Sailors Powerboat

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Shouldn't someone design a well-controlled foiling consumer powerboat with good fuel efficiency?
Plenty around....

IMG_7895.png

BobC

LA
We got too many Bobs going here, including me, who really is another Bob. I'm not ragging on anyone. I just think as sailors at heart,  we should be sensitive to the carbon footprint we leave. As I admitted, I could be mistaken about Bob C's boat.  I'd like to know more.
Sure, no worries, here’s the story. For you and Rasputin.

The  NC11’s efficiency comes from the some of the same ideas thry’re using in modern cars, the engines are turbo diesels and she’s pretty lightweight for her length, 37.5’ loa @12,000 lbs compared to the similar length Backcove 34 @ 16,500 or 18,000 for the Beneteau Swift Trawler 35. 

Also very innovative use of space, that bench seat in the stern is on rails so you can have a swim platform or 2’ more cockpit if you want the space, it. Is forward in that photo. The salon also has a few different configurations you can set up depending on the circumstances. Living in Marina del Rey it’s an ideal Catalina weekend boat and the speed and cruising range, 300nm @ 23kts makes either Santa Barbara, the Channel Islands or San Diego easily reachable. That’s about as far as we will range. 

My wife has done two transpacs and owned three race boats and I’ve sailed 15 Newport Bermuda races and stopped counting when I hit 25,000 ocean racing miles many years ago, we’re not looking for extended range cruising. We’ve both seen plenty of blue water.

Last edited by a moderator:

Hitchhiker

Super Anarchist
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
WOW!!!  That is awesome!!  How much ching are we talking about for this ride?

EDIT: Never mind,  340 G's and more...... .
Agreed, well above my paygrade. But, there is also the 29, which is what started me looking at this brand. After the youngest is out of Uni, and we have moved and left no forwarding address, might just be able to swing the dosh:

Backcoveext.jpg

Backcove29int.jpg

Vin

What are your choices for a sailors powerboat? Go..........................
We did the two boat program for a few years. Could not cruise with 5 on a J33 (comfortably) so we went looking for something downeast style. Came up with the Mainship Pilot 34. Awesome boat for the money and a perfect platform for a small family. When we found that we were racing a lot more than anything and not cruising as much we went full compromise (kind of) sold both boats and got into the Summit 35. If money were no object we would be on a Grand Banks 49. 

I've owned power and sail pretty much continuously since I could first afford to buy a boat with paper route money. After about 50 years of a wide spectrum of boat ownership, and the good fortune and hard work habits to sail and power around for tens of thousands of miles on boats I cannot afford, I've come to some conclusions:

1) The longer I own or operate a powerboat, the slower I go. Anything over 15 knots is truly a waste of capability. 6-8 knots is actually a very nice cruising speed.

2) At the speeds we actually end up running, sailboats under power are fundamentally more comfortable and less expensive to operate.

3) Its the day out on the water that is important, not how far one goes in that day (beyond being able to make the next anchorage). So being able to get to Catalina in 40 minutes or even 2 hours is no advantage to getting there in 4 or 6 hours, as the 4 or 6 hours underway on a nice boat (power or sail) is enjoyable, whereas the 40 minute trip beats everyone up (those over about 13 anyway), and causes the cocktails to spill, champagne glasses to break, and hors d'oeuvres to fly around the boat. The entire experience should be pleasurable, not just the destination.

Hence, the retirement boat is a sailboat rather than a powerboat.

But I know eventually I'll lose mobility and balance, and at that time, a powerboat will again be the vessel. But it will still be a slow powerboat with a very small motor.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
I've owned power and sail pretty much continuously since I could first afford to buy a boat with paper route money. After about 50 years of a wide spectrum of boat ownership, and the good fortune and hard work habits to sail and power around for tens of thousands of miles on boats I cannot afford, I've come to some conclusions:

1) The longer I own or operate a powerboat, the slower I go. Anything over 15 knots is truly a waste of capability. 6-8 knots is actually a very nice cruising speed.

2) At the speeds we actually end up running, sailboats under power are fundamentally more comfortable and less expensive to operate.

3) Its the day out on the water that is important, not how far one goes in that day (beyond being able to make the next anchorage). So being able to get to Catalina in 40 minutes or even 2 hours is no advantage to getting there in 4 or 6 hours, as the 4 or 6 hours underway on a nice boat (power or sail) is enjoyable, whereas the 40 minute trip beats everyone up (those over about 13 anyway), and causes the cocktails to spill, champagne glasses to break, and hors d'oeuvres to fly around the boat. The entire experience should be pleasurable, not just the destination.

Hence, the retirement boat is a sailboat rather than a powerboat.

But I know eventually I'll lose mobility and balance, and at that time, a powerboat will again be the vessel. But it will still be a slow powerboat with a very small motor.

Wise words, carcrash!!!  It should always be about the journey, not the destination.....