Sailors Powerboat

accnick

Super Anarchist
This is our sailor's powerboat in her native Maine waters. When we found her, she had the same name and much the same interior look as our last sailboat. It was a natural fit.

Calypso 34 Camden.jpg

nav area.jpeg

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
This is our sailor's powerboat in her native Maine waters. When we found her, she had the same name and much the same interior look as our last sailboat. It was a natural fit.
Love the blue hull!  

Here's our trawler from our 6 week summer Channel Islands cruise.  Wake at 8.5kt cruising speed, and anchored in "our" secret cove on Santa Cruz Island

Wake.jpg 637869241_StaCruz.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
This is a pretty cool thread. Nige's tastes are the closest to my own, of corse, but kim's 50 footer having ample power with 400 horsepower is pretty cool. That's less power than lots of 20 footers have nowadays. 

The Bieker 30 footer made from a recycled Ultimate 30 was what got me interested in powerboats. That boat goes a lot of miles every year and the owners love it.

The single outrigger still seems like the best option to me for a single engine multihull, but my brain can handle asymmetry and most people can't. I should have built one for myself instead of another power cat, but I had the hulls and needed a project. The single outrigger in the photo is "experienced". That's a Bolger "Slicer" in the photo too. A really good boat.

DSC_0230.jpeg

PC040102.jpeg

PC040092.jpeg

Raz'r

Super Anarchist
De Nile
This IS a really great thread. 

Attachments

• 1102555033_ScreenShot2021-12-14at6_51_15AM.png
    1102555033_ScreenShot2021-12-14at6_51_15AM.png
    5.8 MB · Views: 16

kimbottles

Super Anarchist
PNW
I am a big fan of Nige’s boats and of course Russell’s boats.

I went through a lot of small powerboats while I was commuting so I have a fair amount of time in them.

I am a big fan of LFH’s “keep it simple” philosophy.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
Nigel Irens Ocean Eagle 43. Ok that's not the best shot to see what it looks like.

image.png

Wave piercing works if you have enough volume. I think this boat could use more.

image.png

Better photo of what it really looks like. It's actually an Offshore Patrol Vessel. Designed to keep going in the rough stuff.

image.png

His skinnier civilian boats are a bit more sedate but follow the long and skinny theme

image.png

socalrider

Super Anarchist
San Diego CA
His skinnier civilian boats are a bit more sedate but follow the long and skinny theme

View attachment 479225
Ahh MOLLY BAN... she's been for sale for quite some time, no?  Not as light as Bob's version but extant and available.  

A long skinny moderately powered vessel seems perfect for Pacific Coast passages into or with the swell/wind.  16kts would be a dream if the economy were good enough to maintain a decent range.  Molly Ban claims 14kt @ 8gph or 10kt @ 2.6gph.  36,000lb displacement.

Zonker

Super Anarchist
Canada
I've seen it. I don't pretend to understand how it works in depth (other than "tip vortices bad") 

Mobius propellers scare me a bit.  image.png

Testing it against a 14.75x15 and 15x15 is great but were those the best props for the boat? I'm not so sure. Were the conventional props deliberately underpropped? (they all reached top engine RPM) Would a 4 blade been better for getting on plane (probably). The test reads like an advertorial.

IStream

Super Anarchist
The Bieker 30 footer made from a recycled Ultimate 30 was what got me interested in powerboats. That boat goes a lot of miles every year and the owners love it.

View attachment 479208
I saw Retro for the first time last summer at Lopez Island and chatted with the owners for a bit. Very spartan and not for everyone but it's both unique and special. 

USA 007

Anarchist
Lake Lanier, GA
Here's a different take on sailors powerboat.  My Dad and I have covered over 6,000 miles.  Mississippi River from Minneapolis to the Gulf.  Missouri River from Yankton SD to St Louis.  Ohio River from Pittsburg to Paducah, KY.  The Tennessee-Tombigbee waterway from the Ohio river to the gulf.  The Flint river from Albany, GA to the gulf.  And I'm sure there are a few more in there.  Not to mention many days spent duck hunting and fishing.

May I present to you M/V Dumarse - 16ft Express aluminum boat with a 4-stroke 20hp Yamaha.  It burns 2 gal/hour cruising at 22-27 knots depending on the push of the current. 

Dumarse.jpg

nige

Super Anarchist
I've seen it. I don't pretend to understand how it works in depth (other than "tip vortices bad") 

Mobius propellers scare me a bit.  View attachment 479228

Testing it against a 14.75x15 and 15x15 is great but were those the best props for the boat? I'm not so sure. Were the conventional props deliberately underpropped? (they all reached top engine RPM) Would a 4 blade been better for getting on plane (probably). The test reads like an advertorial.
I looked at these a year or so ago but about $5k each put them out of range for me.   If they really are the bees knees I’d consider it, but it seems very risky - making sure you get the right prob could be an expensive iterative process for my little boat...

MisterMoon

Super Anarchist
Depends on the boat. That's about the slowest my Twin Vee will plane. It likes to go 20 knots. It doesn't really like any other speed.

My 'toon boat will go 16 with the throttle wide open, but isn't happy. It seems to like to go 12, less in chop.
My 5,000 lb I/O won't run at 16 knots, 22 is more like the minimum. It's just too heavy to be planing efficiently at that speed. My next boat will be lighter because I like 16 knots a lot better than 22-30.  

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
Our C-Dory 22 was a good, easy to find and inexpensive sailor's power boat. It would plane at 10 knots and 14 knots was it's sweet spot for me. On the issue of twins, with it's ~5° deadrise two lower units in the water helped in a following sea. Very efficient but too slow for most power boaters. They are loved by the people they suite, though.

It was good for multi week outings if you planned every third night at a marina for showers and ice cream.

Coming into the dock at Sequim Bay. Bonus question. Can anyone identify the anchor brand?

6Hy9sNTRawRWdJTkV2HiPuGCPkambqENd6Xf_WbQ9w4FeQwBHGx4xapMOpVoBLfR4Yoj-caDKYUClKsuWsHSJl0PnVe48joaS4Xa7CYX