Super Anarchist
worldwide
Chuck Paine is a talented designer 

Fast 75 footer 

465DC102-90DC-499C-9793-336F468A01E1.png

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
This thread could use updated Cowmaran pictures and I happened to swipe some from the owner's FB page, so...

With the brand new Suzuki 20's. That T-Top is a pretty cool carbon fiber structure on its own.

Cowmaran2021Suz.jpg

And a look down under the bridgedeck.

CowmaranBridgedeck.jpg

The beams that support the bridgedeck are 4 x 4 carbon fiber posts with very thick walls. They're way too strong and heavy for the purpose, but were leftovers from one of his kids. The first time I drove it through really steep harbor chop, one of those took the top of a wave off. Felt like we hit something really solid.

Russell Brown

Super Anarchist
Port Townsend WA
Some of your boats look like they would be easy and affordable to build. That one looks like it would fall together with sheet materials. Also looks like it could be very comfortable below and still efficient and good-looking.

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
Some of your boats look like they would be easy and affordable to build. That one looks like it would fall together with sheet materials. Also looks like it could be very comfortable below and still efficient and good-looking.

One of his designs that is built with chined construction is a fixture in the Newport, RI charter scene. Red hull. Always smile when I see her sailing.

Dino

Anarchist
Ireland
I overtook Molly Bán at Mizen Head on the south coast of Ireland back in July. I was cruising at 13 knots and it took me ages to pass her. I think she was cruising at around 11 or 12 knots. It is owned by a well known classic boat guy called Hal Sisk. He had her in Kilrush to oversee the restoration of the Dublin Bay 21’s. 
She can store a dinghy on the aft deck under the canopy. 

71900963-2D7D-4076-9897-E4C9CDE93FC1.jpeg

bgytr

Super Anarchist
I've seen it. I don't pretend to understand how it works in depth (other than "tip vortices bad") 

Mobius propellers scare me a bit.  View attachment 479228

Testing it against a 14.75x15 and 15x15 is great but were those the best props for the boat? I'm not so sure. Were the conventional props deliberately underpropped? (they all reached top engine RPM) Would a 4 blade been better for getting on plane (probably). The test reads like an advertorial.
ya seems suspect.  Prop design is a thoroughly developed field, so making claims of some sort of huge breakthrough in efficiency don't seem realistic.  Maybe a few percent under certain circumstances.  But the thing about prop design is if you make a gain under certain conditions, then you will lose efficiency under other conditions.  It's kinda like the bow bulbs on ships- yes they can reduce a bit of drag in a narrow speed range at a given draft, but in all others it will usually be more drag.

boat1

Athens
 I like ribs.

For example Ukrainian Grant.

https://automarinetechnology.com/product-category/еpropulsion-electric-boat-motor/

Ukrainian Grand.jpg

Hitchhiker

Hoopy Frood
Saquo-Pilia Hensha
Just surveyed this Palm Beach 50 today. Owned by a well known SoCal sailor and possibly going to another sailor.  Nice piece of kit.

Not too sure I’m keen on the IPS (iPod) drives! But, it was a nice ride in quite snotty conditions.

366D954C-7CB0-420F-A67A-ACAB43857E5F.jpeg

F1D73E06-AA0A-460E-9FA6-70E0E6B2B60E.jpeg

White Lightning2

Anarchist
PNW
Don't know how closely some of you are watching the outboard motor market but it is brutal. Guys have brand new boats with no motors and no idea when they will come in. Year long waiting lists, etc.

I just got notified my new build was imminent (whatever that means), I thought it would be late spring.

A bit of panic as a specific motor needed to be sourced pronto. Called and surfed around with the same result, 'we can put you on a list.' Finally found just the one I wanted, probably the last one in the area.

It's better to be lucky than good.
OXE 200hp Diesel Outboard | Review| Motor Boat & Yachting - YouTube

Guy that's the local dealer is in the shop cross the street from me. Interesting concept.

WL

Autonomous

Turgid Member
PNW
sla·lom

/ˈsläləm/

Learn to pronounce

noun

1. a boat trip in Maine along a winding course marked by lobster buoys or pot warps.

"the season opens with a slalom on Sunday"

verb

1. move or navigate in a winding path, avoiding obstacles.

"she drove with reckless speed, slaloming in and out of the lobster boats"

Last edited by a moderator:

trisail

Anarchist
I really want to see that thing at full speed, trisail. Video, preferably, but a pic would do.
We only have "onboard footage", but I'll dig it out.

It is running with a 20 year old 15 hp Yamaha which we had from a previous boat. We get 20 kts on the GPS with my wife, myself, overweight dog and a picnic basket onboard. Being a dinghy sailor, I focused on keeping weight down and the minimum of fittings and rigging.