Sailing around the world in a San Juan 24

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Latest transmission from Rimas. 157 nm to go.

"Sorry guys i could not use a tracker it was heavy rain and lightining still coming more lightining i hear now i sturgging with rain now soon off coming rain" at -12.3468,-168.8819

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
No joke can survive explanation, but here goes...

Rimas said he was out of batteries and had no more music. He also found unexpected food in a locker where engine stuff would be if he had one.

The attempted joke on Facebook was that he dug a bit more and found not just batteries but an engine.

Oh well. I thought it was funny.
Ah. I think we have gotten to the point in this great adventure that it has become difficult to distinguish fact from fiction. In other words, it has become plausible that Rimas could have been stepping over an engine for the last few months and not realize it. One would think there would be a limited number of possibilities, but I feel I never know what to expect when I check in on Rimas. Here is my working list of possibilities. Feel free to add or subtract:

1. Alive

2. Dead

3 Closer to Am. Samoa.

4. Headed back to California, riding a dolphin

5. Coming to terms with a tiger in his SJ24 (first time ever)

6.a fraud perpetrated by a pimply 16y.o. in Tacoma...with a tracker duct taped to a jerry jug
6 is now fixed
It would explain a lot. Like how the boat could go that slow.

Pretty creative work. Detailed and compelling somehow.

The pics in Hawaii are the best touch.

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Weather report with more wind and higher seas. High Surf Advisory for Manua Island [upwind]

FZZS50 NSTU 050129
CWFPPG

COASTAL WATERS FORECAST FOR AMERICAN SAMOA
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PAGO PAGO AS
229 PM SST THU DEC 4 2014

AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS OUT TO 40 NAUTICAL MILES INCLUDING
THE FAGATELE BAY NATIONAL MARINE SANCTUARY

PSZ100-051415-

.SYNOPSIS FOR AMERICAN SAMOA COASTAL WATERS...A SURFACE TROUGH WILL
ENHANCE SCATTERED TO NUMEROUS SHOWERS ACROSS THE SAMOAN WATERS
DURING THE NEXT 12 TO 18 HOURS. EXPECT HAZARDOUS SEAS OF 9 TO 11
FEET TO SUBSIDE TO NEAR 8 TO 10 FEET FRIDAY MORNING.

$

PSZ150>152-051415-
TUTUILA-AUNUU-MANUA-SWAINS-

...A SMALL CRAFT ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT...

.TONIGHT...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 25 KT. SEAS 9 TO 11 FT. NUMEROUS SHOWERS
AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
.FRIDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 9 TO 11 FT SUBSIDING TO
8 TO 10 FT. NUMEROUS SHOWERS AND ISOLATED THUNDERSTORMS.
.FRIDAY NIGHT THROUGH SUNDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS 8
TO 10 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS.
.SUNDAY NIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY...SOUTHEAST WINDS 15 TO 20 KT. SEAS
7 TO 9 FT. SCATTERED SHOWERS.

THE NEXT SCHEDULED FORECAST WILL BE ISSUED AT 1000 PM SST.
FOR THE OTHER FORECASTS AND MODEL DATA GO TO OUR WEB PAGE
HTTP://WWW.PRH.NOAA.GOV/SAMOA

Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
He's in full Rimas navigation mode now: he is aiming the boat in any random direction EXCEPT at Pago Pago.

He must REALLY want to get there!

Just as when he doesn't want to hit an Island (Jarvis, Christmas) he aims directly at it and manages to miss it (sometimes by inches) now he homes in on Pago Pago by avoiding it.

We're pulling for you, little cucaracha!

But please don't mistake "pulling" for "towing".

Karluk

Oddly, at this point, I'm hoping he somehow manages to float around the world. I guess I've abandoned my earlier objections. I reserve the right to object again, however. :)

billr

On Wednesday some of his friends responses on Facebook mentioned travelling to American Samoa. It sounded like they were serious - Jean said he had a ticket. The only way I can imagine Rimas getting into that harbor and tying up is if someone charters a boat, motors out and tows him back in. Then they will have to arrange to get him a dinghy and anchor (does he even have an anchor?).

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
Rimas is at the center of this wind map.

Rimas 2014-12-05_122813.jpg

On Wednesday some of his friends responses on Facebook mentioned travelling to American Samoa. It sounded like they were serious - Jean said he had a ticket. The only way I can imagine Rimas getting into that harbor and tying up is if someone charters a boat, motors out and tows him back in. Then they will have to arrange to get him a dinghy and anchor (does he even have an anchor?).
The enablers to the rescue?

If any world record is set, it will be one of dependency.

Last edited by a moderator:

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
It's a deepwater port, the wind, waves and current are entering the harbor so even a clorox bottom would make it in. Here is a picture of the customs dock and a plastic bottle that made it in.

samoa-garbage customs dock.jpg

samo3889.jpeg

billr

It's a deepwater port, the wind, waves and current are entering the harbor so even a clorox bottom would make it in. Here is a picture of the customs dock and a plastic bottle that made it in.
Rimas couldn't sail by himself either in or out of San Francisco bay where the tide can sweep you in or out like a Clorox bottle depending on your timing. He was towed in and towed out when he left. With over a hundred days of open ocean sailing to sharpen his skills I agree he should have no problem getting into Pago Pago but ...

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Rimas couldn't sail by himself either in or out of San Francisco bay where the tide can sweep you in or out like a Clorox bottle depending on your timing. He was towed in and towed out when he left. With over a hundred days of open ocean sailing to sharpen his skills I agree he should have no problem getting into Pago Pago but ...

...............it actually took two tow-outs for our 'hero' to depart SF :mellow:

...I surely hope he's making some communications with his handlers,,private or not.

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast

...yes,,,we're very impressed....once you get in to port. :mellow:

Rimas Meleshyus

Fri Dec 5th, 20146:51:15 pm
I am really surprised no rain now takes long time to get samoa on this klnd wind if rains the stops and extremely calm when you don t have engine not easy to do

Speed: 2.49 mph Heading: S Elevation: 1.05 ft Batt: Low Lat: -13.129703 Lon: -169.118921

Rimas Meleshyus

Fri Dec 5th, 20141:52:00 pm
Hello. To pago pago samoa 138 miles only today 118 day at sea. In the morning was very long heavy rain it was impossible contact with you guys i am really sorry

Speed: 0.62 mph Heading: ENE Elevation: -12.27 ft Batt: Low Lat: -13.069643 Lon: -169.036588