Sailx status?

Anyone know if SailX is done for good? I was just singing its praises at a nationals event and now I go to log in and it redirects to some other site. Kind of a shame, though to be honest I hadn't been using it for quite some time. It was a good tool for learning the rules. 

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Anyone know if SailX is done for good? I was just singing its praises at a nationals event and now I go to log in and it redirects to some other site. Kind of a shame, though to be honest I hadn't been using it for quite some time. It was a good tool for learning the rules. 
from their Facebook Page:

Hi sailxers. We are sorry we've been out for a while due vacations and some work.
The site suffered a hack attack and we were forced to suspend activity in order to make sure we were safe.
Currently we are studing a way to fix the site security problem along with the issues about the simulator we all know and as you may know that's not cheap...
We know you love Sailx as much as we do and we're trying our best to find a possible solution.
Thanks a lot for your pacience.

Snaggletooth

Morrelle Compasse
Thast a goode notisse, Scot shoude savette forre nextte time.                     :)

casc27

Super Anarchist
Can I have some of what you were smokin when you posted pls... :D
I am given to understand that Snags hasn't smoked\downed\shot\snorted anything in decades. He just lives in a state of permanent flash back. However, I would not trust my source on this. You never know with a cat of Snag's character...

some dude

Super Anarchist
its been a few weeks now.  bummer if its gone for good.  how am I supposed to pass the time at work??

proOC

Anarchist
It was a great racing/training tool.  Great way for sailors to learn rules.

Hope it comes back.

teamt

Their domain name expired on July 23 and I suspect someone else snagged it as it was "updated" on July 24.  Some facebook folks claim that the Ltd that operated it dissolved in Feb 2017.   Looks dead to me.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
from their Facebook Page:
I can't log into their moderator and judge forums and my emails didn't get a response.  I used to be a mod and judge, but I stopped when they changed over to 3D a couple years ago.  It was a huge time investment and it was just a few bad actors that took up 99% of the judging and protest process and swamped the volunteers.  Just too much work for free.

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
Their domain name expired on July 23 and I suspect someone else snagged it as it was "updated" on July 24.  Some facebook folks claim that the Ltd that operated it dissolved in Feb 2017.   Looks dead to me.
We'll see.  Last I was involved a large amount of the coding work was being done by college students as part of their education.  It wasn't "really" a commercial venture at that time.

Last edited by a moderator:
Amando and his brother closed the site for repairs.  There has not been much news since.

Its worrying that they have not kept a page marker on the web address band protected the domain.  JCD and Turbo have been exchanging emails and I think that JCD emailed Amando but I am assuming there is still no news.

Amando has work and business that actually pays the bills and since he has been subsidizing SailX since day one, one assumes that time and resource spent on sailX have to take second priority to work. 

some dude

Super Anarchist
Amando and his brother closed the site for repairs.  There has not been much news since.

Its worrying that they have not kept a page marker on the web address band protected the domain.  JCD and Turbo have been exchanging emails and I think that JCD emailed Amando but I am assuming there is still no news.

Amando has work and business that actually pays the bills and since he has been subsidizing SailX since day one, one assumes that time and resource spent on sailX have to take second priority to work. 
any update? gone for good? was such a great community it's hard to believe it disappeared so quietly 

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
any update? gone for good? was such a great community it's hard to believe it disappeared so quietly 
While it was fun, I think the writing was on the wall back when they started to take it 3D.  It stopped being simple and easy to learn (trim, ease, three buttons for heading) and started become quite complicated.  The top down view was a simple one - the 3D view and constant camera panning to try to get the right angles to see could be a real pain.

I felt like it went from a game that you could learn the sailing rules to a far more "video game" game.

Also, the load on the moderation and judges was enormous.  Too many assholes, from those that intentionally ruined entire races to those who wanted to constantly nitpik the tiniest rule nuance and made simple protests take forever.  We were never, and I mean never, caught up on the protests.

Last edited by a moderator:

Big Show

Super Anarchist
T'ic' o' Fog
It would be cool if someone could bring back the 2D version. It was as far back as late '06 or early '07 that I was introduced to Tacticat, the precursor to SailX. 

At its best SailX was great fun and reinforced good tactical habits. 

+ karma for Amando Estela. 

Grrr...

▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰▰ 100%
Detroit
It was good training for tactical skills .

But the protest room was also good training in the rules.
No doubt.  I learned things that I still use to this day.  For instance:  anticipation doesn't exist in the rules.  You don't have start keeping clear until the other guy's tack is completed.  Or until overlap is established.  That solved a TON of protests early on that the automatic rules system just couldn't.  I.e., how LONG does the right of way boat need to have right of way.

No doubt.  I learned things that I still use to this day.  For instance:  anticipation doesn't exist in the rules.  You don't have start keeping clear until the other guy's tack is completed.  Or until overlap is established.  That solved a TON of protests early on that the automatic rules system just couldn't.  I.e., how LONG does the right of way boat need to have right of way.
Except when approaching the mark zone. You have to be providing mark room the moment that rule 18 is turned on, so you hav eto anticipate.

But yes rule 10 and 11 do not require anticipation and the boat gaining ROW is subject to 15.

There were some great protests and the reference cases had some great examples of difficult situations that occur so rarely in real life. In sailx, the playing field was level because nobody had a boat speed advantage and the courses were short so we saw many more rule situations than we do in real life.  We also became much more acutely aware of small tactical advantages .  It honed the skills of some very good sailors (Eg Steve Hunt) and improved the skills of a lot of amateur club level sailors.

It will be sadly missed.

some dude

Super Anarchist
It was good training for tactical skills .

But the protest room was also good training in the rules.
Agree.  I never messed with 3D.  As a tactics simulator, 2D was great and I did learn a lot in the room.  Assholes got banned pretty quickly, but I do realize (and appreciate) the work all the mods and admins did to keep it running so well