Salsa Line

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
Interesting line. It has more stretch than StaSet per pound of load. An interesting alternative cost wise is Tenex (only use the white as the colors rub off). It has 10% more stretch (as in .36 vs .33) and cost 1/4 as much. The stretch difference would be about 1/64 of an inch.

us7070

Super Anarchist
i'm not familiar with tenex.

but i have used salsa for mainsheets, and travelers. it runs very easily, and works pretty well.

i'm not sure how much of an issue stretch is for a traveler..., but i know that on my boat, i want it very actively trimmed, and anything that makes it easier is good.

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
What boat is this for?

Salsa line is excellent in the hand. Not the lightest, but for a traveler line is not a killer. Keep it away from cotter rings. We have used on catamaran mainsheets, J/24 Genoa sheets and some other similar boats.

Tenex is 12 Strand polyester. Not very common among racing sailors, but is a good utility rope.

You may also want to consider Maffioli - Newswift

Give me a call if want to chat about options/ uses.

Daimond

Super Anarchist
SF Bay Area
I use it for jib sheets and don't think its very good on winches. I have to use an extra wrap. Absorbs water like a spounge.

Agree with the good hand comment.

Edit: works great as a spring line as its kinda stretchy.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jangles13

Anarchist
Maine
I had it (5/16) in my windward traveler. I liked handling it, but it didn't seem to run through the cams well. Like it bunched up under load and during tacks it sometimes took extra fooling around. I've since swapped out to a spare piece of NER Endura that at least runs smooth, though isn't as nice to handle.

Overbored

Anarchist
So. Cal
The line is for my Soverel 33 main traveler it is currently a 4 to 1 windward sheeting with cam cleats I currently have 3/8" double braid and it is a bit stiff , it kinks and does not like the small sheeves on the car.

I am conserned about the cleating of the Salsa and the more I look at the newswift, i think i may be a better fit. 8mm or 9.5 mm ? 8mm should run better in the sheaves but less grip. also thinking about going to 5 to 1. newswift is a bit more money but whats money for if you are not spending it all on a boat

Rasputin22

Rasputin22
We used to wait till late in the evenings festivities at the St Thomas ROlex regatta and wait til the band struck up an Island tune and then just through a piece of line (or rope) out on the dance floor and the Puerto RIcans would have a Salsa Line going in no time... Lots of fun and a good way to get some action going!

/monthly_02_2012/post-33902-029870100%201328662381_thumb.jpg

Attachments

• SalsaLineDancing.jpg
    SalsaLineDancing.jpg
    177.1 KB · Views: 2

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
The line is for my Soverel 33 main traveler it is currently a 4 to 1 windward sheeting with cam cleats I currently have 3/8" double braid and it is a bit stiff , it kinks and does not like the small sheeves on the car.

I am conserned about the cleating of the Salsa and the more I look at the newswift, i think i may be a better fit. 8mm or 9.5 mm ? 8mm should run better in the sheaves but less grip. also thinking about going to 5 to 1. newswift is a bit more money but whats money for if you are not spending it all on a boat
Even though the Soverel 33 is a very powered boat, if you run a 5:1 you'll be fine with 5/16" Newswift. In fact, you'll get away with a 4:1, but have the trimmer wear a good pair of gloves. The cam cleats should not have a problem holding 5/16" line.

Heriberto

Super Anarchist
You might want to check out the Samson MLX or just plain old XLS or even Trophy Braid. For a control line you want a polyester cover or line to grab right in cams.

MLX and Maffiolli have the "wow" factor....

Juan Mauri

Hi overbored,

I am replacing my traveler lines (Farr 39) with 5/16" Maffioli Newswift. For a Soverel 33 4:1 works fine as you are pulling the traveler up when the wind drops (so less load). Regular cam cleats will get the job done. Runs great even on small sheaves.

Note: This is the same line we use on our Hobie 33 windward sheeting traveler system.

MAFNS516 Maffioli Newswift 8 mm - 5/16 in.

Price: $1.69 per ft.

Size / Breaking Strength (daN) / Weight (g/m)

5 mm / 800 /15.8 g/m

6.5 mm / 1.200 / 21.8 g/m

8 mm / 1.800 / 32.9 g/m

9,5 mm / 2.400 / 47.0 g/m

Best,

Juan

P2 Marine

=
Man, I love watching Juan and Rod go back and forth on these topics. An epic battle for sure. On to choice of a traveler control line for a keelboat...

Stretch is OK in a traveler control line. As the breeze comes on I would prefer to see the line stretch to help the boat de-power a bit. In this regard, both NewSwift and Salsa are good choices because they are relatively stretchy lines.

Chafe, however, is a problem for traveler control lines and plaited line is very susceptible to chafing. Traveler control lines run against track at the very least, and in many applications they run against a deck coated with non-skid. For this reason alone I would not choose a plaited line for a traveler control. My second reason for not choosing a plaited line is that if it rests on the deck when you're not sailing the moisture the line holds will cause it to mildew more rapidly than a double-braid.

So what would I choose? A nice polyester double braid that felt good in my hand. You'll spend less on that rope than buying the fancy line, and it will last longer. Plaited lines have a great hand, so if that's what you like go for it. We're not talking about a huge investment here, so there's a very low risk of making a wrong decision.

Cheers,

Rob

@Juan - How's the old Predator doing? I campaigned that boat when it was new, then raced against it to Jamaica in '01. It was hard to shake that boat in light air. One of the best boats I ever sailed.

@Rod - That VX One design looks hot! Good luck with the Texas fleet.

Last edited by a moderator:

Juan Mauri

Hi Rob,

Predator (Farr 39 ML) is doing great. Planning to move the boat to the Caribbean to race a couple of seasons there. Other option is to move it to South America looking forward to Race the Galapagos Regatta and campaign it in the South American ORC Circuit.

Light wind killer for sure, it takes a lot of guys on the rail when the breeze is up, but overall a great ride.

Best,

Juan

CapnCrunch

I run salsa as a genny sheet on a 24 footer - nice on the hands, a bit heavy, lovely running and cleating. The biggest downer is the way it wares - it gets really spotted with pills. Having said that I really really like newswift and now use it when I can.

Btw I asked one of the guys at MP sailing website - dude was very helpful and said that he uses salsa on his J24 genny sheet.

allene222

Super Anarchist
SF Bay
First point. If you have an old somewhat stiff double braid control line, you might try washing in the washing machine with some fabric softener. Put the line in a delicate stuff mesh bag so it doesn't tangle around the agitator.

Second point, a control line is going to have maybe 35 pounds on it and even 5/16 XLS is going to stretch and let the traveler down maybe 1/10 inch. Hard to see that being an issue, or a help.

Third point. This thread got me thinking about line stretch and such so I built a web page where you can enter load and length and a couple of other things and see the stretch in inches or percent (approximate of course) of 27 different lines in sizes from 7/64 to 3/4 (for the sizes the line comes in). The issue it solves is that lines stretch is given as a percent of strength and when comparing lines of different strength, it gets confusing. Now given that it probably doesn't matter, it may not be worth much but I thought I might as well post it in case anyone was interested.

http://l-36.com/line_stretch.phphttp://L-36.com/line_stretch.php

You can readout strength, percent stretch, or inches stretch depending on how much information you give it. I can add more lines if you give me strength and stretch numbers.

Allen

Rodfavela

Anarchist
Texas
Man, I love watching Juan and Rod go back and forth on these topics. An epic battle for sure. On to choice of a traveler control line for a keelboat...

Stretch is OK in a traveler control line. As the breeze comes on I would prefer to see the line stretch to help the boat de-power a bit. In this regard, both NewSwift and Salsa are good choices because they are relatively stretchy lines.

Chafe, however, is a problem for traveler control lines and plaited line is very susceptible to chafing. Traveler control lines run against track at the very least, and in many applications they run against a deck coated with non-skid. For this reason alone I would not choose a plaited line for a traveler control. My second reason for not choosing a plaited line is that if it rests on the deck when you're not sailing the moisture the line holds will cause it to mildew more rapidly than a double-braid.

So what would I choose? A nice polyester double braid that felt good in my hand. You'll spend less on that rope than buying the fancy line, and it will last longer. Plaited lines have a great hand, so if that's what you like go for it. We're not talking about a huge investment here, so there's a very low risk of making a wrong decision.

Cheers,

Rob

@Juan - How's the old Predator doing? I campaigned that boat when it was new, then raced against it to Jamaica in '01. It was hard to shake that boat in light air. One of the best boats I ever sailed.

@Rod - That VX One design looks hot! Good luck with the Texas fleet.
Hi Rob,

Good stuff for sure.

Yes, the VX is coming along very nicely. Mardi Grass Race Week will be the first event, it will be combined with the Viper 640 fleet, so we will see. The boat is a blast and people really loves it. Extremely user friendly and well built. You should get one yourself and start soon, as the fleet in Maryland and RI are already rolling. You'll be amazed how fun the boat is.

Thanks for the good wishes.

Rod

Latest posts