Sailors Powerboat

LionessRacing

Super Anarchist
Myrtle Beach,
We probably will need a “Sailors’ wife’s powerboat”. Mine is thinking of something to run up and down the ICW with a group of sisters/kids/gkids. 

We have a boat ramp to ICW at our development, and a 45x12’ slip up at LightKeepers in Little River, SC for Lioness that could hold a pontoon used to shuttle up there. 

a bit of research suggests the 1998 4 stroke Honda 15 HP would move it 6kts sedately, and a larger motor more quickly. 

boat needs to be towable at <3500 lbs GVWR, and ideally easy enough to operate that Wife/kids/gkids can manage launch/operations and recovery 

seems to be quite a few 20-30’ pontoons on Craigslist and wide price range for new  

brands to favor/avoid ? 

Pellefin

Sweden
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HOkfJkiwIs 3 uppdaterad.png g

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
Very interesting.  For those of us not blessed with PNW-scale protected cruising grounds I'm curious to hear your thoughts on stabilization for a long skinny light vessel like that both underway and at anchor.  Fins+flop stopper+pole?  Seakeeper gyro?
They make some smaller Seakeeper gyros, might works for this design at just a bit over 15,000 pounds of dis-lacement.

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
They make some smaller Seakeeper gyros, might works for this design at just a bit over 15,000 pounds of dis-lacement.
That's what I was thinking - if you can use the $32k, 550lb Seakeeper 3, no inverter/generator is required - a big alternator will power it underway (85A), and you could even conceivably use it overnight  in a roll-y anchorage if you had a good battery bank and big (2.5kW or so) solar array.  Their specs say it's good up to 10.5T (fine) or 36-39' (hmm).

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
That's what I was thinking - if you can use the $32k, 550lb Seakeeper 3, no inverter/generator is required - a big alternator will power it underway (85A), and you could even conceivably use it overnight  in a roll-y anchorage if you had a good battery bank and big (2.5kW or so) solar array.  Their specs say it's good up to 10.5T (fine) or 36-39' (hmm).
Seems that displacement would be more important than LOA. But what do I know, I am not an engineer.

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
I'm not convinced it would need any stabilizers. It's so narrow I would think the motion would be gentle. The VCG is very low for a powerboat.

Newfy stool.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

MauiPunter

Will sail for food
When ever I dream of what motor yacht I would like to own, its one of those classic looking clipper motor yachts that could have been a schooner, has a bow sprint, but has no sails.  Not even sure what to call this design or style.  One showed up in Boston harbor a couples summers ago and I instantly fell in love.   They feel like old money and have so much style.

The yacht below, NERO, is what I would consider the powerboat I would want as a sailor....

nero1.jpg

Forget those modern superyachts that have no soul, this has it in spades.....

Last edited by a moderator:

Snaggletooth

SA's Morrelle Compasse
When ever I dream of what motor yacht I would like to own, its one of those classic looking clipper motor yachts that could have been a schooner, has a bow sprint, but has no sails.  Not even sure what to call this design or style.  One showed up in Boston harbor a couples summers ago and I instantly fell in love.   They feel like old money and have so much style.

The yacht below, NERO, is what I would consider the powerboat I would want as a sailor....

Forget those modern superyachts that have no soul, this has it in spades.....
Howe aboute a Monney 185?

Bob Perry

Super Anarchist
Dolphin:

That knife is Sgian Dubh pronounced "scain doo" a traditional Scottish knife worn tucked in your high sock.

Latest posts