon enough, yay. 

NeedAClew

Super Anarchist
USA
Even with a jab or two, "toilet plume" is going to make me eye my fellow patrons and venues carefully for a long time. Restroom toilets never have lids. Plane lavs, I put the lid down to flush in case my glasses fall in but mostly it's up when I go in. 

I don't want to breathe anybody's plume. And airlines NEVER mention laws when they go on about their sponsored studies and surface cleaning,

TwoRockKnock

Bermuda
Not sure where to put this, but here seems as good a place as any. After AC35, I got into a heated set of conversations around the impact to Bermuda, and particularly kids sailing, and particularly lower income kids which in Bermuda are predominantly black kids. There was healthy amount of scepticism about any long term benefit. 

The Coutts sponsored "Endeavour" program has been putting sailing on the curricula of all public and private schools in Bermuda since the heady days of 2017. It's focussed around STEAM, so not strictly just sailing, but has nurtured some talented sailors who have continued sailing/racing at local clubs. Perhaps more important is the Maritime Springboard Program, which guides youngster towards maritime careers. 

From a recent article: The Endeavour Maritime Career Springboard Programme is a seven-week training initiative designed to benefit Bermudian youth ages 16 and older who are interested in the maritime industry by equipping them with the skills and training necessary to jumpstart their career. Forty-one Bermudian youth from across the Island have benefitted since the programme was piloted in 2018.

https://bernews.com/2021/02/fourth-cohort-of-endeavour-maritime-programme/#:~:text=%E2%80%9CThe%20Endeavour%20Maritime%20Career%20Springboard,necessary%20to%20jumpstart%20their%20career.

It's not just about learning to become coaches. Sail GP heads to Bermuda in May and is partnering with Endeavour. It's a success story and a real tangible benefit from AC35.

https://bernews.com/2021/03/sailgp-inspire-partner-endeavour-sailing/

[disclaimer: not involved in Endeavour in any way]