Sailing Stereotypes

BlondeWithFreeBoat

Anarchist
NY
The first time I saw tripe in a grocery store shelf I almost hurled. Hooooooly crap does that look gnarly!
It's quite popular in Firenze, I've learned. My cousin eats it up.

I first encountered it when I moved there. I also encountered the little styrofoam meat trays containing whole skinned rabbits that still had eyes and everything, gingerly wrapped in with plastic. And horse meat, and some other stuff that was too horrific looking for me to even check the label to identify. Nope nope nope!

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
mmmmm, Tripe!
The first time I saw tripe in a grocery store shelf I almost hurled. Hooooooly crap does that look gnarly!
It's quite popular in Firenze, I've learned. My cousin eats it up.
I first encountered it when I moved there. I also encountered the little styrofoam meat trays containing whole skinned rabbits that still had eyes and everything, gingerly wrapped in with plastic. And horse meat, and some other stuff that was too horrific looking for me to even check the label to identify. Nope nope nope!
horse meat in Sicily is a delicacy :)

Ajax

Super Anarchist
Edgewater, MD
Yes when I visited Mercato Centrale, I observed shredded horse meat. Apparently it's high in iron.

Most of the butcher's cases held the complete animal, or as complete as possible. Stephania says this is to show that the meat is fresh and that you're really getting what they are advertising/what you're asking for.

I saw Palumbo (shark), hog's heads cleaved in two, whole chickens, whole skinned rabbits, etc. I think shopping there and cooking in our apartment was one of the really enjoyable parts of the trip. Cousin says I'm a pretty passable cook.

Laker

Super Anarchist
PNW
And nobody here laughed at "Yaaachting" when it came out. Still laughing at how to walk down a dock. Seems to me to just be an update from print to video.