Sailing Stereotypes

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Funny, not funny, doesn't matter. The question is, is this what US Sailing should be doing with dues? Is it consistent with their mission, to mock sailors? I mean putting aside how stupid it is.....

Maxx Baqustae

Super Anarchist
Canadian Southwest
And where was the ego-maniacal, narcissistic, type A, psychopathic racer?
No shit. I can send you a picture of him if you want? Won something in 1981 but he'll tell you all about that he's sailing god but he's just a legend in his own mind only. Er....some buy into his bs though. Our little the Donald of sailing.

CrushDigital

Super Anarchist
New York, NY
Funny, not funny, doesn't matter. The question is, is this what US Sailing should be doing with dues? Is it consistent with their mission, to mock sailors? I mean putting aside how stupid it is.....
I'll give you that, I tell myself I'm paying $30 a year for a sheet of stickers and some coupons and just try to ignore what a waste it is.

Left out the self-important asshole sailing administrator who likes to run all events, from the meekest pot luck at the local YC, up to national sanctioning bodies, in a way that makes you question whether they give two shits about the sport or are just in it for ego gratification and their own benefit. There's always one in the room and seemingly - as in most sports and as with big chunks in septic tanks - a lot of them gravitate upwards toward national or even international positions. Like their corporate equivalent, the "How the FUCK did THAT GUY get in this room? I mean, he's not even qualified..." guy, it isn't clear how they get into positions of power, yet they always do. How those around them at every level of the sport avoid shanking them, is not clear to me and is a testimony to the basic decency of all the other people who give back selflessly to the sport, all the time. Here, they'd be bitching at somebody about their class flag being a little discolored and sun-faded, and giving others instructions to go to the wrong buoy for the race start.

But other than that, great video.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
What's wrong No.6 did "The Old Salt" hit a little too close to home for ya? LOL :lol:

George Hackett

Super Anarchist
Left out the self-important asshole sailing administrator who likes to run all events, from the meekest pot luck at the local YC, up to national sanctioning bodies, in a way that makes you question whether they give two shits about the sport or are just in it for ego gratification and their own benefit. There's always one in the room and seemingly - as in most sports and as with big chunks in septic tanks - a lot of them gravitate upwards toward national or even international positions. Like their corporate equivalent, the "How the FUCK did THAT GUY get in this room? I mean, he's not even qualified..." guy, it isn't clear how they get into positions of power, yet they always do. How those around them at every level of the sport avoid shanking them, is not clear to me and is a testimony to the basic decency of all the other people who give back selflessly to the sport, all the time. Here, they'd be bitching at somebody about their class flag being a little discolored and sun-faded, and giving others instructions to go to the wrong buoy for the race start.

sounds like some people out here

AJ Oliver

Super Anarchist
Sandusky Sailing Club
Marketing Alert -

OK, so serious question for US Sailing (I'm sure they are tuned in).

Won't that video turn potential sailing newkies away from the sport?

Show it to some non-sailors and ask them how it makes them feel about getting into sailing.

Sure it's "true," and those people (and worse) are out there, but . .

Watching it is almost enough to keep me from splashing my boat (in just a few weeks).

Nah . . nothing but the Big One could stop that from happening !!

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
What's wrong No.6 did "The Old Salt" hit a little too close to home for ya? LOL :lol:
Nah, not really... okay maybe a little bit.
Jim Meahan was a bit of a wingnut, but when I was quite a bit younger I remember him telling some story and the punchline was, "Meahan puts 'em up and only God takes them down". So out of that whole waste of a video, that one bit did bring a smile to my face.

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Well it just goes to show with humor, like a lot of things, people have different tastes.

Personally I think it is hilarious. It's obviously not a marketing video to attract new sailors to the sport. And I highly doubt if somebody new or interested in sailing sees this video it would turn them off, it's clearly a joke.

Now whether you think US Sailing should be spending money to make spoof videos is a different subject. However, with the sponsors and an inexpensive video I don't think a lot, if any, member dues were used.

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Well it just goes to show with humor, like a lot of things, people have different tastes.

Personally I think it is hilarious. It's obviously not a marketing video to attract new sailors to the sport. And I highly doubt if somebody new or interested in sailing sees this video it would turn them off, it's clearly a joke.

Now whether you think US Sailing should be spending money to make spoof videos is a different subject. However, with the sponsors and an inexpensive video I don't think a lot, if any, member dues were used.
See, that's exactly the problem...it IS part of their campaign to get people into sailing. And it will not do that. Abject waste and thoroughly counterproductive.

us7070

Super Anarchist

See, that's exactly the problem...it IS part of their campaign to get people into sailing. And it will not do that. Abject waste and thoroughly counterproductive.
i don't think anything us sailing does or doesn't do has anything to do with whether people get into sailing or not

getting people into sailing should be done on a local level, not a national level

it takes actual people with actual boats - they need to invite people who might want to go sailing

does us sailing even own any sailboats?

for sailors to complain that us sailing doesn't do enough to get people into sailing is ridiculous - they are not nearly the best situated people to do that

we are

so get on it

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY

i don't think anything us sailing does or doesn't do has anything to do with whether people get into sailing or not

getting people into sailing should be done on a local level, not a national level

it takes actual people with actual boats - they need to invite people who might want to go sailing

for sailors to complain that us sailing doesn't do enough to get people into sailing is ridiculous - they are not nearly the best situated people to do that

we are

so get on it
I'd be willing to wager I'm a lot more "on it" than most.... I just don't see where a video making sailors look like massive dickheads helps out at all. Not that this sport isn't full of dickheads, but like 79% of humans are dickheads so as long as sailing is 79% or less, we're doing a bang-up job :p

MikeR

Super Anarchist
Bayside, NY

we are

so get on it
I'd be willing to wager I'm a lot more "on it" than most.... I just don't see where a video making sailors look like massive dickheads helps out at all. Not that this sport isn't full of dickheads, but like 79% of humans are dickheads so as long as sailing is 79% or less, we're doing a bang-up job :p

Agree. I don't think that something like this does any good for our sport. Enjoy Charleston! Say hi to Bri and Kristen.

Latest posts