Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Volkeno

PNW
I don't want to take away Rimas boat. The only concern I have with his "rescues" is if there was a time where there were two mayday calls at the same time and they went for Rimas instead of the people that have a real emergency. Otherwise those personnel are getting paid anyways and the expense is in the fuel spent and other consumables. They really need a tag on Rimas and Mimsy that pops up when he calls so they know not to send helicopters, or swimmers, but instead wait until he gets closer and send a boat.

Taking away his boat just makes Rimas an unhappy old guy that you are now responsible for his housing, medical and food. Net net, I think America is saving money by letting him drift around.

I might be tempted to give Rimas money if he would actually do work improving his boat, and bolt the Delorme to a bulkhead with a solar charger, so it can't be broken. Otherwise I don't see a reason to give him money to do what I would rather be doing while I save up money to do what he is doing now. Someone will mail him a sail, and someone will go rig the halyards, or it will never happen.

Wait! What?

PNW
I don't want to take away Rimas boat. The only concern I have with his "rescues" is if there was a time where there were two mayday calls at the same time and they went for Rimas instead of the people that have a real emergency. Otherwise those personnel are getting paid anyways and the expense is in the fuel spent and other consumables. They really need a tag on Rimas and Mimsy that pops up when he calls so they know not to send helicopters, or swimmers, but instead wait until he gets closer and send a boat.

Taking away his boat just makes Rimas an unhappy old guy that you are now responsible for his housing, medical and food. Net net, I think America is saving money by letting him drift around.

I might be tempted to give Rimas money if he would actually do work improving his boat, and bolt the Delorme to a bulkhead with a solar charger, so it can't be broken. Otherwise I don't see a reason to give him money to do what I would rather be doing while I save up money to do what he is doing now. Someone will mail him a sail, and someone will go rig the halyards, or it will never happen.
Couldn't agree more.  I know that when Rimas gets near his land target, the CG/Local authorities are pre-notified, via folks on land, that he is approaching and basic issues with the boat.  The American Samoa CG was following him, via Delorme, as he approached.  They knew the background and was still willing to assist IF he had a real emergency.  Rimas was never able to contact them as he drifted by. In this case at Saipan, no one knew were he was let alone alive. SAR doesn't ask for a resume first, they go even when it is the fault of every dumbass out there. I had to rescue many idiots during my time in SAR, but we did it willingly and without regret.

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Someone will mail him some sails. Idk if he's capable of bending them on, but I am sure he'll trash them in pretty short order. He's never demonstrated that's he's learning to take care of his gear. He can't repair his halyards, has no money to hire someone. Which means Jean or Shannon is going to have to fly there and do it for him. On their own dime, of course. Rest of the boat is a wreck, but at least remains somewhat functional...with the exception of motor. 

Tenoch

That would make identifying the body easier, for sure. I think there is a small movement to chip toddlers, in the event they  escape the house. Seems applicable to Rimas. 
Damn bro, you must have been really upset that he survived this last trip.

Last edited by a moderator:

RKoch

Super Anarchist
da 'burg
Don't take it personally, I doubt Rimas knows you exist.
<buzzer> wrong again kemosabe. He banned me from his FB page. I laughed. Like I'm laughing now. I would agree there's a lot of stupid comments in this thread...they're by people who didn't bother to read it before climbing on their high horse. 

captpiratedog

Super Anarchist
El Mirage
Japan is a good choice...you get a 3 mos landing visa, many will want to practice their English with him for a cup of coffee(does he speak English??) people are always throwing away good stuff so there is plenty of good trash to pick through  ...he can get lots of donated stuff..and  most likely someone will give him a better boat ( not that that matters much)  and he can get bumped up from Capt Rimus to Capt Rimus-san

Varan

Super Anarchist
What a cluster.  Looks like there is some sort of mainsail tied to the head stay. Love the oar.
I like the green stanchions, blue soap box, unwhipped frayed lines, foot hole in companionway cover, jury rigged jib on mast, jury rigged main on headstay, rusty compass pointing S, the bird shit on the sails, the missing section of toe railing... There is so much to love about that picture, but those green stanchions are especially creapy. Go Reamus!

Timmys_Trick_Turkey

Super Anarchist
Thats it. Im over reading this drivel. His feigned illiteracy and feigned poor  grasp of english, and feigned absence of rudimentary boat handling, and feigned position reports and false reports to rescue authorities, his grifting, the hovian trolls that feed him....  The whole thing is a con. And oh what a suprise. He's also Russian.  Goodnight comrade.

zenmasterfred

Super Anarchist
Lopez Island
Hmmmm...Perhaps if he was more literate he would leave behind log books like Donald Crowhurst.  His mistake is he keeps re-appearing in the flesh instead of departing mysteriously.

bfloyd4445

Super Anarchist
Thats it. Im over reading this drivel. His feigned illiteracy and feigned poor  grasp of english, and feigned absence of rudimentary boat handling, and feigned position reports and false reports to rescue authorities, his grifting, the hovian trolls that feed him....  The whole thing is a con. And oh what a suprise. He's also Russian.  Goodnight comrade.
not Russian but Latvian......Not a con its classic Grifting, the enablers are the cons

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
NO FAIR!  He's got a compass.............. :huh:
There was quite a bit of debate about that 100 pages ago or so.

I'm not going to go find it, but I recall a picture showing it more toward the center of the bulkhead. Now it's way over to the left but there's no hole where I remember it being. Must be early onset OldTimers.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
22552853_869821373176763_6285597097411172149_n.jpg