Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
Dreams of heroes...

Jim Furnish‎ to Rimas Meleshyus

5 hrs ·

I have to tell you about my dream. I dont usually dream and never dream about being at sea...but as I was deeply slumbering I dreamed I was at one of my favorite anchorages from the old days...I knew I was there because from an angle The Cape looks like the profile of a goat's head. The sea was flat and slick like glass-not a ripple...it was kind of foggy when all of a sudden out of nowhere comes this sailboat going fast- the sails were billowing and full of wind but it was dead calm as she glided past me--and it was Rimas at the tiller, he waved and yelled at me-gave me a thumbs up and was gone in an instant. then I awoke-the dream seemed so real it startled me. Im trying to figure out what it all means. I think it means, or I should say I feel it means that Rimas is okay and safe somewhere and that everything is fine

Comments

Tom Ray You say this sailboat was going fast? Are you absolutely sure it was Rimas?

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
I think he has slipped through the reefs to the North and is bound to Guam to set up a protest/picket line to keep N Korean nukes from threatening all the Japanese tourists there. He has a history on Guam and his translation skills will reassure politicians on both sides of that conflict. That may even earn him a US ambassadorship to North Korea with Dennis Rodman as his Naval Attache.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I think he has slipped through the reefs to the North and is bound to Guam to set up a protest/picket line to keep N Korean nukes from threatening all the Japanese tourists there. He has a history on Guam and his translation skills will reassure politicians on both sides of that conflict. That may even earn him a US ambassadorship to North Korea with Dennis Rodman as his Naval Attache.
A picture of the two of them together would be interesting. Which eyes convey more crazy?

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
It would be Rimas to do that, stubborn enough to cut off the Delorme feed after no FB-CG tow arrangement, just sail out as easy as he came in.

Unless someone is going to dive Texas reef and tell us there are broken cherry jars and a concrete keel, then Rimas has long since left the building for an epic port on his last journey.

Australia, Guam, Japan or Alaska.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
A picture of the two of them together would be interesting. Which eyes convey more crazy?
Hard to find photos of Rodman without sunglasses (or false eyelashes!)

v0lTt7t.png

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
If Rimas cut off the Delorme (or the batteries went dead), it would be hard for him to navigate  back out to the north without input from his router....especially if he had to make a course allowance for current. That's in addition to 'broken tiller' and damaged sails.  Although it's certainly possible, I think it's unlikely he pulled it off. It seems increasingly likely the boat is on the bottom in the vicinity of Texas Reef. Too bad there's been no close search of the shorelines downwind for identifiable flotsam. I'm pretty sure there would be berth cushions, propane bottles, and chunks of interior woodwork. 

woolly

The Fold.
If Rimas cut off the Delorme (or the batteries went dead), it would be hard for him to navigate  back out to the north without input from his router....especially if he had to make a course allowance for current. That's in addition to 'broken tiller' and damaged sails.  Although it's certainly possible, I think it's unlikely he pulled it off. It seems increasingly likely the boat is on the bottom in the vicinity of Texas Reef. Too bad there's been no close search of the shorelines downwind for identifiable flotsam. I'm pretty sure there would be berth cushions, propane bottles, and chunks of interior woodwork. 
I couldn't see the berth cushions floating - they'd be so full of effluvial grime and chicken exudement, they would have gone to the bottom quicker than Rimass.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
Ahhh yes, this mysterious and alleged router.  If he exists, it would certainly explain how Rimas is often drifting toward apparent danger and we lose all contact, only to have him reappear a few days later clear and safe, declaring a new destination.

If this router exists and I doubt Rimas' bravado would allow him admit using one,  then is it not possible (as I mentioned the possibility of several pages ago) that the router informed Rimas of Texas Reef?

Once informed, he could possibly deviate to avoid the reef, then shut down all other communication to avoid embarrassment until he targets a new destination.  He was alleged to have 6 months of provisions, so that would leave maybe 3 months left.

Remember, he went dark for something like 6 weeks the last time he went to Hilo.  So I would say there is still a possibility (although remote) that he is just following his modus operandi and will reappear in a few weeks or months proclaiming his new destination and/or complaining about something.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ahhh yes, this mysterious and alleged router.  If he exists, it would certainly explain how Rimas is often drifting toward apparent danger and we lose all contact, only to have him reappear a few days later clear and safe, declaring a new destination.

If this router exists and I doubt Rimas' bravado would allow him admit using one,  then is it not possible (as I mentioned the possibility of several pages ago) that the router informed Rimas of Texas Reef?

Once informed, he could possibly deviate to avoid the reef, then shut down all other communication to avoid embarrassment until he targets a new destination.  He was alleged to have 6 months of provisions, so that would leave maybe 3 months left.

Remember, he went dark for something like 6 weeks the last time he went to Hilo.  So I would say there is still a possibility (although remote) that he is just following his modus operandi and will reappear in a few weeks or months proclaiming his new destination and/or complaining about something.
Ok. Ill tell you what i have learned. 

I looked up the delorme subscriptions a few years ago. One of thethebasic subscriptions allowed for 5 messages a day.  I assumed this is the plan rimas had. It allowed 3 messages a day to his fanbase and 2 additional messages , maybe one for an emergency and one from jean or a fellow named david wheatley from england who is the weather router. (Scroll back to the curricane). Jean can send him messages aslong as the delirme is turned on which was verified by jean . I think jean sent him messages about what hazards (land)was ahead.  

Rimas' blackout periods could be he shut it off to make jean panic or to hide his position. 

Rimas could also keep it on and not send messages because he is usiong the 5 messages to communicate with someone , ie jean, david , or shannon. 

According to jean the tracker is off.

bfloyd4445

Super Anarchist
Ok. Ill tell you what i have learned. 

I looked up the delorme subscriptions a few years ago. One of thethebasic subscriptions allowed for 5 messages a day.  I assumed this is the plan rimas had. It allowed 3 messages a day to his fanbase and 2 additional messages , maybe one for an emergency and one from jean or a fellow named david wheatley from england who is the weather router. (Scroll back to the curricane). Jean can send him messages aslong as the delirme is turned on which was verified by jean . I think jean sent him messages about what hazards (land)was ahead.  

Rimas' blackout periods could be he shut it off to make jean panic or to hide his position. 

Rimas could also keep it on and not send messages because he is usiong the 5 messages to communicate with someone , ie jean, david , or shannon. 

According to jean the tracker is off.
that's why no more messages after the four that day. This same thing happened on the Hilo trip t a mon latter he popped up.