Sailors Powerboat

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
ThunderCat is the coolest. I almost bought on ages ago when they brought a racing fleet of them to St Thomas for a circuit. Those little boats ripped but couldn't stay in the water in the tradewinds conditions, at least not with Gonzo West Indians driving them. I think a guy just did Sydney to Hobart in one!

olsurfer

I like that Nigel Irens Rangeboat. Here is another cool Bieker lightweight powerboat and it's for sale.

shearwater-home.jpg

Passport111

We met some people on our annual week long cruise on lake Michigan  who had recently transition from being lifelong sailors to this:

Sabre Yachts....used to make really nice sailboats too.

100511btpn-9765.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

dacapo

Super Anarchist
NY
I had a G-W and it was a fantastic boat until I was out the day after Christmas and the engine put a rod through the block :angry:

This thread is utterly worthless without a price range and desired use for the boat.

Just FYI, I have one sailboat, one RIB, and one Boston Whaler.
I have 3 sailboats 1 rib and will be getting my friend's SeaSwirl 18 fishing boat for a year before I press my other good friend to sell his GW Offshore 24 to me a the "friend's price"

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
I like that Nigel Irens Rangeboat. Here is another cool Bieker lightweight powerboat and it's for sale.

View attachment 256312
Looks nice...i like efficient boats 

its possible they have a downside, but since Im not a motorboat guy I dont know it 

the powerfull ,high speed , ocean going east coast motorboats are highly refined

if you want to go fast offshore look to these designs 

folks like Merrit in florida

IMG_7891.JPG

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
Yea, but the Minnow could not do 40 + knots...   

I would lean toward one of these...   ;)

images

shaggy

Super Anarchist
Co
6275796_20170620100529485_1_XLARGE.jpg

This would require a full time varnish person, but with the OP original parameters, I would think a cabin girl would be appropriate.  

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide

This would require a full time varnish person, but with the OP original parameters, I would think a cabin girl would be appropriate.  
If a seagull flew over and pooped on that boat, the owner would have a breakdown .

much better to mess around with a boat,  not a  floating piano 

Student_Driver

Super Anarchist
Darien
I've heard more than one sailor comment that Nordhavn's are only power boats which appeal.

WRT to GW, a friend has a 30' and I noticed parts of the plywood stringers in the hull not fully/properly covered in fiberglass. Not for me. 

Le Grand Blue (See Level's post) is kind of ridiculous in an irresistible way. When the tender to ur boat is a 70' Dubois designed aluminum sailing yacht, with it's own tender..... It was the subject of some adverse news in NY when it was moored off of the Statue of Liberty for several weeks.

For me, the best power boat is a motor sailor.... enclosed pilot house and a SA/D around 18, DWL around 280 and enough fuel for over 1.5K NM under power... 

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Lefty:

It really wasn't meant to be my take on a Lake Union Dream Boat. But I have been around the Dreamboats for so many years I think, now you mention it, that some of those influences have definitely crept into this design. Makes sense.