Sailors Powerboat

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Sorry for you, Bob.

I can understand a sailor moving to power as he/she ages and wants to stay  on the water, but I think there should be a continuing desire to minimize carbon emissions and the use of fossil fuels. It doesn't look like your boat is doing that, but I could very well be mistaken.

I just hit 69 and I'm still committed to sail - with a Torqeedo!

- Another Bob

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Bull:

I love my new powerboat and as usual I don't give a fuck what anyone else, except the client, thinks. Just stand back and watch it happen. The whole focus of this design is max performance with minimum power while making the client happy.

BobC

LA
Sorry for you, Bob.

I can understand a sailor moving to power as he/she ages and wants to stay  on the water, but I think there should be a continuing desire to minimize carbon emissions and the use of fossil fuels. It doesn't look like your boat is doing that, but I could very well be mistaken.

I just hit 69 and I'm still committed to sail - with a Torqeedo!

- Another Bob
Also have a Torqeedo. Also share your feelings about carbon and this was a major concern when we were shopping, the Jenneau, in it’s class is crazy efficient compared to everything else we looked at. 12 gph at cruise speed compared to 25 and more for many others. No need to be sorry, i’m fine. 

BobC

LA
Bull:

I love my new powerboat and as usual I don't give a fuck what anyone else, except the client, thinks. Just stand back and watch it happen. The whole focus of this design is max performance with minimum power while making the client happy.
Hi Bob, I think he was ragging on me not you. It’s been good to see the carbon cutter project progress, good work. 

Unkle Krusty

Gabriola BC
Most of the trawler type fizz boats I encounter are motoring around 6.5 to 7 knots. Which means they are going a 1/2 to 1 knot faster than us in the Viking 33. They are also using a hell of a lot more fuel. We average about 15 mpg. Imperial gallon. It varies with wind and currents, and throttle opening. Quite a few of the new 40 foot and bigger sail boats are also motoring at 7 plus knots. And some like Neptunes Car went by me at around 8.5. It makes sense to me, to make a fizz boat a bit longer and skinnier than some of the trawlers. That way they can run around 8 to 12 knots quite efficiently. Many boats from yesteryear could do that. The boat Bob is designing makes sound sense to me, except the extra moorage cost.

Unkle Krusty

Tanton Y_M

Super Anarchist
Newport R.I
A sailor 40' power boat. Previous boat, a Tanton 46' sailboat. Both aluminum built.

300RHpic7-JY12-10.jpg

300RHpic6-JY12-10 (2).jpg

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
I like that Nigel Irens Rangeboat. Here is another cool Bieker lightweight powerboat and it's for sale.

View attachment 256312
I got to use this boat for a cruise with my wife and friends Steve & Kathy Callahan. I'm not the world's most experienced powerboat guy, but it seemed to do everything amazingly well. It had a big-boat feel, went plenty fast with 60 HP, and handled a long stretch of punching into really nasty chop with good speed and without stress.

I think that people who commission and own fuel efficient powerboats are doing much more for the environment than just saving fuel. They are showing that it doesn't take horsepower to be cool. The opposite maybe...

I also really like the motor yacht that Bob Perry has been working on. Imagine pulling into a marina full of Bayliners and Sun Seekers with something like that.

Bull City

Bull City
North Carolina
Hi Bob, I think he was ragging on me not you. It’s been good to see the carbon cutter project progress, good work. 
We got too many Bobs going here, including me, who really is another Bob. I'm not ragging on anyone. I just think as sailors at heart,  we should be sensitive to the carbon footprint we leave. As I admitted, I could be mistaken about Bob C's boat.  I'd like to know more.

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
Yeah, I wasn't really ragging BobC but 30+ kts is a bit greedy. I like the boat, especially the 'moonroof'. I'd go for a spin about the creek in it. What sort of power does it take to haul that NC 11 around? 

Bob P's skinny powerboat is an interesting approach. Look forward to seeing more on it.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
What are your choices for a sailors powerboat? Go..........................
If you mean choices actually made with money, I have two aluminum skiffs, a rotomolded skiff, a pontoon boat, and a 22' power cat.

If you mean favorites I have actually owned, a 15 Whaler (either of the two I've owned) and a little toy called Kinetic Energy. (15 Whaler is also the only powerboat I have ever deliberately sailed, not counting MacGregors.)

If you mean what's next in the fleet, a lightweight tunnel hull skiff that will go 30 knots across a few inches of water. Then I'll probably re-create Kinetic Energy.

And if you mean choices I might make with someone else's money, you're going to need to narrow down the question. Powerboat for what purpose?

maarten

My favorite 8 knot SB

Steel built, 35 tonnes, solid as a brick shithouse. 

harns.jpg

wr.JPG

JimC

Not actually an anarchist.
South East England
I've been thinking over this for taking racing photos on my little reservoir. I think what I want is a Tornado cat platform or similar with a small weather shelter and silent electric drive capable of running it up to about 15 knots.

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
I've been thinking over this for taking racing photos on my little reservoir. I think what I want is a Tornado cat platform or similar with a small weather shelter and silent electric drive capable of running it up to about 15 knots.
The Cowmaran will go about that fast with twin 20 hp Suzuki's. But it was never designed to go that fast and better speed could be achieved.

cowmaran-flyby-lg.jpg