Sails From MauriProSailing

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist
Long Beach
Now that I've ordered the sheets, it's time to pull the trigger on a new AP Symmetrical chute.

I've ordered a significant amount of gear (blocks, clutches, etc.) from MauriProSailing with good results.

Now I see they have an S2 for my boat made of good cloth (SK75) listed for several hundred ($400+) dollars less than the local guys.

I'm all for buying  local, but when the price delta goes over 10%, it gets me thinking. 

Has anyone had experience buying sails from MauriProSailing? It's one thing to sell harken blocks but quite another to build a quality sail.  

Thanks,

I’ve been tempted by cheaper sails from Mauri as well. Naturally they aren’t building them in house, so I guess the question is, which Far East loft is making the sails?  Maybe they’re coming off the same line as the stuff from North…?

Do they come out to measure your rig?

if there’s fit issues because they don’t measure, is there a local loft to make any adjustments?

When you need service on these Chinese sails, is there a local loft?

Local lofts come measure your rig, custom make sails that fit YOUR boat, and provide service and repairs for years to come.  I’m going to guess that Mauri’s offshore, off the shelf sails, come with none of this.

Yes, I work for a sailmaker.

Pokey uh da LBC

Anarchist
Long Beach
Yeah, I get it. Use a local sailmaker. But like I said in the OP, when the price spread exceeds a certain point, checking around is just part of proper due diligence. 

wilsy

Belfast
Now that I've ordered the sheets, it's time to pull the trigger on a new AP Symmetrical chute.

I've ordered a significant amount of gear (blocks, clutches, etc.) from MauriProSailing with good results.

Now I see they have an S2 for my boat made of good cloth (SK75) listed for several hundred ($400+) dollars less than the local guys.

I'm all for buying  local, but when the price delta goes over 10%, it gets me thinking. 

Has anyone had experience buying sails from MauriProSailing? It's one thing to sell harken blocks but quite another to build a quality sail.  

Thanks,
Sent you a personal message about this 

slug zitski

Super Anarchist
worldwide
Gee, ask the supplier…mauripro …..to send you pictures and descriptions of the sail construction details like leech line, tack, head , clew rings and patch’s ……..

ask the supplier if upgrades of these details …like leech line led to the foot of the sail , are offered

if theses details look good there should  be no reason why you can’t get a decent set of cruising sails online 

you would be wise to carefully measure your sails and rig to avoid problems 

Last edited by a moderator:

Monkey

Super Anarchist
Do they come out to measure your rig?

if there’s fit issues because they don’t measure, is there a local loft to make any adjustments?

When you need service on these Chinese sails, is there a local loft?

Local lofts come measure your rig, custom make sails that fit YOUR boat, and provide service and repairs for years to come.  I’m going to guess that Mauri’s offshore, off the shelf sails, come with none of this.

Yes, I work for a sailmaker.
While I’m 100% in agreement with what you said, an S2 is probably the most forgiving sail out there if you’re going to risk an online order. For a local PHRF racer, I’d probably be willing to go that route if it meant freeing up a few bucks to pay for other sails from a local I trusted. 

Having said that, I refuse to buy sails from anyone except one particular local. Aside from being a friend for many years, he built and modified every sail for my boat in all the years of development before it was mine, right down to redesigning the battens on the main the day before I got it. Being a custom boat, that knowledge is priceless. Hell, he even helped build the damned boat. I’m terrified of what’ll happen when he retires. 

You only need two measurements for a symmetric spinnaker, I, and J (or JC).Both of these are usually a matter of record for each class of boat.  Any other sail should be purchased from a reputable sailmaker who will actually measure the rig.  As Slug said, try to get photos, and details from Mauri Pro to attest to the quality of their product.  

Gyve

I agree that an S2 dimension wise is probably the hardest to mess up...  but my 2 cents on offshore lofts 1. Who is doing the design? I have seen some godaweful ones. 2. SK75 is a good cloth, but I have seen some Chinese lofts that will advertise A and make it out of B - there are many who can't tell the difference.

A local sailmaker who has a reputation to protect is almost always the right call.

Juan Mauri

Hi guys,

Cheaper is not the same as less expensive. Our sails are less expensive, not a "cheaper product."

We are offering an alternative to the way sailboat owners shop for sails.

Savings: We went through every step of the selling and manufacturing sails process; we kept the ones that added value to your transaction and dropped those that added unnecessary costs. Re-thought the whole process and came up with new ideas about how to sell sails. The result is that we were able to save you guys 20 to 30% without sacrificing anything on quality.

Manufacturing: Our sail loft is located in St. Pete. FL. We build all Dacron sails (main and genoas) for small and mid-size cruising boats. For big sails or laminate ones, we manufacture our sails overseas (as most sailmakers do), to be more specific in Sri Lanka, with zero issues regarding the quality of construction.

Measuring: Why not save 20% by measuring yourself. One of the most costly areas regarding the buying sail process is to have "a local person" measuring your rig. We understand sometimes it may seem overwhelming. To take the concern away from our customers, we offer a simple to follow guide on "How to measure your rig," or we can always arrange to have somebody local measure it for you. 

Warranty: Not only are we backed up by a full two-year warranty, but I am putting my name and reputation on the line.

For over 20 years, we have built a great business, a large sailing store, and a global network of sail consultants, sailing marketers, and others. This is no time and will never be a time when we will offer a product that is not equal in value as to the price being offered at. 

Note: Today, MAURIPRO manufactures its sails, our line of Foul Weather Gear, and our Rigging shop is driving.

We list all technical aspects for each sail, including the recommended sailcloth for each application. All tech info is there at your fingertips. 

Check here for Pricing, or Contact us with any specific request (including the need for sail details or any additional technical information._

Link to Sails By Boat

Link to Color My Spinnaker tool, have fun designing the color layout of your new sail.

Keep on sailing!

Latest posts