Sailing Stereotypes

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
She leaves a hanging curve like that Michael and you tell her to enjoy CRW and say hi to your kids?
Mickes a nice guye, of coorse he sayes that. I dointe thicke he wantes herre halve bad time in the citey of churches. :)

Hobie Dog

Super Anarchist
Chesapeake Bay
Well it just goes to show with humor, like a lot of things, people have different tastes.

Personally I think it is hilarious. It's obviously not a marketing video to attract new sailors to the sport. And I highly doubt if somebody new or interested in sailing sees this video it would turn them off, it's clearly a joke.

Now whether you think US Sailing should be spending money to make spoof videos is a different subject. However, with the sponsors and an inexpensive video I don't think a lot, if any, member dues were used.
See, that's exactly the problem...it IS part of their campaign to get people into sailing. And it will not do that. Abject waste and thoroughly counterproductive.
i don't think anything us sailing does or doesn't do has anything to do with whether people get into sailing or not

getting people into sailing should be done on a local level, not a national level

it takes actual people with actual boats - they need to invite people who might want to go sailing

does us sailing even own any sailboats?

for sailors to complain that us sailing doesn't do enough to get people into sailing is ridiculous - they are not nearly the best situated people to do that

we are

so get on it
Blonde, Where was it said or printed that this video is part of US Sailing campaign to get people into sailing? If it is then sure I will agree that it serves little purpose for that. But I also don't think that anybody remotely interested in sailing would be turned off by a YouTube video that is clearly a spoof.

us7070, Totally agree getting people into sailing has to be done at the local level where actual boats and water exist. Our club has club owned boats specifically for teaching sailing at both the youth and adult levels.

Bruno

Super Anarchist
context is everything, if this is an amateur production designed to entertain the members at a meeting or something, fine. If it is a professionally produced high cost effort to spread sailing's appeal by demonstrating awareness of stereotypes and trying to rise above them, then not so effective. Otherwise, i can see myself in some of the caricatures, as can most sailors, so accurate enough.

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
They missed some really good other stereotypes though:

Guy that buys a new MacGregor and 'outfits' it with every plastic gimcrack from the sale bin at West Marine

Broke-ass guy that buys 3x the boat he can afford, bitches about the price for anything "Marine Grade" and re-wires his boat with speaker wire and old extension cords

Guy that sails a catamaran a handful of times and now thinks he's Randy Smyth and tells everyone about the fantastic performance of his 30-year old Gemini and how it can sail 15 knots straight upwind

Owner of a J-Anything about how everyone else should just buy whatever HE just bought, for the good of the sport

Dinghy sailors, falling out of a van in a rolling cloud of ganja smoke with irie tunes bumping

What ? Too close to home ?

Great Red Shark

Super Anarchist
Honolulu
You know how when people lose one of their senses, the other senses become more keen ?

That's why people with no sense of humor have a heightened sense of self-importance.

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
Well it just goes to show with humor, like a lot of things, people have different tastes.

Personally I think it is hilarious. It's obviously not a marketing video to attract new sailors to the sport. And I highly doubt if somebody new or interested in sailing sees this video it would turn them off, it's clearly a joke.

Now whether you think US Sailing should be spending money to make spoof videos is a different subject. However, with the sponsors and an inexpensive video I don't think a lot, if any, member dues were used.
See, that's exactly the problem...it IS part of their campaign to get people into sailing. And it will not do that. Abject waste and thoroughly counterproductive.
i don't think anything us sailing does or doesn't do has anything to do with whether people get into sailing or not

getting people into sailing should be done on a local level, not a national level

it takes actual people with actual boats - they need to invite people who might want to go sailing

does us sailing even own any sailboats?

for sailors to complain that us sailing doesn't do enough to get people into sailing is ridiculous - they are not nearly the best situated people to do that

we are

so get on it

Blonde, Where was it said or printed that this video is part of US Sailing campaign to get people into sailing? If it is then sure I will agree that it serves little purpose for that. But I also don't think that anybody remotely interested in sailing would be turned off by a YouTube video that is clearly a spoof.
us7070, Totally agree getting people into sailing has to be done at the local level where actual boats and water exist. Our club has club owned boats specifically for teaching sailing at both the youth and adult levels.

This tripe is part of a campaign by USSailing called "The Beat", which according to USSailing has "one goal: to capture the essence of sailing - one of the most thrilling sports and activities on the planet." If you watch the initial trailer video, it seems their goal was to present sailing as fun and exciting. Some of their other videos in the series did this well. This one did not.

beezer

Annapolis
Fucking hilarious. Get a sense of humor you grumpy old men. Sailing anarchy does more in a day to discourage new sailors with all the negative crap spewed than any sailing video.

John Drake

Banned
Portmeirion
Fucking hilarious. Get a sense of humor you grumpy old men. Sailing anarchy does more in a day to discourage new sailors with all the negative crap spewed than any sailing video.
Probably right, but SA's mission statement is to grow Scot's pocketbook, not the sport of sailing.

Canal Bottom

Super Anarchist
Jupiter Island
They missed some really good other stereotypes though:

Guy that buys a new MacGregor and 'outfits' it with every plastic gimcrack from the sale bin at West Marine

Broke-ass guy that buys 3x the boat he can afford, bitches about the price for anything "Marine Grade" and re-wires his boat with speaker wire and old extension cords

Guy that sails a catamaran a handful of times and now thinks he's Randy Smyth and tells everyone about the fantastic performance of his 30-year old Gemini and how it can sail 15 knots straight upwind

Owner of a J-Anything about how everyone else should just buy whatever HE just bought, for the good of the sport

Dinghy sailors, falling out of a van in a rolling cloud of ganja smoke with irie tunes bumping

No proper shirt, no proper shoes, and they wonder why the service is just not there for them?

13BOD911.jpg

o-DRAG-QUEEN-facebook.jpg

What ? Too close to home ?

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
Funny, not funny, doesn't matter. The question is, is this what US Sailing should be doing with dues? Is it consistent with their mission, to mock sailors? I mean putting aside how stupid it is.....

I'll give you that, I tell myself I'm paying $30 a year for a sheet of stickers and some coupons and just try to ignore what a waste it is.
$30 ?? maybe 10 years ago....$60 brother......and another $70 every 3 years for each of my ceritfications

Latest posts