Sailing in Ft ************

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Anyone have any info on any sailboat rentals in the area? Going to be there for a week starting tomorrow and realized I don’t know Jack about the area. 

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
There are a number of resort places and marinas, but mostly North of Ft Myers in the Punta Gorda/Burnt Store Marina area.  Also, you can rent something sunfish ish at South Seas Plantation on Sanibel Island.  Someone else will probably know more and be more specific with you.  But my generalizations are a starting point.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sail4beer

Usual suspect
Toms River,NJ
Thanks! Spent some time there in the late 90’s. It was all newly weds and nearly deads and nothing to do except swat mosquitos and throw beer back.

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
Better than me...I was there in the mid 80s for a spell being a BMW for a sail charter co. out of Burnt Store.  And also a ton of racing offshore.

kent_island_sailor

Super Anarchist
Kent Island!
Last we were there we chartered a Mako center console and had some fun running up and down the channels and pulling up on islands with half a mile of sugar sand beach and no one but us.

Lots and lots and lots of shallow water there ;)

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
Board up! I might just do something like that
Captiva Island for shelling!  Usepa Island for iconic little bar that has really old tarpon scales inked on and inlaid in the bar.  And of course, the infamous Cabbage Key.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hork

Captiva Island for shelling!  Usepa Island for iconic little bar that has really old tarpon scales inked on and inlaid in the bar.  And of course, the infamous Cabbage Key.
I didn't realize anything was publicly accessible on Useppa? I'll have to look into that.

Just got home from Ft. Myers last night. My parents have a Super Cat 17 in Bokeelia. I sailed out Boca Grande pass and got lunch at South Beach bar and grill on Gasparilla last week. Very beach cat friendly.

I've also rented a Getaway from Ft. Myers Beach in the past.

BGeff

Super Anarchist
Ann Arbor, MI
It may not be publicly accessible.  Been a long long time since I stopped in there.  Gotta love Bokeelia and Gasparilla, along with Boca Grande!

@last

Anarchist
If you do end up renting a powerboat the Inn on Cabbage Key that BGeff references is pretty cool.  They claim to be the inspiration for Buffets "Cheeseburger in Paradise" ballad (although everything I have read points to it being a place in the Caribbean)-that said it is a fun place with dollar bills on the ceiling and an off the beaten path/more authentic vibe (slight disclaimer has been a few years since I have been there so things may have changed) and the food not bad/bar food.

sailorman44

CT/FL
There is a active and friendly E scow fleet racing out of the Sarasota Sailing Squadron In Sarasota on Wednesday afternoons. You can probably get a ride. PHRF racing at the Squadron on Sundays although the fleet is sadly diminished compared to past years.  Last I was there there was an Ensign in the fleet.

Latest posts