San Diego Port Authority and Bottom Paints

My dive service (Pressley) called me yesterday to let me know that after Nov 1 they may not be able to dive my boat due to new pollution control laws instituted by the SDPA. That's okay, because although I don't like the irritatingly bureaucratic attitude of the SDPA the bottom is 2 years old and due for renewal. Too, I understand and appreciate the push towards environmnetal protections.

So what do SoCal owners & divers reccomend? Given that my current bottom is going to be completely stripped off I'm not really concerned about the cost of the paint; that will be minimal compared to the overall cost of the job. My dive service reccomended a modified hard epoxy - Interlux international Ultra Plus. What else have you seen that works well locally? Weekend sailing only.

I think this is the same frickin group that made Point Loma Sport Fishing replumb their super duty dock wash hoses back to city water, because they claimed that using the SD bay water to hose down the docks was.....ta da....polluting the bay.

Only in f'ng Kali.....

Paddy

Here in the Sarasota area, we have Ultra which has held up very well after one full year. Very warm (88 deg), brackish waters. We have it cleaned once a month for 9 months, twice a month for 3 months. Very hard durable paint. "Practical Sailor" just came out with thier paint tests. Ultra faired poorly, but then they just hang a test board in the water and leave it, not very real world imho. Not the west coast, but we are happy with it here.

ryley

Super Anarchist
Boston, MA
Here in the Sarasota area, we have Ultra which has held up very well after one full year. Very warm (88 deg), brackish waters. We have it cleaned once a month for 9 months, twice a month for 3 months. Very hard durable paint. "Practical Sailor" just came out with thier paint tests. Ultra faired poorly, but then they just hang a test board in the water and leave it, not very real world imho. Not the west coast, but we are happy with it here.
This is pretty real-world if you're not racing, trust me.

The Port of San Diego Divers Permit is not a "law" but is the Port trying to show the state that they are being proactive as regards reducing copper loading in San Diego Bay. The permit is a good thing in theory but as so often happens in practice, shit gets fucked up. So it is with the Divers Permit. The Port is placing a lot of emphasis on hull cleaners not producing a pigment "plume" when performing in-water hull cleaning activities. Just whom amongst a particular marina's staff is qualified to determine what is a pigment plume and what is a cloud of sediment from a dirty bottom being cleaned has yet to be determined, but you can bet your bottom dollar that some poor diver is going to get banned from a marina for simply doing his job and playing by the rules. Shit rolls downhill and hull cleaners are at the bottom of the hill.

In any event, my guess is that walterbshaffer has an ablative paint and Ron Presley is telling him that because his paint "plumes" when cleaned, they may not be able to clean it after November 1st. I recommend Pettit Trinidad. A modified epoxy (so it's hard), very durable with excellent antifouling properties. Two coats, three at the waterline and leading/trailing edges of the appendages and you should get three years of good service from it.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Port of San Diego Divers Permit is not a "law" but is the Port trying to show the state that they are being proactive as regards reducing copper loading in San Diego Bay. The permit is a good thing in theory but as so often happens in practice, shit gets fucked up. So it is with the Divers Permit. The Port is placing a lot of emphasis on hull cleaners not producing a pigment "plume" when performing in-water hull cleaning activities. Just whom amongst a particular marina's staff is qualified to determine what is a pigment plume and what is a cloud of sediment from a dirty bottom being cleaned has yet to be determined, but you can bet your bottom dollar that some poor diver is going to get banned from a marina for simply doing his job and playing by the rules. Shit rolls downhill and hull cleaners are at the bottom of the hill.

In any event, my guess is that walterbshaffer has an ablative paint and Ron Presley is telling him that because his paint "plumes" when cleaned, they may not be able to clean it after November 1st. I recommend Pettit Trinidad. A modified epoxy (so it's hard), very durable with excellent antifouling properties. Two coats, three at the waterline and leading/trailing edges of the appendages and you should get three years of good service from it.
Exactly. It's time to do the bottom anyway so looks like after Nov 1st I'm getting hauled.

Petit Trinidad versus the Interlux International Ultra Plus - aren't these the same thing?

axolotl

Super Anarchist
San Diego
Petit Trinidad versus the Interlux International Ultra Plus - aren't these the same thing?
Ultra is Interlux's version of Trinidad, yes. But I like Trinidad. Can't really say if one is better than the other tho'.
I'm slipped in San Diego (previously Newport Beach) and have used Pettit Trinidad for over twenty years. High copper content is the key and Interlux is similar, with "Biolux" ju-ju added. The only stinker is modified epoxy paints don't ablate so ultimately they have to be sanded off, which compromises the gelcoat so a barrier coat(s?) has to be applied. Also, it's a matte finish which doesn't burnish very well. I've done my own bottom several times and found it easy to work with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Dawg

Ultra is Interlux's version of Trinidad, yes. But I like Trinidad. Can't really say if one is better than the other tho'.
Interlux Ultra is a bit less $$ than Trinidad. If you go with the Red paints they have 10% more copper. Check your paints before you buy.

I'd love to see people start using Vivid with all the different colors to create some wild bottom schemes. They even have a blend chart for a whole color pallet. Draw something and get the Sprayer out. But Vivid is not as potent as Ultra or Trinidad.

Fishhead

Pro line 1088 have the yard add graphite makes the paint bullitproof but takes away a little of the toxicity . one of the SD boat yards was putting it into the vivid white crap .turned it gray but made it a little harder