Sailors Powerboat

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
That image doesn't look like PILAR to me?
No, that's Granma.  Started life as a U.S. Navy target boat.

bombtargetboatcropped.jpg

Castro loved the writings of Hemmingway, so to ride into Cuba to begin the revolution, he wanted to arrive via a sea on a Wheeler, just like Hemmingway.  Just one that was bigger.

landing.jpg

Viva la revolución !

5cba72a9c9fd5.image.jpg

Discussing the pros and cons as fellow Wheeler boat owners, no doubt.

Granma is a the Museum of the Revolución in Habana.

Last edited by a moderator:

ProaSailor

dreaming my life away...
Oregon
Castro loved the writings of Hemmingway, so to ride into Cuba to begin the revolution, he wanted to arrive via a sea on a Wheeler, just like Hemmingway.  Just one that was bigger.
Fascinating!  I didn't know about this detail of history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Granma_(yacht)

Shortly after midnight on 25 November 1956 in the Mexican port of Tuxpan, Veracruz, Granma was surreptitiously boarded by 82 members of the 26th of July movement including their leader, Fidel Castro, his brother, Raúl Castro, Che Guevara, and Camilo Cienfuegos. The group—who later came to be known collectively as los expedicionarios del yate Granma (the Granma yacht expeditioners)—then set out from Tuxpan at 2 a.m. After a series of vicissitudes and misadventures, including diminishing supplies, sea-sickness, and the near-foundering of their heavily laden and leaking craft, they disembarked on 2 December on the Playa Las Coloradas, municipality of Niquero, in modern Granma Province (after the vessel), [...]

Landing
We reached solid ground, lost, stumbling along like so many shadows or ghosts marching in response to some obscure psychic impulse. We had been through seven days of constant hunger and sickness during the sea crossing, topped by three still more terrible days on land. Exactly 10 days after our departure from Mexico, during the early morning hours of December 5, following a night-long march interrupted by fainting and frequent rest periods, we reached a spot paradoxically known as Alegría de Pío (Rejoicing of the Pious).
–Che Guevara
Granma-route-mine-20.png

More here: https://www.passagemaker.com/trawler-news/granma-yacht-changed-history

Crash

Super Anarchist
SoCal
I like everything about the design up to not being able to close the engine hatches with the motor tilted up. 
Maybe the owner put a motor on it that is bigger than originally designed for?  200hp vs. say 90hp as a guess?

@last

Anarchist
Pilar is at Finca Vigía "Lookout Farm", Hemmingway's house on the outskirts of Havana.

View attachment 501340

The two boats have both been only a league apart since 1960 (albeit not in the water).
World Wide Sportsman (now owned by Bass Pro) in Islamorada, FL has a sister ship set up in their store that you can go aboard.  Pretty cool retail display and setup with rustic interior complete with typewriter, etc.

KC375

Super Anarchist
Northern Hemisphere

My recollection of my reading (i.e. I’m not quoting from source material but from my very imperfect memory of source material) was that there was no effort by Castro to specifically source a “wheeler.” In fact Granma was far short of the first choice. Rather she was what they could get their hands on.

Talchotali

Capt. Marvel's Wise Friend
Vancouverium BC
My recollection of my reading (i.e. I’m not quoting from source material but from my very imperfect memory of source material) was that there was effort by Castro to specifically...
...insist that all the cats at his villa have six toes.

He was just that much of a Hemingway fan.

Boathavn

Hof & Gammel Dansk - Skål !
Pilar is at Finca Vigía
Apparently it is now Pilar®

The current iteration of the Wheeler Boat company has registered a copyright for the boat's name.

https://wheeleryachts.com/pilar/

Odd they don't have a Granma page.

I suspect the Partido Comunista de Cuba (PCC -Cuban communist party) has not registered a trademark for "Granma".

fastyacht

Super Anarchist
I wonder if all cats at the new Wheeler Yacht Company have six toes?

Perhaps they will trademark cats with six toes as well?
We had a shop dog at the fiberlass shop years ago. He didn't have 6 toes but he definitely was heading that direction. He became addicted to styrene fumes (we figured it out when he waited impatiently for the laminating room to open--he would run under the mould and lay down there) and had to have a detox cold turkey, vet's orders.

Pertinacious Tom

Importunate Member
Punta Gorda FL
I like everything about the design up to not being able to close the engine hatches with the motor tilted up. 
An oil change on my Tohonda requires removal of the lower cowl. Not that much fun, but not that hard when walking around the back of the boat on land.

Working on an outboard in a well is a nightmare and that's true even if the thing closes like it should.

ols

Just adding powerboat recently announced by JPK called Nomad 40 (renderings reminiscent (to me anyway) somewhat of the Loxo from Pogo?) 12meters. Plans to have telescopic supports integrated into the hull to allow longer stays where the tides would otherwise not allow, and aims to be appealing to sailors. Link (french on top and google translate to english version below...)

https://www.jpk.fr/gamme/jpk-nomad-40/

https://www-jpk-fr.translate.goog/gamme/jpk-nomad-40/?_x_tr_sl=fr&_x_tr_tl=en&_x_tr_hl=en&_x_tr_pto=wapp

JPKnomadSummary.png jpknomad.jpeg