Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Columbus_zps8f644fbe.jpg

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
An A + for the RimasArt Mr Bubs

Conditions are small craft advisory and a developing trough near Rimas. 207 NM to go.

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST FOR AMERICAN SAMOA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PAGO PAGO AS
608 AM SST WED DEC 3 2014

AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS OUT TO 40 NAUTICAL MILES INCLUDING
THE FAGATELE BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY

PSZ100-040615-

.SYNOPSIS FOR AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS...A DEVELOPING TROUGH
WILL INTENSIFY TO THE NORTHEAST OF THE SAMOAN ISLANDS IN THE NEXT
12 TO 36 HOURS.

$

PSZ150>152-040615-
TUTUILA-AUNUU-MANUA-SWAINS-

...A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT...

.TODAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 10 TO 20 KT. SEAS 5 TO 7 FT. ISOLATED
SHOWERS.
.TONIGHT THROUGH THURSDAY NIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS
7 TO 9 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS.
.FRIDAY THROUGH SUNDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 7 TO 9 FT.
SCATTERED SHOWERS.

THE NEXT SCHEDULED FORECAST WILL BE ISSUED AT 300 PM SST.
FOR THE OTHER FORECASTS AND MODEL DATA GO TO OUR WEB PAGE
HTTP://WWW.PRH.NOAA.GOV/SAMOA

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Rimas Meleshyus

Wed Dec 3rd, 201410:08:15 am
Good morning. The closer to the island i getting more the wind see you guys in samoa i hope someone coming the island is good for fotography enjoying holiday !

Speed: 4.37 mph Heading: SSW Elevation: 1.05 ft Batt: Low Lat: -11.651860 Lon: -168.450643

floater

Super Duper Anarchist
quivira regnum
I don't know about the rest of you - but for me - destination is Pango Pango.

Looks - and sounds - wrong now without a twangy "ang" in the middle.

Ohey - off to Pango Pango we go.

Last edited by a moderator:

Alex W

Super Anarchist
Seattle, WA
He's picking up speed. In the last day he has averaged a blinding 1.7 knots compared to his normal 1.35 knots.

It takes real skill to go 1.35 knots in 8 knots of wind and only 1.7 knots in 20 knots of wind.

Karluk

He's picking up speed. In the last day he has averaged a blinding 1.7 knots compared to his normal 1.35 knots.

It takes real skill to go 1.35 knots in 8 knots of wind and only 1.7 knots in 20 knots of wind.
This is the central issue for me. All kidding aside, as I began learning how to sail my SJ24 around the bay last summer, the first thing, for me, was to figure out how to slow down. I saw the photo of his lazy sheet cleated tight. I can't believe it, but it really does seem like he is either hove to and slipping sideways all the way across the ocean, or perhaps he just lets loose of the sheets and the sails luff madly whenever the wind picks up. Bare poles above 10 knots?

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
I was a bit perplexed as well - but I had a mussel/barnacle farm sprout up under my boat in a couple of weeks one summer and I am pretty certain I didn't hit over 2-3 knots under full power. Just a guess since the knotmeter wasn't working - fouled for obvious reasons.

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
I was a bit perplexed as well - but I had a mussel/barnacle farm sprout up under my boat in a couple of weeks one summer and I am pretty certain I didn't hit over 2-3 knots under full power. Just a guess since the knotmeter wasn't working - fouled for obvious reasons.
the thing is, his speed has always been that slow. always. And he left with a clean bottom.

I like the theory that his lost dingy is a drogue that he doesn't know he is towing. But the reality is probably much less fun-- he cleats off backwinded sails, hasn't touched the main sheet since one of his enablers pulled it tight for the tow out of the SF Bay. Gets scared of the "bing bang on my all the time" and hides in the cabin, etc.

12 metre

Super Anarchist
English Bay
the thing is, his speed has always been that slow. always. And he left with a clean bottom.
Okay - I thought I had solved one of life's great mysteries :eek: . Now I'm back to being perplexed again. :blink:

Clove Hitch

Halyard licker
around and about
I was a bit perplexed as well - but I had a mussel/barnacle farm sprout up under my boat in a couple of weeks one summer and I am pretty certain I didn't hit over 2-3 knots under full power. Just a guess since the knotmeter wasn't working - fouled for obvious reasons.is
Okay - I thought I had solved one of life's great mysteries :eek: . Now I'm back to being perplexed again. :blink:
ohey is no problem mysteri of the seas

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Someone on Facebook said he found the batteries under the engine.

...that's pointing to the thought that Rimas has shifted to using private communications.

...he always received these from the 3 primaries,,,but earlier on,Shannon said that the only communications Rimas sends out are what we all see...this clearly has changed if Rimas sent a message of finding batteries,which wasn't public,but was relayed via his facebook feind :mellow:

Latest posts