Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Volkeno

PNW
I think Rimas is in detention and if he get any info from him it will be when he pops up in LA asking the way to Skid Row and for someone to put money on his Starbucks card.

But he could also be dead.

Not My Real Name

Not Actually Me
Common ESL mistakes are more tense related...Can you borrow me the book ..yesterday I go to  the store...  even when baited with the answer ...Question What did you do last night? Answer..Last night I do my homework... Q  What did she do last night? A She do her homework last night ... Rarely, even at level 1, are there pronoun mistakes..It's almost always with the tenses..
Pretty much everyone I met and spoke to in Fiji - even a six year old girl in a village in the Yasawas - had some basic English. Enough to be understood and communicate. I had a young Fijian teen from a village tied to my boat for a couple of hours as we worked together to sort out some problems he was having with the outboard on his fishing boat. We had zero problems communicating.

May will speak Fijian and English, or Hindi and English if they aren't native Fijian (there are a fair number of folks there of Indian descent). But the blanks looks you get from speaking English to someone are close to zero.

But it's not always a first language, especially for people growing up in remote villages, and there is often what we Americans would perceive as an accent. And people will switch back and forth between languages quickly, especially if they have something to discuss among themselves. That's indicative of either less comfort with English, or a desire to mask what they are saying from the tourist, of course.

I don't know much about ESL and mistakes, but the English you hear spoken in Fiji is not textbook perfect by a long shot. I don't recall how pronouns were used or abused with the people I spoke with.

captpiratedog

Super Anarchist
El Mirage
Pretty much everyone I met and spoke to in Fiji - even a six year old girl in a village in the Yasawas - had some basic English. Enough to be understood and communicate. I had a young Fijian teen from a village tied to my boat for a couple of hours as we worked together to sort out some problems he was having with the outboard on his fishing boat. We had zero problems communicating.

May will speak Fijian and English, or Hindi and English if they aren't native Fijian (there are a fair number of folks there of Indian descent). But the blanks looks you get from speaking English to someone are close to zero.

But it's not always a first language, especially for people growing up in remote villages, and there is often what we Americans would perceive as an accent. And people will switch back and forth between languages quickly, especially if they have something to discuss among themselves. That's indicative of either less comfort with English, or a desire to mask what they are saying from the tourist, of course.

I don't know much about ESL and mistakes, but the English you hear spoken in Fiji is not textbook perfect by a long shot. I don't recall how pronouns were used or abused with the people I spoke with.
Finglish maybe?

Fiji Bitter

I love Fiji Bitter
In the wild.
Ok, believe me or not, i don't care, but the search plane came over my village this afternoon.
The regular afternoon plane lands at the airport a bit from here but this one came along the coast towards Savusavu and back again.
I talked to my uncle a while ago and he said the plane had not found anything this afternoon, and they will search again tomorrow morning from 8 to 9.

Also my father has 2 cousin brothers not far from Rabi and they have a fiber with a 40hp outboard. They have been diving on all those reefs for many years and could go looking for wreckage, if we find someone to pay for the benzine. But may be they should wait till after the plane search tomorrow. There is also a big police boat with 2 outboards in Tukavesi even closer to Rabi that might be able to do something, and also another fiber from the fishery department on Rambi itself. But it will be very slow to navigate through the reefs and it will take a while.

Must go now, and put the net out on the reef here as it is low water now, and we need to sell some fish tomorrow to pay for bus fare to the cane plantation in Labasa.
Nite nite all !

Trickypig

Super Anarchist
Australia
Ok, believe me or not, i don't care, but the search plane came over my village this afternoon.
The regular afternoon plane lands at the airport a bit from here but this one came along the coast towards Savusavu and back again.
I talked to my uncle a while ago and he said the plane had not found anything this afternoon, and they will search again tomorrow morning from 8 to 9.

Also my father has 2 cousin brothers not far from Rabi and they have a fiber with a 40hp outboard. They have been diving on all those reefs for many years and could go looking for wreckage, if we find someone to pay for the benzine. But may be they should wait till after the plane search tomorrow. There is also a big police boat with 2 outboards in Tukavesi even closer to Rabi that might be able to do something, and also another fiber from the fishery department on Rambi itself. But it will be very slow to navigate through the reefs and it will take a while.

Must go now, and put the net out on the reef here as it is low water now, and we need to sell some fish tomorrow to pay for bus fare to the cane plantation in Labasa.
Nite nite all !
thanks for that... I'm entirely believing of your posts. I think Rimas is either not responding for some 6 days whilst in a village or has met his demise.

I'm very sorry after all these years but I think it is the latter.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Also my father has 2 cousin brothers not far from Rabi and they have a fiber with a 40hp outboard. They have been diving on all those reefs for many years and could go looking for wreckage, if we find someone to pay for the benzine.
Gee, if only someone had suggested planning ahead for this necessity...

We could have quite a fund if someone had suggested it in 2013 or so...

I think raising money for a second rescue makes more sense than raising money for rigging. There seem to me to be some gaps in his preparation and no amount of charm or enthusiasm will fill them. Put on new rigging and most of the gaps will still be there.

captpiratedog

Super Anarchist
El Mirage

Nite nite all !
Thank you!! Keep us posted!! and Good luck with the Fishing!!

Super Anarchist
Thank you!! Keep us posted!! and Good luck with the Fishing!!

Nite nite all !
Do you have any contacts in Namboutini or Tabewewa ( Nuku ) ? 

If Rimas didn't end up on Texas Reef, there is a good chance he drifted towards one of these 2 villages. Might be worth reaching out to the Chiefs in these 2 villages to see if they know anything. 

Super Anarchist
The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )

It's not looking good. Assuming Mimsy's been wrecked, even if Rimas made it across the reef to shore he'll be cut to blazes by the coral. Given his age I doubt he could survive any subsequent infection. I fear he has had a very lonely, frightening and unpleasant demise.

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
.. And when his demise is proven, the go fund me campaign will encourage the legions of the psychopathically incompetent to follow in his emaciated  footsteps.

The Floating Rimas Cocktail 

2 1/2 cl Heavy Cream

2 1/2 cl coconut milk

6 cl  Pinapple Juice

4 cl White Rum

shaken with crushed ice, pour strained into large glass, slice of fresh pinapple on rim, garnished with a handful of Maraschino cherries

then 

1 cl Curaçao Blue lightly 'floated' into drink 

( a variation on the well known cocktail Swimming Pool )
Fixed

cherries.jpg

b4daylight

Seattle
Summary From what I can see Please add. 

Nite nite all !

1. We have some local people helping us,  it appears. Thanks

2. Rimas is still un accounted for after loosing the tiller and control off Rabi Island Fuji. 

3. There was a last communication to the Jean , but Jean then reached a black out and couldn't arrange for a tow or know where Rimas is. July 30  . He would have been low on cocktail condiments and water. 

4. The mystery continues. 

One_more_time

thats a great first post OMT   thanks for quoting me....I live to get quoted on this thread.

now i hope you have a sexy girlfriend/wife   cause I wouldnt mind seeing a pic of her tits....
What a nice way to welcome someone to the forum. You are a complete and utter dick.   I'm out.