Somebody Else

a person of little consequence
PNW
Knts/hr????

thanks_for_breakfast.gif

couchsurfer

Super Anarchist
NA westcoast
Attention ! New Record ! 44 nm since last night.

44 nm to go to Pago Pago ! https://share.delorme.com/RimasMeleshyus

.....~75 miles in 22 hours= ~3.3 knot average....you don't find this uncustomary? :mellow: <_<

clean needs to get to pago pago asap and do an on the water report when our hero drifts in. this is breaking news, possibly the best and most vital story to happen to the sailing world in decades. and hes playing with day sailors. rimas is sooo going to be disappointed when he floats in.

....Rimas' timing seems impeccable for his impending role with Mapfre :)

Rimas Meleshyus

Sun Dec 7th, 201410:21:45 am
Good morning guys 120 days at sea. Fantastic guys last couple days tremendes progress thanks to the wind.very close to the island 49 miles only today or monday

Speed: 3.74 mph Heading: SSW Elevation: 34.32 ft Batt: Low Lat: -13.777328 Lon: -170.162901

Last edited by a moderator:

Karluk

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: What happens when he gets close enough to see all the inny outy parts of the island and can't tell which inny part is Pago Pago because he doesn't have a chart?

Norse Horse

Super Anarchist
The Rock
He is 32 nm away, it is 11 am local time and sunset is 6;42pm. I would say that is a valid question. My guess is Jean will hire a water taxi to tow him in.

Right now he is just making course to sail outside of Aunuu Island. To sail inside without an engine gives less room for error and puts him on a lee shore. I assume a tow would come earlier.

rimas2.jpg

rimas1.jpg

Karluk

So he could arrive tonight if he continues his breakneck pace, but probably tomorrow morning....Er, wait. Does he still drop sails and drift at night? He said he no longer trusts sheet to tiller steering. That might be a problem if he gets close and decides it's sleepy time. Be a shame to go all that way and just wash up on the reef at 4:00 am while sleeping.

billr

Ok, I'm going to ask a stupid question here: What happens when he gets close enough to see all the inny outy parts of the island and can't tell which inny part is Pago Pago because he doesn't have a chart?
E
First he has to get there. He's about 30 mi away going 6 k heading SE. He needs to pass east of the island then turn right about 90 deg and head into the harbor mouth. The wind is supposed to be SE later which would be perfect if only he can get into the right place to make the turn. It is just before noon there so if he keeps that speed he should be able to enter the harbor in daylight. If you look at the chart it isn't all that simple. There's a recommended channel to follow in, reefs, a small island to avoid etc. I've always thought the handlers would arrange a tow. Meanwhile there is a small craft advisory now and wind and waves to pick up around 10 pm there. If the handlers can guide him through this into the harbor under his own power I'll ... Uh...be amazed and drink another beer. Any other thoughts on how this is going to play out?

Karluk

Ok, another stupid question: Is this towing thing common? I mean, I would be a bit nervous if my engine failed and I had to sail into my marina and into my slip, but sailing into a harbor and dropping anchor seems like a fundamental skill one would acquire before setting off to break world records. Is it something that people in am. Samoa are going to think is weird, or fairly common?

Latest posts