Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
A few things to consider:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"
I think Jack was referring to the last 4 messages, which occurred over a 2 or 3 hour span. this appears to have been several hours before he possibly hit the reef.

I don't think Jack had any information we don't have, which is admittedly little. IDK what private  messages may have been exchanged between Rimas and Jean or others.

I agree we don't know full extent of 'broken tiller' or 'damaged sails'. Rimas certainly did have a track record of embellishment. 

What we do know is that if there was a possible hazard in his path, like Donut Island or the previous one a couple hundred miles before Samoa, Rimas went on endlessly about it. In his last four messages, not a word about Texas Reef, only Noboutini. I suspect he didn't know the reef was there.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Unless the wreck is discovered, we won't know exactly what happened. A Rawson hull is extremely thick, solid glass. It could possibly survive an initial reef impact. I'm just posing a possible scenerio of the boat sinking without major hull damage. If the boat was caught in breakers and tumbled, the mast was probably taken out by jamming into the reef during the roll-over. Possibly windows blown out (though much more water would flood through the open companionway), and probably some major structural damage. It could float long enough to be washed across the reef. But likely in such a condition that Rimas couldn't stop water from cockpit flooding into cabin...there wouldn't necessarily have to be water ingress by a hole in the hull.
the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

...too many variables,,, speculate ON! 

woolly

The Fold.
the hull may be thick,, but how are the keel attachments after all these years of non-maintenance.

...too many variables,,, speculate ON! 
Don't worry about the keel - it will be held on by a flock of barnacles, all holding hands.

Super Anarchist
     "Do you think," he asks, "that Captain Nemo survived the whirlpool?"

"No," she says. "Yes. I don't know. I suppose that is the point, no? To make us wonder?" She cocks her head. "He was a madman. And yet I didn't want him to die."
hear hear 

bfloyd4445

Super Anarchist
That's what has me puzzled.

If it is quite wide as you say, after the initial break on the reef, the waves will have dissipated most of their energy.  So if Mimsy did hit the reef, she would get pushed or rolled in a ways.   She would quickly become holed so she can no longer float so she quickly becomes a 15,000 lb lump facing greatly de-energized waves.  I would expect her to be lodged in the middle of the reef somewhere rather than pushed over into the lagoon area.

Edit:  In simpler terms, after the initial break,  the reef would act almost like a breakwater.   But that is just a guess.

Since there has been no sighting of Mimsy, I believe it possible that she did not hit it.
I just find it hard to believe that Mimsy just disappeared. If broken up there would certainly be large pieces easily seen. Of course there is deep water very close so if she went down in deep water it would be without a trace except maybe for the floating orange ring. I would not be surprise to hear he is alive and well sipping coconut juice on one of the islands.

And then  this:  

1. Jean M I checked and it is an old post. Had he turned the tracker on I would have pinged him and had his current location and sent the troops out to get him.
and then there was this post anyone know if this is accurate?

VFR VERT Rescue and Fiji Navy tweets lead you to believe they are looking for a yacht adrift NORTH of Vanau Levu. Rimas's last plot is EAST of the islands and presumably drifting SOUTHWEST. Are they searching for Rimas in the wrong area, or is there another yacht adrift north of Vanau Levu? I have searched the web for more news from Fiji without success. Anyone else having any luck?

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
he wouldnt have thought about stormboards, plugging leaks,ready packs,bilgepumps, flare kits.   He was probably asleep, fatigued out of his brain, low on physical energy and the interior completely dishevelled, not able to access hull holes because of junk in lockers, side on to a reef with no way of pushing off, grinding just grinding away on the reef, 8 miles from shore.  His last thoughts before the water closed over him ? The japanese girlfriend who left him, how nobody understood him and how it is all her fault. BITCH.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
I think he went catatonic at the first crash. If he had any last thought, it was probably bewilderment why there wasn't a concierge tow like every other time. 

bfloyd4445

Super Anarchist
is this his sister?

12096212_508527989306105_6970188320417874473_n.jpg

HypnoToad

Anarchist
I will add to the mysteries.  How did he make it through the other reefs in his path before Texas Reef? Shear dumb luck?

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
He spoke russian, japanese and english, so he wasnt a total dill. He was on the rebound from a broken relationship with his country and his girlfriend.  Like most other blokes, he made bad decisions during the rebound relationship and his life ended up on the rocks, literally.  He grifted what he could to get by, but there is no doubt that his focus was on escaping from bad past experiences.  He had few options left to him but to run, hide and throw the dice.  As his life ebbed away while his boat chewed away on the reef, Im sure the irony of his demise and the cold unrelenting reef attacking him wasnt lost on him.   Pheremones can really mess with a guys head, but he would be looking back on the good times, but immensely sad that she didnt understand him or care for him enough to weather the ordeals of life with him. Poor bugger, but im sure he was crying like a kid, stuffed tightly into his quarterberth and cursing her at the end...

Last edited by a moderator:

bfloyd4445

Super Anarchist
SailBlueH2O said:
Most certainly had to be luck....there are some nasty reefs NNE of his last position
I was looking at those and wondering how he ever made it past them. Made me think that Rimas was aware of what was ahead and not to concerned or he would have been pressing the sos button like he has done in the past. 

Varan

Super Anarchist
A few things to consider:

1. I believe the guy on FB (who first announced Rimas' "demise")  mentioned 4 fairly quick pings from Rimas, which I took to mean that Rimas was concerned about something at that point.

2. I think there is some information asymmetry.  We were privy to very little information.  I would have to think Rimas was in contact with Jean somehow other than through regular channels.  On his previous adventures there was also that alleged router based in the UK or something like that who was feeding Rimas instructions.  Going back to Point 1, I believe Rimas was not oblivious to this reef.

3.  Again, I find it entirely in character for Rimas to have pulled the broken tiller plea from his Rolodex of "emergencies"
Regarding point 1, the only concerns Rimyth expressed were the broken tiller and no one answering this call for a tow. The broken tiller may well have been a ploy to help resolve his main concern... Why does no one answer? I'm a world famous grifter, I mean sailor. Where is my greeting party?

Donovan

Earth
Rimas really has become Schrödinger's cat as was described by someone else many posts ago.  He is currently both alive and dead and will remain that way until observed.