Sailors Powerboat

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Missus BB and I spent many a New Years Day breaking ice in Hamburg Cove on that tug, with Capt. Ned, and Carol and bunch of other mates!  Good times!!  Pity the boats not around here any more, but Dan who now owns CT River Dock & Dredge has a smaller, cuter tug now instead....

EDIT:  Do I know you fastyacht?
Almost certainly. We corresponded 5 or 6 years ago about frostbiting and stuff. I'm not sure we've met formally but your name is familiar. I'll probably eventually go, "oh duh, of course!"

Last edited by a moderator:

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
Almost certainly. We corresponded 5 or 6 years ago about frostbiting and stuff. I'm not sure we've met formally but your name is familiar. I'll probably eventually go, "oh duh, of course!"

Okay thanks!  I don't recollect our conversing, but a lot can happen over 5 or 6 years.  So, you are familiar with the Creole Miss tugboat, then?

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Okay thanks!  I don't recollect our conversing, but a lot can happen over 5 or 6 years.  So, you are familiar with the Creole Miss tugboat, then?
Only to the extent that I have admired her ever since I first landed in Essex in '01. Always liked watching the trees in the rigging or lights in the trees in the rigging or whatever that is called, carrying Santa to the dock.

billy backstay

Only to the extent that I have admired her ever since I first landed in Essex in '01. Always liked watching the trees in the rigging or lights in the trees in the rigging or whatever that is called, carrying Santa to the dock.

Yes, Essex has it all going on!  The Friggin' in the Riggin', Rat Parade, Buzzard Festival, and Loser's Day Parade to commemorate the burning of the fleet, by the Brits in the War of 1812, supposedly the largest financial loss of that short war.  We lived there on South Cove for 30 years, and didn't realize how stuck up people there are, until we moved 7 miles north to Chester Village in 2016! :wacko:

billy backstay

Billy, you make lots of comments that align with my experiences: that speed might seem cool, but downsides come with 20+ knots ....

Yes, there are lots of downsides to very fast boats, most of them having to do with personal cashflow, if you are the owner! LOL!!!   But driving very cool toys, owned by very rich people, has it's place in the world.  And I know my Regressive friends will tell my very Liberal self, that I was the beneficiary of "trickle down" economics, when I was paid to operate those machines, and I would have to agree with them. 

See Level

Super Anarchist
Here's one I get to play with.

Note fuel consumption.

Still not wide open.

IMG_20170428_131517744.jpg

billy backstay

Detroit diesel and MTU partnered up in the 90's

I'm not sure exactly who owns who at this point.

I think I had heard that.  But I have not kept up with power boat stuff over the years.  Everything is becoming globalized.  Airbus just took an ownership stake in Bombardier for no apparent cost, by taking over their marketing.

Greyhound37

Super Anarchist
Annapolis
We have enjoyed our MJM 34Z built by Boston Boat Works. MJM is part of the Johnstone family. Good stable mate for the J-88 

25 knot cruise, 11 GPH

34Z.JPG