Sailors Powerboat

Sail4beer

Super Anarchist
Toms River,NJ
Like b b got out before me...That’s a steadying sail to keep down the roll under seaway. 

Don’t ever mention the Mac26 again.

Unless we’re going waterskiing 

BB935DE3-57DE-4320-992A-BB974E5C6398.jpeg

sailforbeer

Here
A sailor's powerboat is a powerboat built by a sailor.  Greg Salthouse's take on this is brilliant.  I lust after this boat.  Outboard motor in a well (runs quietly and efficiently, easy to repair, doesn't take tons of room inside), big open cockpit, comfortable salon with views, and cozy bunks.  Not too big, not too small.  Not too fast, not too slow.  This is the Goldilocks of powerboats.  In my opinion.

pixel.gif
http://www.salthouseboats.com/southstar-37-coastal-cruising-vessel.html

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

@last

Anarchist
Well I am a little biased, but cruise at 15kts, tops at 21kt.  110hp yanmar turbo diesel.  Micro cruising for sure, but deliveries sure do go a lot faster.

Pompano 21-1.jpg

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
A sailor's powerboat is a powerboat built by a sailor.  Greg Salthouse's take on this is brilliant.  I lust after this boat.  Outboard motor in a well (runs quietly and efficiently, easy to repair, doesn't take tons of room inside), big open cockpit, comfortable salon with views, and cozy bunks.  Not too big, not too small.  Not too fast, not too slow.  This is the Goldilocks of powerboats.  In my opinion.

pixel.gif
http://www.salthouseboats.com/southstar-37-coastal-cruising-vessel.html

View attachment 256998

View attachment 256999
Really nice.  Like everything about it except the NZ800,000 price tag (US$600k or so).  

They haven't updated their web page to say how fast it will go with twin 370 hp diesels.

But I guess twin 315's just were not enough for some.
There was just a big gap in performance between the 315 hp diesels and the prior gas boats. It lost the "hot rod" factor with the diesels. CH Marine says that the Yanmar 370 hp will get the same top end as the old Merc 502s -- 45+ kts in flat water.  

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
There was just a big gap in performance between the 315 hp diesels and the prior gas boats. It lost the "hot rod" factor with the diesels. CH Marine says that the Yanmar 370 hp will get the same top end as the old Merc 502s -- 45+ kts in flat water.  

I used to be the occasional Mate on deliveries of the one-off Shelter Island 50, Longevity.  Designed by Douz Zurn who penned the smaller boat that was originally started with Billy Joels financial help.  The hull was built of kevlar in Maine then sent to CH Marine for finishing. When my Mate Peter went north to find that work had ceased on it there, he moved it to Derektors, where it was completed.  Cool boat!  50/50/50.  50 feet on deck, 50 MPH, and 50 gallons per hour, per engine.  Two 1400 HP Mann Turbo Diesels spinning surface piercing props in a patented "Tunnel Vent" design where the large exhaust pipes emptied into chambers under the hull creating the surface piercing conditions.  Driving at speed on the ICW was like flying on instruments, constantly scanning the plotter, the gauges and the channel markers.  One time we left Rudee Inlet in VA Beach around 5:30 AM.  Stopped in Atlantic City, 6 hours later for fuel.  Then we slowly picked our way north via the Shinnecock Locks and canal on western Long Island, then arriving at Shelter Island YC at 2:30 in the afternoon to join the owners much larger Feadship there.  My mate Peter stayed with the boat from completion and the next two owners.  The third owner was not a good fit for him, so he retired from the program.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westlawn.edu%2Fgfx%2Fgallery%2FDoug%20Zurn%2FshelterIsland50.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westlawn.edu%2Fgallery%2Fdetails.asp%3Fasset_ID%3D35&docid=qZrxhNTSMl-_kM&tbnid=FJxPRurlPzKPDM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwj4j87duvHYAhVGC6wKHURABQAQMwgoKAEwAQ..i&w=500&h=500&itg=1&bih=637&biw=1366&q=shelter island 50&ved=0ahUKEwj4j87duvHYAhVGC6wKHURABQAQMwgoKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjqzfTnvPHYAhUB0FMKHZemDwYQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yachtopolis.com%2Findex_details.asp%3Fid%3D38903%26show%3D1&psig=AOvVaw3Ci_DTGlOazrdFqiNZAUhe&ust=1516912816326291

Last edited by a moderator:

@last

Anarchist
I used to be the occasional Mate on deliveries of the one-off Shelter Island 50, Longevity.  Designed by Douz Zurn who penned the smaller boat that was originally started with Billy Joels financial help.  The hull was built of kevlar in Maine then sent to CH Marine for finishing. When my Mate Peter went north to find that work had ceased on it there, he moved it to Derektors, where it was completed.  Cool boat!  50/50/50.  50 feet on deck, 50 MPH, and 50 gallons per hour, per engine.  Two 1400 HP Mann Turbo Diesels spinning surface piercing props in a patented "Tunnel Vent" design where the large exhaust pipes emptied into chambers under the hull creating the surface piercing conditions.  Driving at speed on the ICW was like flying on instruments, constantly scanning the plotter, the gauges and the channel markers.  One time we left Rudee Inlet in VA Beach around 5:30 AM.  Stopped in Atlantic City, 6 hours later for fuel.  Then we slowly picked our way north via the Shinnecock Locks and canal on western Long Island, then arriving at Shelter Island YC at 2:30 in the afternoon to join the owners much larger Feadship there.  My mate Peter stayed with the boat from completion and the next two owners.  The third owner was not a good fit for him, so he retired from the program.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westlawn.edu%2Fgfx%2Fgallery%2FDoug%20Zurn%2FshelterIsland50.jpg&imgrefurl=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.westlawn.edu%2Fgallery%2Fdetails.asp%3Fasset_ID%3D35&docid=qZrxhNTSMl-_kM&tbnid=FJxPRurlPzKPDM%3A&vet=10ahUKEwj4j87duvHYAhVGC6wKHURABQAQMwgoKAEwAQ..i&w=500&h=500&itg=1&bih=637&biw=1366&q=shelter island 50&ved=0ahUKEwj4j87duvHYAhVGC6wKHURABQAQMwgoKAEwAQ&iact=mrc&uact=8

https://www.google.com/url?sa=i&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=images&cd=&cad=rja&uact=8&ved=0ahUKEwjqzfTnvPHYAhUB0FMKHZemDwYQjRwIBw&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.yachtopolis.com%2Findex_details.asp%3Fid%3D38903%26show%3D1&psig=AOvVaw3Ci_DTGlOazrdFqiNZAUhe&ust=1516912816326291
Nice looking boat!  Thanks for sharing the story and pics, pretty impressive for those who can afford it.

kinardly

Super Anarchist
I always wondered if those classic, narrow beamed powerboat designs were more rolly than later, beamier boats or are later designs just a concession to a market that demands maximum volume in a given slip length?

Livia

Super Anarchist
Southern Ocean
Niiiiiicccceeee motorsailer, yacht!  What is it, and what did she motor at, and fuel consumption?
Marion du Fresne, Allan Buchanan design built for well known yacht equipment supplier in 1966 in Tasmania

Carvel and splined from new.

The engine as a true special, one the 40 Gardner 4LKs that where released from civilian use in 1966.

Prior to that supply was restricted to military use only. (Midget submarines that attacked the Turpitz were powered by 4LKs).

Used  about 100 litres (25 gallons) a day at 7.5 knots.

Had about 800 litres of fuel capacity so 2 of the 4 tanks were never used.

Rig was more for steadying sails but could reach at 6 knots if pressed in breeze

Had three great years cruising Tasmania in it.

billy backstay

Nice looking boat!  Thanks for sharing the story and pics, pretty impressive for those who can afford it.

"Longevity" was the coolest power boat that I ever had the good fortune to be involved with, and it was an on and off relationship over a couple decades.  On the delivery from VA Beach to Sag Harbor, I was standing in the head taking a piss in the black custom carbon fiber head, when we hit a wave. I was immediately, and violently launched backwards into the shower door which collapsed inward where I toppled into a heap on the shower floor, still pissing as I fell!!  A couple of other times, Peter brought the boat to the Essex Boat Works, in CT, near our waterfront home of 30 years, because Bayside  Diesel, a shop not too far away in Mystic was certified to service the Mann Turbodiesels.  We would take a bunch of our mates out for joyrides on the lower CT River.  When doing a tight power turns at 35-40 knots in the flat river water, the wake would create a huge wave that would crash down on the two unsuspecting guests, sipping their cocktails, and facing aft, in the $1,500.00 Stidd Fighting Chairs near the transom.  The boat was totally tricked out with all the latest Sportfishing gear, stowed in custom built-in drawers, and an aft facing camera could film all the action from the small varnished antenna mast atop the cabin top.  They had some epic fishing days in the Bahamas with the first owner when the boat used to be berthed in the first slip on the right as you walk out the concrete pier to the Palm Beach YC dining room.  In addition, the first owner, who owned a private money management company for wealthy clients also had a large industrial building in West Palm that was renovated into a classic car restoration business along with his companies offices.  Most of the offices had lexan windows open to the showroom with all his 2 dozen or so, cool cars.  I got to drive a couple of Ferrras, including a one-off Enzo "ONE-EYED" race car from the 50's, which IIRC won a bunch of races but had a transmission that felt like a John Deere tractor, and had terrible brakes, because Enzo did not believe it brakes!!!  I drove it to a nearby parking lot, so some guys from a French car magazine could photograph for an article in their periodical.......

@last

Anarchist
"Longevity" was the coolest power boat that I ever had the good fortune to be involved with, and it was an on and off relationship over a couple decades.  On the delivery from VA Beach to Sag Harbor, I was standing in the head taking a piss in the black custom carbon fiber head, when we hit a wave. I was immediately, and violently launched backwards into the shower door which collapsed inward where I toppled into a heap on the shower floor, still pissing as I fell!!  A couple of other times, Peter brought the boat to the Essex Boat Works, in CT, near our waterfront home of 30 years, because Bayside  Diesel, a shop not too far away in Mystic was certified to service the Mann Turbodiesels.  We would take a bunch of our mates out for joyrides on the lower CT River.  When doing a tight power turns at 35-40 knots in the flat river water, the wake would create a huge wave that would crash down on the two unsuspecting guests, sipping their cocktails, and facing aft, in the $1,500.00 Stidd Fighting Chairs near the transom.  The boat was totally tricked out with all the latest Sportfishing gear, stowed in custom built-in drawers, and an aft facing camera could film all the action from the small varnished antenna mast atop the cabin top.  They had some epic fishing days in the Bahamas with the first owner when the boat used to be berthed in the first slip on the right as you walk out the concrete pier to the Palm Beach YC dining room.  In addition, the first owner, who owned a private money management company for wealthy clients also had a large industrial building in West Palm that was renovated into a classic car restoration business along with his companies offices.  Most of the offices had lexan windows open to the showroom with all his 2 dozen or so, cool cars.  I got to drive a couple of Ferrras, including a one-off Enzo "ONE-EYED" race car from the 50's, which IIRC won a bunch of races but had a transmission that felt like a John Deere tractor, and had terrible brakes, because Enzo did not believe it brakes!!!  I drove it to a nearby parking lot, so some guys from a French car magazine could photograph for an article in their periodical.......
Sounds like some really epic memories of the boat and not a bad backdrop to play in either.  Was in Palm Beach briefly over x-mas, many stops close by WPB to see my favorite but forgotten pink MORC 30 in Riviera Beach, a quick stop at lighthouse point marina,  Fort Liquordale, etc before heading to Florida City/the keys.  Rarefied air incomewise for sure though in that area, reminds me of the famous JP Morgan quote, "if you have to ask how much it costs...........".

10thTonner

Hazard to Navigation
South of Spandau
Yeah, it's true, but we can dream, can't we?  
Hehe! Wanna ride? Just google "Venice watertaxi Riva" ! Lots of pictures... I did it last year. The drivers let you stand right behind them if you ask. Fascinating boats. The commute from airport to inner city via grand canal is breathtaking. 

billy backstay

Hehe! Wanna ride? Just google "Venice watertaxi Riva" ! Lots of pictures... I did it last year. The drivers let you stand right behind them if you ask. Fascinating boats. The commute from airport to inner city via grand canal is breathtaking. 
Spent two days in Venice riding the water taxis in October, before a ten day Dalmatian Coast cruise on the Star Flyer, 4-masted Barque small cruise ship.  We will definitely be returning to Venice soon!!!!!

billy backstay

Missus BB and I spent many a New Years Day breaking ice in Hamburg Cove on that tug, with Capt. Ned, and Carol and bunch of other mates!  Good times!!  Pity the boats not around here any more, but Dan who now owns CT River Dock & Dredge has a smaller, cuter tug now instead....

EDIT:  Do I know you fastyacht?