Sailors Powerboat

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Seakeepers are selling like hotcakes. And the fin stabilizers are also doing brisk business.

Fins are superior to gyros at higher speeds on an installed weight basis; gyros more effective at low or no speed. You can develop a lot of heeling or pitching moment hydrodynamically when moving fast...but the fin makers build "zero speed" options which work well. Once you get past 100 feet the gyros get stupid heavy and numerous though. Oh and expensive.

Client who has run offshore for 30 years told me that after he got his seakeeper, his old buddies don't want to be aboard if it isn"t running.

Last edited by a moderator:

Foredeck Shuffle

More of a Stoic Cynic, Anarchy Sounds Exhausting
Pilothouse watermans work boat with a large open deck, heavy built, deep vee in front, nearly flat halfway back, low draft, glass not wood.  Great for hanging out, running races, what ever you want to do and it is smooth in chop and doesn't buck in waves due to the heavy front with the deep vee, tends to split waves more than go over them.  Been slowly rebuilding one for a little while, replaced the deck, faired bottom, every wire and electrical item replaced and exceeding ABYC recommendations.  Have some electronics to select, been taking that slow due to the lack of availability.  Will eventually repower, current engine is a workhorse and runs well but its old, will be last thing replaced and currently it maxes out around 22kts which seems about perfect.  I only want to go fast when sailing.

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
A fairly large number of lightweight sailboat builders and those involved in the engineering either have proposals or boats built that use less fuel than in the past.   Lyman Morse has been contracted to build a 27 foot electric hydrofoil for a new firm.  

Navier 27

A sailors powerboat forces the same questions you would ask someone who is new to sailing.  What do you want to do with it and how much money do you have to spend?   For every letter in the alphabet somebody is targeting sailboat sailors for a new or used powerboat.  

Pick a letter and we have a boat.  How about M?

Melges has a powerboat and Mark Mills has a design.    Tartan bought the molds to an older line of powerboats.  Catalina is trying again with the molds to the Pearson 38 and 34.  Sabre now has two lines of powerboats and has not built a sailboat in more than 10 years.

One of the best ideas for US or Canadian sailors would be a used Ranger Tug.  The 26 footer seems to be the reasonable priced boat.  Go on your adventure and then sell it for close to what you paid for it. 

New Ranger Tugs but go used....much better price

However my favorite powerboat for sailors allows you to still have a sail!  Picture yourself hauling in this mainsail imagining you are crossing the ocean in a gale!   Introducing the Grand Banks Trawler sailboat!   Takes the saying "steady as she goes" to a new level of enjoyment. 

36f997b4573049803f6ab896510a41a4.jpg

Snarley

Super Anarchist
US
For those with pesos...  Two Robert Perry proposals.  The proposal that resembles a short range Hinckley jet boat in red was customized and built.  The big difference being the RP design had a very long range on one tank of fuel for serious cruising.   The second proposal where the owner might prefer to steer from the pilothouse appears to have a lot of potential with new build techniques for much better performance under sail than in the past. (Definitely my favorite).   If neither of these work Kevin Dibley has the answer.  Just put an oversized big honking Yanmar engine in your new Lyman Morse 46 and cruise all day at low double digit speeds...  For the rest of us google Ranger Tug.  Some of the small used ones have Volvo sailboat diesels. 

RP Tug.png

Trawler sailboat.jpg

LM 46.jpg

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
I haven’t seen a Broom on this thread. Great boat with superb accommodation. This is my boat out cruising on the Atlantic coast of SW Ireland last July. I’ve raced and cruised all sorts over the years but I’d rather cruise a motorboat nowadays as time is a bit limited. 

5D0EDA47-ADF7-41DB-A7C3-7B063B2A15E9.jpeg

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
I sold the Sun Cat a while back and am now a Picnic Cat guy.

It's not my Cowmaran, though I'm jockeying for third in line to inherit it. Or maybe fourth, I don't know. It's getting a pair of new 20 hp Suzuki's this week.
Just put a bunch of hours on my new Suzuki 20. It burns less fuel than I was expecting. Still need to total up my hours and fill-ups, but I think it's well under 1 gallon per hour at around 5000 rpm (tops out at 5800).

Seem like a really nice motor. 

Why a pair of them instead of one?

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
A long time ago I did a rower's powerboat. It was also a cat. I did not have the guts to push the idea of the motor being on one hull. Wish I did. The motor makes a lot of wake of its own. Maybe someday. But that market is now owned by others.

nige

Super Anarchist
Just put a bunch of hours on my new Suzuki 20. It burns less fuel than I was expecting. Still need to total up my hours and fill-ups, but I think it's well under 1 gallon per hour at around 5000 rpm (tops out at 5800).

Seem like a really nice motor. 

Why a pair of them instead of one?
One outboard for the efficiency, two for the warm and fuzzies (depending on your playground and conditions you’ll be in ;) )

Latest posts