Sailors Powerboat

kinardly

Super Anarchist
Its amazing how often 1nm/gal is what people tend to get. I got pretty much the same on our Fountain sport fishing boat, on the Nordic Tug 32 we chartered, on our offshore speed boat, on our lake hot rod jet boat, on both the Fleming 55 and 65 I was fortunate enough to cruise long distance aboard. Somewhat different speeds (8 to 60 knots), but surprisingly similar fuel burns, gas or diesel. Maybe it has to do with what the humans can stand. More power is more fuel burn, but also more noise and vibration, and sometimes more harsh motion underway,
A good friend owns a 50' flat out racing sailboat in SoCal and a 55' Fleming up in the PNW. He spends summers up north and says he can do 12 Kts at 20 GPH or 6 Kts at 8 GPH. Since he's been used to 6 Kts all his life, that works for him. He gets where he wants to go when he wants to get there and so he doesn't see the point of pushing it. And he loves his power yacht. That Fleming would be my perfect stinkpot when the day comes. 

I'll be darned Kirwan, (post 51).  I raced Lightnings out of Seattle in the 1980's and remember Mark Patty's boat.  I remember thinking the same thing about his "piano".  I couldn't believe what I was seeing.  It was too gorgeous to mix it up in a competitive fleet, but he did.   I think he called it (or one of his other boats) Peppermint Patty.  I must have seen him at one of the San Diego NA's or maybe he brought it to Seattle for the 84 NA's.  Do you know him?  Thanks for the blast from the past
Well, it was also the '80s when I was racing Lightnings in SF with Mark and others; he was always the guy to catch (and a really nice guy too!).  His wife is named Patty, hence the boat names - his prior boat was named that, not sure of the wood one.  I moved to Seattle in '89, but sold my boat (#14079, 'Casper') to the Hickmans in Oregon shortly after, cause the (ex) wife didn't like racing.  Haven't seen Mark in many years, just thought his quote was appropriate.

billy backstay

Backstay, never bought a suit, never went to Vegas
A sailor 40' power boat. Previous boat, a Tanton 46' sailboat. Both aluminum built.

View attachment 256436

View attachment 256437

Mister Yves Tanton,

I have tremendous respect for your designs back in the IOR days, of the 1980's, when I was a young man running those boats. I would like to see more detail of this boats interior, as the double keel design is very different and makes sense, but I am having a hard time warming up to the aesthetics of this design?  I hope that further information might bring me around to becoming a fan of this design...

Warm Regards
!!

lasal

Super Anarchist
Denver
10nm/gallon @10knots sounds pretty good.

image.png

image.png

ProaSailor

Super Anarchist
Oregon
Mister Yves Tanton,

I have tremendous respect for your designs back in the IOR days, of the 1980's, when I was a young man running those boats. I would like to see more detail of this boats interior, as the double keel design is very different and makes sense, but I am having a hard time warming up to the aesthetics of this design?  I hope that further information might bring me around to becoming a fan of this design...

Warm Regards
!!
From his blog, November 17, 2015, third boat on this page:

http://tantonyachtdesign.blogspot.com/2015/11/on-drawing-board-now.html

The GLC 40 is under bids now. The ambition is to complete the Great Loop Circuit. Designed for a repeat customer, this aluminum boat is on the simple and rugged side of Yachting.

The project started based on the "Gentleman Cruiser" but evolved to something different, more adapted to the method of construction and the ultimate goal for the vessel.

The interior is for a couple, and does not allow guests to feel comfortable for long, the way it ought to be.

It has been decided to drop the nose to increase the visibility from the pilothouse. This boat is a coastal, river boat with the Great Loop in mind.
228Rpic12.jpg

300RHpic4-JE25-10.jpg

Pertinacious Tom

Super Anarchist
Punta Gorda FL
Looks great but how is it possible? Hull speed should be around 8kts, so 10kts at 1gph seems particularly optimistic, no?  Particularly if something like the skoota gets 7nmpg - know it’s more complicated than that but I’d love to know how/if it works. 
I believe speed/range data on a powerboat after I have personally collected it.

Most powerboaters are about as accurate as fishermen talking about the one that got away.

I really don't get it. Even more than on sailboats, these numbers are very knowable. Why not know the real ones?

I don't mean to be insulting toward the boat you're talking about or the claims made. I don't believe ANY of them until I see the boat actually do it on the water with my own eyes.

Plumber

Anarchist
East
Don't own one of these, but sure would like to. From the man who brought us the Laser.

Classic lines, and low carbon footprint. 

image.png

widget

CT
One of the smoothest most refined rides ever in a run about was in a 30' Hacker-Craft. These wood boats are beauties!

image.png